Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Dwaine.... How old is your grand daughter ??

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hannah is 6, and she loves all my stuff. She loves to get gum out of the gumball machine. she loves to set in the Barber chair, in the station and ask questions. but I don't expect her to keep the collection.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Dwaine, don't bet against your grand-daughter not wanting your collection (or at least part of it). Sounds like she's already "collecting" memories.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Dwaine.... Hannah sounds like a real keeper... I just happen to have an 8 year old son..... hmmmm....... and if Elvis would get with the program maybe little Seth could make an impression on her if she likes younger men.
Anyone else out there have any prospects for Hannah.....
Just kidding Dwaine, but it is great that she likes your stuff and we know she really likes her grand-dad..... how could she not.
bob

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Now I know I'm a bit late on this topic, but it's just too good not to jump in! Personally, I like complete globes. I also understand some collectors are okay with single lenses. It's still America, and their right to choose, whether it's for profit or not. If you don't like the arrangement, don't buy! I've bought single lenses myself, and can't sleep until I find the globe it's matching mate! I also couldn't bear to split up a complete globe that was a KNOWN "All Original" piece (meaning it was found N.O.S. in it's shipping box). From a purist point, it no longer can be "Totally Original" if a single lens is sold, and the other remains. If I have to sell a globe, I hope to always be able to sell them as complete. Complete globes are they way they were made, but if someone splits a globe and it makes two collectors happy, then who am I to say it's wrong. I'll always go for complete
globes...It's just the way I feel...

Sinclair Joe
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
deleted

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
EVERYONE HAS RIGHTS AND NO-ONE SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO INTERFERE WITH THOSE RIGHTS………The beauty of any hobby is the collectors right to collect whatever turns him on. Our hobby is no different - barn hangers only? mint signs only? just oilcans? just Mobil or just Sinclair? signs only? Globes - whether partial or complete? The hobby is fun because most everyone respects the rights of others to collect what they want and how they want. INCIDENTLY, anyone that feels embarrassed having a single lens globe on their shelf, should call me - you can unload it cheap. Likewise, anyone that feels guilty having a single lens on the shelf they refuse to part with - call me - I might be able to complete that globe for you. PERSONALLY, I could use a few more of the rare Richfield lenses, whether in sets or just a lone soldier…..I’m only picky about condition, not the quantity. Thanks.

------------------
Ron Bettin
740-774-OHIO(6446)
bettin@bright.net

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're right Ron. No-one should interfere with someones rights. I don't think anyone has. We're merely debating the topic of splitting globes.
I have quite a few single lens globes myself, but I'd never split one for profit. I'm pretty confident none of my singles came from globes that were split. I don't want anyone splitting a globe for me to buy, but I too would like to hear from anyone that has an existing single they'd like to sell.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have talked to a few of the guys here that are thinking the same thing as me and this is what we are trying to say. Singles lenses are ok! The topic is taking a perfect complete globe and splitting it up weather it's for profit, needing money, what ever. It just seems hard to believe someone would split a good globe. I have a single even though I don't like them. It's a single because the back lens is broke. Lenses get broke, that is not what this topic is about. I don't know of anyone that has a single that wouldn't like to complete it someday. If some ones wants to split a complete globe... well they must have a reason. We are not talking about how awful it is to have a single lens in a collection and that you should sell it. This is a good topic and I like to here others view points on Splitting complete globes.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You got it John, we all would and have bought single lenses. And I as a collector would never break up one of my globes. but a dealer would if money is involved. I've seen Turlock Bob take a globe and split it just to make a few extra bucks. Steve Castilli bought 25 globes for 250 each split them and sold off the singles for 250 each. to some its all money. but like Ron Bettin says . this is America we can do what we want. and I agree. thats what I fought for.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
No one is interfering with anyones rights here,what we are haveing is a discussion on the spliting up of hard to find,rare if you will globes.The opinions are not being used to formulate a law or code.Do what you must.
Naturally a traditional collector will have a different view than a dealer.HTH.Rex

------------------

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC,, AND I THINK MOST POINTS HAVE BEEN COVERED.. TO SUM UP,, DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY,, IT'S YOUR STUFF,, HAVE FUN,, SPLIT A GLOBE,, PART OUT A PUMP, CUT UP A RARE SIGN FOR A REPAIR ON A PIECE OF FARM MACHINERY ,, OR KEEP YOUR HARD EARNED TREASURE TO THE DEATH.. DO WHAT YOU NEED,, SO YOU MAY LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.... AND HELP THE HOBBY EVERY CHANCE YOU GET................ `````````T-BONES 2 CENTS````````

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved