Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38192 Thu Jan 03 2008 10:19 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Jusr curious...does anyone collect newer type gas pumps. Example: a pump type from the 80's or 90's. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38193 Thu Jan 03 2008 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your local pump repair and maintenance business.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
#38194 Thu Jan 03 2008 01:57 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
If I can pick one up real cheap, I like to keep one around that works. Sometimes you can trade a farmer for an old one that does not work for the newer version that he can get parts for. Richard

#38195 Thu Jan 03 2008 03:30 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hey, Richard is right on that. I have trade acouple of times with farmers and still have acouple of trade deals working, also I can buy late model 70's Bennets chrome / stainless steel gas pump from my Kerr McGee local jobber for under $ 100.00 & shine up the chrome and sell them at local car show for the 60's 70's muscule car guys to seat around there cars at home and at shows. Not sure on any pumps newer than 70's era. Hope this helps Cas & Soda 4 Me. Cash

#38196 Thu Jan 03 2008 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been messing with this stuff for over 20 yrs.
When I started, everyone wanted visibles.
I was picking up 36-B's, A-38's,Wayne 60's,
for $25.00 because they weren't being sought after like the visibles.
I bought several 117 Fry pumps then for $100.
There is no telling how many pumps from the late 50's, 60's and 70's I turned my nose up at and thought noone would ever collect those ugly things.
Just goes to show you what time tells.
It is what people remember, the nostalgia.
Now I would say YES, one day they will be collectable, give them 10 or 20 yrs.

One of my favorite pumps is a Bennett 700 series....could that be due to the fact that they were in use in several Sinclair stations when I was a kid? Ahhh... still remember those warm plastic dinosaurs, fresh from the machine.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#38197 Fri Jan 04 2008 04:40 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I like the Gilbarco High-line series pumps. These are from the 80's and 90's and look like E.T. with a white head. I still see lots of them on my routes as a gas pump calibrator, and a few around the yard at the shop. If I had a good place to keep them for 30 years until they become collectible, I would take as many home as I could.

#38198 Fri Jan 04 2008 04:53 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'LL TELL YA WHAT I'M ONLY 30,, I HAVE FRIENDS THAT ARE NEAR 40 OR SO,, THEY HAVE SOME HEMI'S,, BOSS MUSTANG'S,, CHEVELLE'S ETC... THEY ALL WANTED 70'S STYLE GAS PUMPS TO DISPLAY IN THEIR SHOPS.. ORIGINAL GRAPHICS PREFERED,, AND THEY CAN FORK OUT $50.000 ++++ FOR THEIR CARS ,, WHY WOULD THEY NOT GIVE $500.00 FOR A PUMP TO MATCH THE ERA THEY GREW UP IN?? THEY DID.. JUST MY 2 OR 3 CENTS..

#38199 Fri Jan 04 2008 05:34 PM
G
G
hey guys, i see were telling our age, eh!
isnt it amazing how usually our favorite things are from the era we can relate too ..
personally, i like the 50's stuff .. guess that why we have bennett 900/1000 seies pumps and a 1951/56 fords ..
does that indicate im over 30, 40, 50 or maybe even 60, huh, huh!

[This message has been edited by gearhead (edited 01-04-2008).]

#38200 Fri Jan 04 2008 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
gearhead: you're a young at heart 60+ year old. Am I right?

#38201 Sat Jan 05 2008 04:39 AM
G
G
scott, it sounds like the two guys talking and the big guy finally said to the other fellow... im a TEXAN .. oh, i new that the other guy replied .. the texan asked... well how did you know? was it the way i talk or my big ranch, all my university degrees, my big service station memorbilia collection, or my big... or my big... [u get the pic] .. nope, said the other fellow... it was just the way you picked your nose!

#38202 Sat Jan 05 2008 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I picked these up for 5 bucks a piece from a station that closed around 2000. My Father-In-Law thought the Diesel Pump was cool so it sits in front of his shop. I need the front and back skins to make them complete. Hooked the double up to electricity for a front yard light until the Wife said "NO".
Mike

#38203 Sat Jan 05 2008 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ive seen some pumps at a phillips around here that are 90s and pretty cool.and you can do some neat stuff with the 70s pumps and not feel to bad
By oldnfuelish

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#38204 Sat Jan 05 2008 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They do look better than Gum Ball machines ! LOL

#38205 Sat Jan 05 2008 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I wanted to share this with you guys..
I recently drove by an Old Texaco gas station that we drove by nearly each morning throughout the 1960's-70's as my Mom drove my Dad to work back then-(only owned one car).I would later pull in there too on my Raleigh chopper to get air in the tires and a Dr.Pepper..The station is still there,but it's just the old building with two fluted lamp posts mounted on a cement island in front of it.Now everything around it has been built up & modernized.
I thought I would knock on the door,and didn't expect anyone to answer when lo & behold a grizzly old man answered the door.He was real suspicious of me and gave me a stare that would make Ernest T. Bass quiver.
He asked what I wanted,and I said I grew up near here & was just curious if you still had any old gas pumps,pics,signage or stories from decades ago.Right away he asked to see me drivers license,as a few strangers ask the same question of him then come back later to try & break in his old building for items he just showed them.
I assured him I was no thief,and not really looking to buy anything today.He took my license & Xeroxed it,which was fine with me.Once he did that,he changed.I mean he did a complete 180 degree with his attitude and showed me around like a museum curator for 3 hours.He even put on some soup.I couldn't believe it...All the stories he recanted.The cars he worked on..Repair order invoices beginning with the 1940's.People with hats & canes waiting for the cars to be worked on..The longhaired mustaches who would pull in with their cars with sidepipes..8X10 Pictures of the ole station from the 1940's through 1980's.With cars from those years all over the pics too.Showing his Eco air meter,a Lubester,Revere lamp post,Windshield papertowel box,Anco & Trico wiper cabinets,island oil can cart,all shown in these pictures in their natural setting.Even the infamous pop machine dispenser I remembered so well.He and his employees took pictures of everything throughout the years.
His garage bay areas were so soaked with tools,you couldn't make out anything specific,just metal items.
The old gas pumps were brilliant in these pics!
I mean you could see his first gravity pumps,then the switch to clock face,then finally switched over to computer pumps until the day it closed in the late 1980's early 1990's due to poor business and his deteriorating health..All of these documented in the pictures he has.
He showed me pics Of The old Texaco corner Banjo sign I remember so well.Nearly 50 feet tall in brilliant Green,Red & White with the circular Star on top..Looking like it was just installed a day prior,that somebody eventually drove up and removed in 1989.He always thought it was Texaco Corporate who removed it after he closed shop,but found out later on it was actually stolen by banditos,looking for scrap metal back then.They unbolted it's base,sawzalled the electric,and lowered it into a truck only half it's size at 3AM.No one was ever caught or charged.
I asked him about the vintage Soda side machine that I remember so vividly and he said it was stolen one night by someone with a truck & chain.
I always remember running over that black rubber ground hose with our bikes as kids,just to hear that bells metallic "Ding~Ding",then bolt away as someone would walk outside from the bay,usually swearing at us.He said that was probably him,as most of his staff let him do that.
I am trying to get him to sell me that Bell today,as that's an item I would pay dearly for if he can find it.
"The Gas pumps?",I ask,"what of the gas pumps?".
He smiled & walks me back to a special hidden cove in the back,and there under a dim light are four,3 digit readout circa 1970's A.O Smith Stainless steel Texaco gas pumps.Like the one in Micks picture above.
Two unleaded,and two leaded.All still holding their heritage with protective blankets wrapped around them and inspection stickers dated as such.Gently worn,and not abused.Nice patina and character on each,used until the day they closed their doors.Each looking like they worth $1000.00 to me,as they were just as I remebered from my youth.I honestly couldn't believe it.I was touching my past!
He said those pumps and the two original fluted lamp posts,(each with 2 inches of paint protection),mounted on the outside cement island were all that he had left of the old girl from her hey day,aside from the photos & the building which was barely upgraded to work out of today.
I asked how much he wanted for the pumps,Flat out,"How Much Do You Want!"..He looked at me & said they were not for sale at any price.
He's gotta be past 85 years old,so I understood him loud & clear.He wanted these items and the pics to hold onto.This explained why everything was all collected and stored properly.I didn't feel right about buying those pumps at any price.They belong with him.
He has let me back in there a couple more times since,as he knows who I am now and that's really all I wanted.
Just to walk in and remember those days as much as he.

[This message has been edited by coldpizza (edited 01-05-2008).]

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
#38206 Sat Jan 05 2008 12:16 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great story Coldpizza! Your honesty and trustworthiness is by far more valuable to him than the value of any old pump or sign would be to you. You now have the satisfaction of knowing that you've befriended someone & given them an opportunity to share their memories and experiences with your memories. Keep it up!In the end you'll be blessed! Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved