Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It would be nice if people could post comments below items for sale on e-bay. Can you imagine how many people would get 'called-out' on their fake items? And how many people would be saved from being ripped off.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: Speedracer
It would be nice if people could post comments below items for sale on e-bay. Can you imagine how many people would get 'called-out' on their fake items? And how many people would be saved from being ripped off.

Best Idea I've heard yet

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Excellent Idea!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that would work, ebay isn't going to think so... cool

RANDY
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I think we should start a campaign to make this happen.

Blitz eBay's customer service with call after call on Monday? If they get 100 calls asking the same question, do you think it would get to someone that can make things happen? I think sharing the idea, as well as explaining why would be important.

Just thinking because it's such an excellent idea. It would be important for comments to be kept clean, follow eBay's policies, and also so they could not be blocked or modified by the seller. Now how great would that be???!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you're dreaming... will never happen. there is no value added to ebay as a business.

and the mere manpower needed to monitor every listing's comments, not a chance.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Wishful thinking I guess

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gr8_signs, Speedracer and Brice what are you folks going to add to the conversation?

Hell, what are most of those in the Petro Hobby going to add to the conversation?

If anyone on Oldgas has ever had to ask: "What is this worth" or "Can someone give me some background info on this item and/or Company"? Then you are NOT knowledgeable enough to make decisions about and therefore statements about the authenticity of someone else's items.... I include myself in that group...

I have never had to ask what something was worth... But, I do not have knowledge of way too many Companies that existed from the 1900s up to the 1990s.... And if I am not familiar with these Companies, then I sure the hell am not familiar with all the items and products they sold and the advertising they used to sell their products...

I don't know anyone who is 100% familiar with every Oil Company that existed and every item that was produced... That is why, "The New Discoveries" Forum in PCM Magazine is so interesting...

Here on Oldgas, so many times, way too many times! Someone will post an image of an item(s) and ask questions about it... And there are always "experts" that proclaim the item(s) to be "fake"...

And then a Member with actual knowledge of the item(s) with give the correct "pedigree" and background of the item(s)...

This happens a lot with the smaller Regional Companies (especially if they didn't last long and were merged into a much larger Company) And with foreign products... Signage that is not common to the U.S.

So imagine that YOU, put an item up for auction on Ebay.... And with a "New Policy" pushed through by "Newbie" Oldgas Members... Those with no actual knowledge are able to comment on your items?... Those making the comments, don't have to prove to anyone that they have any actual knowledge about any segment of the Petro Hobby. Let alone specific knowledge about YOUR item...

They may not like you, so they could make up BS about your item... Kind of like the "star rating" system that was discussed here on Oldgas...

I knew for a fact that enough Members dislike me, because of my caustic attitude and the "tone" of my posts... That if possible most if not all of my posts would receive negative ratings... Even if the posts where 100% factual....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I submit that anyone making a comment as described be banned from bidding on that item. Who is to say that someone would not proclaim an item to be fake in the hopes of keeping the bidding down.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Bob. No matter what is in place, it will be abused. Like the old cliche, rules are for honest people. Dishonest people will always find a way around them.

The problem is dishonest people...not e-Bay or the reproduction signs.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: GILMORE
Never looked at these to closely, these are hidious!...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-4-FT-HOOD-...=item4ac59a3f75

From the infamous lacie51... http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-STYLE-18-HOO...=item25937444bc

LOL, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HOOD MAN? HE LOOKS SPUN OUT ON SOME TYPE OF DRUGS. WHAT A POOR ATTEMPT AT A REPOP.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Then you are NOT knowledgeable enough to make decisions about and therefore statements about the authenticity of someone else's items

in this case, you are wrong Bob. I knew the sign was a repop, and I knew the sign was worth $32.95. I think my statements of authenticity of this sign were spot on.

But as for the othe info I offered Bob... I was giving factual information of how I evaluate questionable signs. I was not stating that I know the history of Hood tire company or of any company.

I was offering my thoughts, aka contributing, where I felt it would be helpful.

If you are going to ridicule those that offer insight to others, then there will be no one left to contribute to the site.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brice, it is true that you called the Hood sign, correctly...

As I said, if one has to ask the value of an item or ask for help finding information on the background of an Oil Company... Then they do not have the knowledge to pass "judgement" on any else's items...

All it takes is one time making a comment on an item and being wrong. There is "no replay" button to push; to correct any potential and actual damage that may have been done by being incorrect...

Something to think about; A good portion of the most knowledgeable Members on Oldgas, do not pass judgement or even comment on other Member's items... (that leaves me out, because I comment on other Member's item much too often)

The one's I've talked to about this subject, realize that there is no such thing as being 100% positive... And all it takes is being wrong once...

And the result of being wrong can injure another Member's Reputation and/or destroy a possible transaction ...

And they wouldn't want that to happen to them, so they won't do to anyone else....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
The strength in numbers of a discussion forum is that there are some collectors who have lots of experience in Mobil or gas pumps and not nearly as much in Gilmore or oil cans. If we share what we know from experience, every person doesn't need to be an expert at everything. I can learn form you and we can both learn from the next guy.

The people who act like they know everything about everything usually don't.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Amen to that last sentence Jim, Amen.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved