Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Dear Oldgas friends,

Here Pablo Medrano from Barcelona, Spain.

I collect Michelin tire old ads and enamel/tin signs, but this time I email you as a graphic designer and journalist (my job). I'm writing a book about Character Trademarks in old tire industry.

I need your help and information about some old characters and the story of his Tire Company like:
- Hood Tires red man service.
- Polar bear from Gillette Tires,
- Fisk Tires sleeping boy.
- Lotta Miles from Kelly-Springfield Tires.
- Bull-dog Braender Tires
- Paul Revere rider from Revere Tires.
- Old Man Mileage from Republic Tires.

And some other characters.

Thks for your overseas help and time. Sincerely, Pablo (pauvictoria@arrakis.es)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does anyone know if you can look up "online" old patent drawings "blueprints" for things like old gas pumps?

I think it would be cool to get a patent drawing on one of my old bowser c-110 visa pumps to see how all the parts were "correctly" supposed to be and work.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Travis, I'm sure there's a tie in with your reply to the topic posted, but I sure can't figure out what it is?

Here are some tire guys though

C Cragg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis -

Go here:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/patimg.htm

...and enter the patent number...good luck...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sorry, sorry - the topic!

...the Aumann Auction Company probably has a really nice photo of the Kelly Tires, "Lotta Miles" girl...I can't see why they wouldn't allow you to use a photo, if they were given credit...

...come to think of it - they'd probably have a LOT of photos from past auctions in their database...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis.... What the HECK are you talking about???????

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Thunder -

I own a trademark - WORLDWIDERADIO - and when I applied for the mark I had to supply a drawing of the mark. In the paperwork I read where if you apply for a patent you need to supply a drawing of the item, more like a blueprint.

The Model T Ford guys are using the original drawings to re-make parts for the T's. I thought it would be cool to have the blueprints for some of the odd gas pumps to see how they originally worked inside and out. Like on my Fry Speedboys - there is a lever no one can find out what it works or does...

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
O.K. But what does ANY of that have to do with old tire advertising????

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Because he brought up writing a book about Character Trademarks in old tire industry. Those drawing prints would be the best place to get things like that. And it is also the best place for me to look for what I need to. We can knock 2 birds with the same stone.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now I've got it..... Pablo from from Spain is looking for information on old tire advertising in America, and you offer to help in his efforts, by asking about gas pump patent drawings. Then justify that, by telling us, yet again, about your "Online Entertainment" business, and your Model T cars...... Clear as mud now.....

Pablo. Welcome to the best darn petro site on the web. You are not alone as we have many members in Europe. I dont know if this will help or not, but this link is to one of the many monthly features here. This one is a "Sign of the Month" featuring Tire Signs. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress....
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001437.html

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thunder,
There is no need for a slam like that... My online entertainment business is CLOSED and has been for YEARS - yea I was bragging to you.... huh? Wana buy a Model T – you can buy them all day long for 3 grand, YEA I WAS BRAGGIN AGAIN!!!

Since pauvictoria is looking for information about some old advertising Character Trademarks it would be FOUND AT THE SAME PLACE WHERE I NEED MY INFO… And many thanks to gulfiend! for answering that question.

You do not seem to understand that they trademarked everything with drawings from pumps to parts to their "character TRADEMARKS" and signs. Why do you think that Pablo call them "character TRADEMARKS"?

You can still get all of the information about them today if you were to know where to look… It should all be on file at the USPTO but they make looking online for it kind of hard….

Pablo,

What you can not find here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/patimg.htm
You can find here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=9jnt7o.1.1

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 07-15-2006).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a cool example of what I was talking about and why the links where needed for us both:

============================
Word Mark KUMHO TIRES
G & S: Aeroplanes, Amphibious airplanes, Dirigible balloons airships, Hydroplanes, Aircraft, Helicopters, Motor buses, Passenger cars automobiles, Passenger cars for more 7 passengers, Bicycles, , Traction engines, Motorboats, flap, wheels , Electric locomotives, Tires for vehicle wheels, Tubes for vehicle wheels, Tires for airplanes
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 24.15.04 - Arrowheads
26.17.12 - Angles (geometric); Chevrons

==========================

You can get even more using the links provided... PLUS you can get a drawing of the sign!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 07-15-2006).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pauvictoria is looking for COPYRIGHT IMAGES
Towel is looking for PATENT DRAWINGS

NOT THE SAME
Dick

P
OP Offline
P
Dear friends,

Here again Pablo from Barcelona.
First, thanks for your nice help and information about my project book.

THanks to the poor mans museum
Yes, I know these nice trademarks, the 1950s Smiling Goodrich Tire "Smileage", a modern version of the 1910s Lee Tire & Rubber Co pneumatic smiling face character "Turn miles to smiles". Also I knew the Mr. Allstate Sears on ashtray versions, not this nice graphic image (anyone knows his story?)

And thanks to do it more clear, Thunder II (I knew this nice link) and Dick Bennett. And thanks to travis_towle, sure you sincerely wanted to help me.

Please feel free to continue.

I'm a serious researcher on old Tire advertising in US and Europe, specially in character trademarks.

Also I have a large collection of old Tire Companies ads pre-1930. I'm trying to rescue from forgotten the story of old Tire Co, like Hood, Fisk, Revere, Gillette, Mohawk, Republic, Braender, Marathon, India Tires, Dunlop, Hutchinson, Ajax, Quaker, Continental, General, Pirelli, Goodrich, Lee, Savage, Cupples, Oldfield, Miller, US Tires, ... and much more which uses different character trademarks to sell his Tires.

A very cheap employeers who talk us from the pages of the mags, the old ephemera papers, the enamel and tin signs and figure displays.
Also I'm interested in the different advertising agencies and illustrators who worked on these wonderful years of pioneering automobiles.

Sorry for my large message and my sure horrible english, I hope I do not seem to you a pedant and boring Oldgas member! I hope you don't be "tired" about me and my research.

Of course I will help to anyone who have a doubt about it, my information is not only for my own profit, it is to contribute to general knowledge!

Best regards from Mediterranean Barcelona.
Sincerely, Pablo (pauvictoria@arrakis.es)

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved