J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Decided this should not be aired here.

Jack Sim

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 08-22-2008).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Mr Sim

You are 100% right and I have always enjoyed you books

ward zaharia

[This message has been edited by ward zaharia (edited 08-22-2008).]

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thank you!

Ed
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jack,

Your books are the best thing that has happened to this hobby!! Dont let anybody tell you different. (Even though I do disaggree on some of the pricing...this is only a minor thing. After doing some thinking and asking you the questions and got satifactory answers, I have put to rest this issue.) You have done what know one else has done...put together a book to identify a lot of odd, rogue, and rare pumps, not to mention the thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of hours of research on these companies How many of us will ever in person lay eyes on some of these pumps, most of us never. Jack has done something that most of us could only dream of doing. If you have ever had to do research, then you would know how pain staking this task can be; especially wading through city records, pattent records, and copy right records. If it hadnt been for Jack how many of us would ever know what a US visible or a Wisconsin visible even would look like. How many of you have seen a real Wayne 55, 56, or 60-T. Most of you never have.

So to all the people here who are ruled by Greed and are upset about the values of pumps...remember this: A pump (sign or globe for that matter) is only worth how much someone is willing to pay for it. So if you can ask more than book value and get it well then good for you. I have had pumps for sale and cant get half of what the value in Jacks book. Do I complain...NO and dont really care if it sells or not.

Jack also remember this...You cant please everybody all the time and some people you just cant please. My hat goes off to you for all the hard work you have done. And a job well done. Maybe in your next book (if you write a 3rd edition), leave out the values...the will really torment the ungreatful.

That is my five cents worth and my opinion.

Have a great and wonderful day!!

Easy G. Butler

[This message has been edited by TN Volunteer (edited 08-22-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's real easy to cross out the values & add your own.
MOST [not all] Canadian pumps are a sight variation of American pumps & were manufactured by American companies with offices/manufacturing in Canada. Same with Mexico.
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cant even tell you how many times i have already picked up the new book to find something out.weather price,pic, or history, it has taught me something every time.going out and finding a nice pump, $2000 dollars!jacks pump and airmeter books,priceless!!like db said,put your own value there.at least ya got a place to start!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Most everybody on this site has a pretty good idea what gas pumps are worth...and those who buy/sell a fair amount have an even better idea. For me, these "priceguides" have always been more for those people who are just starting out or who really don't have much of a clue. And Jack's book works famously to that end. I've never gotten the impression that Jack is a big buyer/seller of gas pumps, and I'm sure it was quite difficult to price so many pumps when you're not in the business of doing so. The large majoriy, IMHO, are pretty darned close. The ones that aren't...well...as it's already been said...a pump is only worth what someone will pay. There are many, many times when I will sell a pump at two-three times + it's "book value". Would I say that's how much the pump is "worth"? No I wouldn't. But I would say that that was how much that pump was worth to that person.
Good job, Jack! Keep up the good work!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
A big Thank You to Jack for taking the time to do the books, it is greatly appreciated.

As far as I know (hope I am not out of line here) Jack used several experts in the field to help with pricing, then averaged it out, I think. It will never be ideal for everyone, it is just a guide & opinions expressed at the time book was being put together..

Things change over time, sometimes the availabilty of repops can affect the price of originals.. it sure did on Whizzer bikes..

Keep up the good work Jack..

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE ON THIS SITE SO QUICK TO CRITICIZE OTHERS..SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING ON HERE TO HELP OTHERS AND THEN MAN LOTS OF GUYS JUMP ALL OVER IT LIKE A BUNCH OF VULTURES.....Seems to me Jacks statements are based on research NOT guess work or one sale or purchase.
Great job Jack Sims,,, luckily they are in the minority ..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Day 242
Somebody makes a negative comment about one of the books.
Jack then complains about writing the books.
Everybody else then slaps Jack on the back and tells him how great the books are.

Repeat weekly.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure why the harsh comments, Ohio Oil? Jack took the time, energy, money out of his schedule and wrote these books, to give us in the hobby another reference outlet. Anyone who puts worth an effort to improve the knowledge of this hobby, in my opinion should be commended, not scorned. My opinion. But we all have our own opinions. Jack wrote and completed these books while fighting ill health, a feat that I don't think most would do. I'm not a pump guy, I wouldn't know one manufacture from another. If they were falling from the sky and one could have a certain pump by naming it while falling, I would be smashed into a pulp before the most common pump came to rest. But I have Jack's first pump book in my small research library and I will be getting Jack's second book, because they do give someone like me a look into a part of this hobby that I have no knowledge of. So Jack, Curt and David, members here who have written books and pamphets deserve all the "pats" on their backs as possible. To remind us all that without people like these history would be lost not perserved. Again, my opinion.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Bob, sorry if you thought my comments were harsh, that was not my intent.

I believe the members of oldgas have been
99%+ complimentary about Jack and his books (myself included) and I gotta believe it has been a great forum for Jack to promote his book.

It would be great to hear about the positive aspects of writing the book. I would love to hear about the different and colorful people he has met in his travels promoting and writing his book. How about the immense joy it much give him to see someone open up his book at a show or auction and make reference to a particular pump? Or his continuing gratitude to this site and members for always supporting him and his book?

Personally, I love the book and there isn't a week that goes by that I'm not sitting down with a cup of coffee looking at it. I am appreciative of Jack's efforts and truly believe his book is the most important book ever in our hobby.

F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
OK Ohio Oil... Back off and slow down.
It is obvious that you do not know what Jack was fussing about in the post that he deleted and decided not to "air here"
Jack's original post had nothing to do with someone making a negative comment about one of his books.
I read the original post, (before deletion) and I agree with Jack's take on it. It had nothing to do with what you all are assuming.
Please don't jump to conclusions unless you have all the facts.
A big thanks to all who support Jack's work.

------------------
Frank

Frank
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Jack's original post was about an offer that he perceived to be unacceptable. Since he chose to air it here, he must be willing to accept comments positive or negative as with anybody posting on this forum.

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didn't think Ohio oil was harsh or out of line,In fact I think he was fairly accurate.
Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved