Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I need some guidance in pricing an original porcelain Good Year sign I've had for many years. I plan to take it to a swap meet later this month and because of its size I believe it would have a better chance of selling there so the buyer wouldn't have to pay for expensive shipping if I listed it on ebay (it's large and heavy).

The letters spell out GOOD YEAR and comes with the winged foot that goes between Good and Year. Each letter measures about 24-3/8 inches high x 27-1/8 inches wide and the winged foot alone measures 23 inches tall x 86 inches wide.

The sign is genuine Good Year, the back of each porcelain letter and the winged foot has a painted stencil marked "Property of Good Year Tire and Rubber - W73" which I assume means it was made in 1973. All of the letters and the winged foot are in perfect condition with no chips in the porcelain. I bought them from the property owner of a former Good Year Tire store and removed the sign personally from side of the building and have had them stored in my barn for about 30 years (they were only outside subject to the weather in Dallas, Texas for 11 years). They are in mint condition to be 41 years old. All of the letters and the winged foot still have the original mounting brackets on the back.

A smaller version of the same sign sold on ebay in December for $1425 plus $50 shipping. That one had 12 inch high letters. A smaller version of the winged foot alone sold on ebay last month for $850.

The buyer of this sign would need a large building to mount them on because of their size (probably too large for a 2-car garage) which I presume limits their marketability.

I was thinking along the lines of $1200 at the swap meet. That's $100 per letter plus $400 for the winged foot. What do you think?
Thanks,
Fred

If you are not driving your antique car frequently you might as well be collecting clocks!

Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Anywere from 1000.00 to 1500. Seen just the foot go for $745.00 in that type of condition.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
OP Offline
Thanks for the feedback Bbburke. Anyone else want to chime in with their opinion?

If you are not driving your antique car frequently you might as well be collecting clocks!

Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bbburke
Anywere from 1000.00 to 1500. Seen just the foot go for $745.00 in that type of condition.

Ditto.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved