Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
We never got along but i still want to send condolences & prayers to his family

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Originally Posted By: Iowa99
It just shows, don't put off a visit with a friend, because you are busy, they might not wait for you.

You never know. A life can change in a heartbeat and you can miss an opportunity to connect with someone you intended to ... someday.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I will miss Dick, a man who I am proud to call my friend. We would visit and always had fun. His knowledge helped me and many others on many occaisions. He was always ready to pull a joke on people and yes he was hard on new guys but he was a blessing in my life. Rest in peace my friend
Maurice

Originally Posted By: indiananationals
We never got along but i still want to send condolences & prayers to his family

Guys on the receiving end of Dick's gruff comments often never understood his intent, only the rough delivery sunk in. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have wasted his time. He thought he could make a difference in each person he conversed with on the forum. We disagreed on how to deal with people sometimes, but nice and tactful doesn't work all the time either.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick was my mentor when I came into this hobby,he showed me soo much and was always willing to help in any way..even though he was a little gruff,that never bothered me cause that`s who he was and I understood that ..he had a soft and funny side..I`ll always cherish the time he came to visit my family and see my collection..he helped me create some fanasty cans and t-shirts and that was fun doing that.. I will miss him a lot and all the pm`s we would do!!I`m very proud that he was my friend.miss you allready.
Big Al

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most everyone has said it all....As a moderator of one of the sections, DB would send me some posts and sometimes I removed some of his...but, we always exchanged some great PMs and learned much from him. We recently had a great exchange about my being too busy at work to get to some gas shows. Told him Iowa was on my "bucket list." He told me to get off my "bucket" (butt) and get there. He told me if I went next year we would get together....dang it.

I have done too many eulogies for friends the last few years, but i will say, "Today we are heartbroken, but heart break is the price we pay for love." So long, DB, best friend I never met...

Last edited by Alex; Sat Aug 30 2014 09:32 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Always looked forward to DB's advise. About two weeks ago he was helping me with something I couldn't figure out. Here are two of his direct quotes when I couldn't figure it out:

"IF you were next door right now, I'd walk over & slap ya SILLY! IT's SOO EASY, even a Drunk can do it."

"How many times did you fall off a 2 wheeler before your dad removed the training wheels?"

See... he still makes us laugh. I will miss his witty comments, his advice and knowledge. RIP DB.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Dick answered a lot of questions for me and once told me the only dumb question was the one not ask. We all lost by his passing. Thoughts and Prayers to his wife and family.

George Sager

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Go back over twenty years ago and standing at the Charlotte Swap meet, a friend of mine told me to call a guy named Dick Bennett. When I was restoring pumps heavy, Dick became a go to guy for help with finding pump parts and finding guys who could help with problems I couldn't solve. This is before the internet and cell phones were everyones solution. It was so much clearer over the landline when he told you how easy that was and how dumb could you be. This man took the time to help someone he hardly knew and had never met, and I am a better man today for it. His desire to help someone in the hobby without any hesitation has prompted me over the years to do the same. I hope someday someone will say some of the same things said of Mr. Bennett here, about me someday. I know I will have succeeded in life when they say that David was a Dick too.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Sorry to hear this news. He and I shared some fun PM's back and forth. Genuinely fun. This is another sad reminder that all this fun stuff we chase day in and day out is just that- STUFF. At the end of the day, whether we like it or not, we leave it all behind and move on. It's the relationships that we have with others that truly matter. Condolences to DB's family during this hard time.

Mac

P
P
I knew Dick Bennett for 25 years..I met him at Pomona, and we became friends that day. He guided and helped me avoid buying reproductions, typical mistakes by a newbie. He welcomed me into his home with his lovely wife Judy. My eyes popped at first getting to see his fantastic collection. He showed me various old Gas Station sites inthe Santa Paula area . We went to the Union Oil museum and viewed his handwork. An unforgettable man, With unforgettable talent.

I hadn't seen Dick in person in 15 years , But I kept in touch on the phone and by email so.. Dick and Gas Pump Rob last Saturday came to pick up my collection I had sold to Dick.. It breaks my heart learning that He passed.. He didn't even get to enjoy what he came for. It was a pleasure to meet Rob..He truly was watching over Dick, Reminding him to take it easy, Rob moved all the heavy stuff. You could see the love and friendship between them. I told Dick to feel better and if nothing else hang in there out of sheer spite.
My condolences to Judy, and to you Rob. The world will be lonelier without him for a lot of us.. Rest In Peace Dick.. May God lift you up into His loving arms, and bring Peace and Comfort to Judy and all of us who were fortunate to have known him. You won't be forgotten.
With Love, Big Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What a great eulogy for a great man.....some people talk about the gruffness and i know many who are the same,(me)for one, LOL, however that was his way of showing love...there was not a mean bone in his body, just a great love for the hobby and it showed....I feel very fortunate to have exchanged 5 emails with him the night before..

Last edited by roadrelics; Sat Aug 30 2014 04:04 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I must admit I have been p*ssed off all day today... I knew that db was not feeling well and I had asked him to go to a Dr and/or emergency room to be checked... But, he always deflected my concerns and steered the conversation to another topic...

When talking together whether over the phone, by PM or email... He was always telling me to take care of my health problems and then we would joke that we would "outlast" the younger guys...

As a few others have noted, I imagine that God had a question about a pump that he just couldn't wait to be answered...

I will miss our late night West Coast conversations, your humor, knowledge and most of all your friendship!

Take care my friend and hopefully we will reconnect on the other side of this journey...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
wow Hate to hear this. Thoughts are with his family. R.I.P. DB

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not good with words but can tell you I was very upset when I hear about this yesterday. I will miss you Dick.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved