Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Smokey Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This isn't to start a war, or to cut apart the people who cut signs apart but for a newbie to learn whats right and whats not. I'm used to 25k 55 Chevys that are drivers to 150k 32 Fords that are driven 130 miles in and out of trailers until they are sold 8 years later.

How in depth does one go in or on a sign? I understand one likes to leave porcelain alone, how some get cranky over new and old tubes, but what about the clips and screws? Do you refinish or get the clips and screws replated or galvanized? How about the can? Do you get the replated or galvanized too?? Or is just dropping them off with the local powder coat shop good enough? Or is spray can of Hammer Tone from Menards or Home Depot good enough? On porcelain, how much is to touch up or not to touch up? Or do you leave them alone and just hit them with Wink to remove the rust streaks and polish them to a nice shine? Do you touch up the chips with One Shot or do you have Carquest take the camera to it so they can mix one up a half of pint of PPG basecoat?

Reason why I ask, the certain person who I visited did have signs that were touched up about to about 40% of it. Granted it was nicer aka a good 20 footer but not perfect. Seeing spray can this, spray can that, powder coat this and that since it was easier than cleaning it up in his or her shop and then putting price tags of 5-30k on them.

Is that the norm??? I also went to a show out of state before the holidays and noticed another person like this but then see the booth at Barrett Jackson with his vending machine, scales, and other things like that that were dead nuts perfect quality wise.

Last edited by Smokey; Thu Feb 13 2014 09:35 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do what you like. Everybody has an opinion-some moreso than others. I recently had a sign professionally "repaired." The sign, in my opinion, is iconic and the damage was to a spot that was just not attractive. I only had one side done, so there is no question about the authenticity of the sign years down the road. Anyone with a brain can look at the sign and know that one side is in authentic condition and the other not.

I have several signs that have lots of patina. Many such signs have one side that one can at least live with and there would be no point in spending the money to restore them-just spend a little more money and get a better example.

I also have a sign that is scarce, if not rare, and it is vey tempting to get it "fixed." The danger there is that it is one sided and years down the road the question of authenticity could be muddled.

So, there is no really easy way to answer your questions. You can search the site and find various threads that discuss the issue.

As far as the BJ world, that is so far out of touch with reality that I guess it doesn't matter what it takes to snare the stupid(s') money.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sounds like there are two different things here...

1. If the sign is yours: Dave is right... do what you like. If you want to do a full nut-n-bolt restoration or leave as-is that is entirely up to you, but just remember what you have at the end of the day is yours and nobody else can change that.
Also building off of what Dave said...as an example (this is adding in my opinion grin ), a Deusenberg (or rare sign) should be meticulously restored or preserved because of what it is and the history behind it, but a regular mustang (or common sign) maybe not need so much in the way of a detailed resto. <--Some may disagree, but I'm not taking into account the numbers matching factor, etc, etc....

2.The person mentioned is running a business. To get more bang for their buck they might opt for a lower quality restoration rather than going all out, but it depends on what their end user is looking for. Sounds like they are targeting different audiences and can bring higher/lower quality stuff according to venue too. At the end of the day its business.

Not sure if that helps or not, but just adding my 2cents worth smile

Thanks,
-Paul

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Restoration as an owner is strictly optional and personal preference. Many collectors into neon are not going to re-neon a working unit, but they will restore broken/missing neon to enjoy the sign to it's fullest. General collectors can go either way, usually depending on cost and how much is needed to restore a sign.

Resellers fall into 2 groups, flippers and retailers. Flippers don't want to spend extra money unless it really mean a serious payday and unless the turn-around is quick(which flippers need) are not as likely to restore/repair signage. Retailers will opt for restoration/repair if their clientele is of the type that will pay for the expense of having it done.

Cost of restoration/repair can be pretty expensive if you get one of the big names in the business to do it. But there are plenty of competent individuals who have taken up the task now and again, and their work is usually significantly cheaper than the big boys. Then there are the seat-of-the-pants restorers whose work does little more than rob the pocket of the owner/flipper.

Personally I like signs in all conditions since I do flip them. But I dont' typically foot the bill for repair/restoration because I make my money when I buy the sign not by putting hundreds more into it after purchase.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You can always restore it but, once you do it will always be restored.

S
Smokey Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all your thoughts!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved