Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Doesn't seem real. I met the professor through a buddy that got me into collecting this stuff. When Dick found out that I collected Union Oil of Cal. he couldn't have been more helpful. Think I'll go out to the shop & have a cold one for him;......me too.:(

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
frown Oh DB what are we gonna do without you? You scolded me a few times but it didn't bother me because you taught me so much. I'll never forget when you took time out at Iowa Gas to give me literature on a Boyle-Dayton "Viso" pump that I bought there. I was really looking forward to seeing you at Iowa next year. That's what stinks about missing a gas show, you're taking chances on never seeing one of your fellow collectors again? Thanks for all of your hilarious comments and for wearing that homemade Bennett belt buckle with the Bennett wings you always had on. I know you're walking through a killer junkyard surrounded by 36B tops, hopefully you finally found that stationlighter you asked me for. God Bless him.

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ohhhh no…. So sorry to here this. Dick Bennett will be missed. I never got to talk to the man, but I sure wished I could have. I can't believe this. So sad...

Braden Splichal

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very sad to hear. Never met the man. I'm not sure how old he even was. But, he was a constant on this site. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. R.I.P Dick.

(I'm glad to see even those that he didn't get along with had the decency to pay their respects. I respect that.)

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
What a shock. First, thoughts and prayers to family and close friends. I have known DB for many years, but only saw him yearly at Iowa. We weren't good friends, mere acquantiances I'd say. I first met Dick when he hauled a showcase pump all the way from California back to Iowa for me - MANY years ago. Boy did he whine smile - not sure if he was really upset about the hassle and the weight and the long distance - or that I pulled a great pump out of his back yard :)) Ha ha. He helped me with info many times and connected me with others who could help when he couldn't. As mentioned, he was a wealth of knowledge! Funny that we had a collection of his quotes posted here just hours before his passing. Perhaps Jim can make that thread a permanent fixture here along with these memoirs as a tribute to Dick? Can't imagine how much time he had logged in here at Old Gas? RIP DB - hope you got to take your 36B tops with you...

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Godspeed Dick, prayers going out to Judy & family.

Online Cool
Our thoughts and prayers for Judy and all Dick's family and friends.

Just yesterday we exchanged emails about his health and issues he cared about on the forum. He was waiting for his health insurance to kick in on the first of September so he could get some tests run. He was feeling bad. Wish the new month could have come sooner so he could have gotten some help a little earlier.

It's too bad that so many who thought DB was a heartless, mean old guy never got to really know him. It is true, he could dish out the brutal truth to a newbie or a self-centered user. But once you got past that tough exterior, you'd find a guy who would help you when you needed it and knew more than most others could ever learn about petroliana, especially about gas pumps. He often admitted to me in private that he had been too rough on someone, but only regretted the tone of the comment, not the facts or the need to deliver them.

We going to miss the color commentator and gas pump professor here on the forum and at swap meets in the future. DB really cared about the hobby, the historic knowledge and real collectors. He had no patience for those who were in it for the money and would take advantage of others for their own gain.

Rest in peace, Dick Bennett.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHAT? I just got home! Him and I have been friends for along time. Rode together to Iowa a couple times. Tell me this is a bad azz joke!

Rob, BlackTee, Mick,,, NO NO NO

Last edited by st.rod; Fri Aug 29 2014 07:57 PM.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm truly hurt by this.

Give em' hell Dick!

Dick and I tagged teamed a few that ain't on this site anymore. Sent me joke I will post and see if it gets deleted. Funny I think I'm still on double secret probation because of him..

Last edited by st.rod; Fri Aug 29 2014 07:54 PM.

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I met dick at Iowa gas he was a nice man. Nothing like he came across on here. What can we do for his family?

Showcase Feature Host
Showcase Feature Host
I am truly saddened to here this news today. I just spoke with him a few days ago, and he was his usual self. DB was old school and that one of the things I liked about him the most. He wasn’t afraid to tell you how he felt or what was on his mind. This site has lost a very Dear member, and the hobby has lost a wealth of knowledge.

To his wife and family our thoughts and prayers go out to you. DB aka “The Professor” rest in peace my Friend.

Anthony

Wanted anything Flying A Gas, Signal Gas, Hancock oil co, and Sunland.

Thanks Anthony
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really sucks. Adios, Professor.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
A few months ago my pm was flashing and when I clicked on it and saw it was db I was a scared that I was about to get berated for god knows what. It was actually a nice helpful message and we went back and forth for a while about some issues on oldgas that we agreed on. I felt almost proud that I could enjoy that exchange with one of the most knowledgeable and respected members on here.

My thoughts and prayers go out to dick and his family.

Jonathan

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'm still shocked by this. So here is a repeat of what I just posted on facebook.

"OMG! Really??? The Professor? A lot of people thought we didn't like each other but that was just at the beginning. Once we both figured out that we where both just sarcastic a**holes we got along great. But people still thought we hated each other because we would feud on oldgas but we would be messaging each other behind the scenes. It was like a game for us! We had a blast making people wonder who would say what next. Damn this hurts! Love you DB. He was the most knowledgeable and greatest contributor to this hobby that I have known."

Last edited by RARIN TO GO; Fri Aug 29 2014 08:45 PM.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Sad news. Prayers to the family. Sold him two roller nozzles and a 36B top and he helped me out on several projects. He will be missed.

Bill Fortune
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved