Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You got that right! However look at what's selling on Ebay, people paying stupid money for repro, at lease Redhotrelics is selling mostly, that I can see, original signs. Sure they're expensive but if someone will pay that than why not. Overpricing items is not really an issue with honesty IMHO.
Originally Posted By: Richard Sponholz
I realize that no one has a gun to the head of any buyer but his prices suggest to me that he is fishing for the unsophisticated buyer. I do not think most buyers on this forum fit that description.

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Thu Jun 20 2013 06:42 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
But Richard, your SUPPOSE to make an Offer!
[LESS Fee to ebay]

Mike M. #424199 Fri Jun 21 2013 06:25 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I paid 100$ for it. You have to understand I have to resell my items...I am not looking to lose money or break even. If I got lucky and bought this sign at a garage sale for 20$ then i would let it go for 75$.
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
I was going to just move on as I got my answer as to this sign being real but after 2 shots, I had to...challenge this one!!

[quote=redhotrelics]Thanks mike! If you want to make a fair offer on it I am interested in selling it...

See here's a perfect example of a seller pricing alot of his stuff way high but always saying "If you want to make a fair offer on it I am interested in selling it..."
So after looking at all the completed auctions Dick listed, all were in very good shape compared to this sign. The one that sold for $81 was alot better shape so my curiosity got the best of me....
I made what I felt was a fair offer of 75 due to the plates condition compared to the others, and his counter offer was 150 so as much as he talks of his high pricing being no big deal, I think it is!

IMO prices are doing just fine at climbing in this hobby without being pushed... I know I have always used the "reserve" box when I protect my self on e-bay.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
My ebay store is marketed to collectors. Now once again i will reiterate that my items are up for BEST OFFER. Anyone is free to make an offer that they feel is fair. Whether I choose to accept it or not is purely my decision.

- Anthony

Originally Posted By: Richard Sponholz
IMO this seller's prices are nowhere near the current market price for his signs. I will give two data points: He has listed an A&P sign on Ebay asking $350 obo. Last September I sold the same sign at the completion of a worldwide no reserve auction for $57.79 to a fellow in Denmark.
The second example is his Mercedes Benz parts sign for which he is asking $2500 obo. Ten years ago, and I know 10 years is a long time, I bought two of these signs for $150 each from a seller in Germany on ebay germany. I figure the sign's market value today is $800 tops.
I realize that no one has a gun to the head of any buyer but his prices suggest to me that he is fishing for the unsophisticated buyer. I do not think most buyers on this forum fit that description.

Dick Bennett #424205 Fri Jun 21 2013 06:40 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Why do you always feel the need to badger me and knock me? Every topic that my name is in or an item of mine is discussed in you have to chime in and say what I feel is unnecessary and inappropriate rude comments. I try to talk professionally on these forums and I would hope that you can respect that and do the same. I understand you may not agree with my prices and believe me, I am okay with that. I just ask you to be a bit more polite to me and I would greatly appreciate that.

Thank you,

- Anthony

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
But Richard, your SUPPOSE to make an Offer!
[LESS Fee to ebay]

redhotrelics #424218 Fri Jun 21 2013 07:46 AM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
All I wanted to know was it a repop or not and didn't care or know anything about what they sold for. You are the one that came at me for questioning it and opened the door for all this.
If you pay to much for something thats your business. I have done this before to get something for my collection that I really want but I don't expect just because I did that I should make money when I sell it.

IMO your not a collector but trying to make money on buying and selling items that are a big part of a hobby we love and protect. And because we like to protect the hobby we love we have a tendency to dislike when someone sets prices way high instead of letting the market place and economy set them.

It's your right to price how you want but if your doing that with cars, houses or anything else you have to understand there's going to be people who hate it done this way. So either stop feeling guilty for doing it by replying defensively to every question or change your ways....

Good luck with your sales and let me finish with I may not like your pricing ideas but I like what you have!!! And were not trying to hang you for selling repops as old originals LOL

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #424228 Fri Jun 21 2013 09:19 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Mike my quote before was actually directed at Dick Bennet; not you. I don't have an issue with anything you have said on the forums. I actually think you are a decent person from what you have wrote. I would hope you would edit your response from before. Thanks bud

redhotrelics #424278 Fri Jun 21 2013 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll slap myself as I get Another BEER before I read anymore.
Opening a door is "like a box of Chocolates. You never know what your gonna get".

Dick Bennett #424603 Sat Jun 22 2013 07:13 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Redhot ,I will say this for you .You have always conducted yourself like a gentleman on here .I don't know why some members have to attack people who don't agree with their ideas .As far as prices go (IMO) you can ask any price you want .If your signs bring high prices then that makes mine worth more .I guess some of the oldtimers wish they could still get the signs cheap so they could buy more signs ,but I am glad the prices are rising .I think it is great that a sign I paid $100 for 10 years ago is worth $300 now .If you don't mind I have one question for you .You said you paid $400 for the 15" Texaco .Where did you buy it?

redhotrelics #424727 Sun Jun 23 2013 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Last edited by JimT; Sun Jun 23 2013 09:02 AM.
Texacopumpdog #424728 Sun Jun 23 2013 07:46 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I bought the sign from a private collectior about 20 minutes away from me in North Jersey.

Texacopumpdog #424736 Sun Jun 23 2013 08:13 AM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog
Redhot ,I will say this for you .You have always conducted yourself like a gentleman on here .I don't know why some members have to attack people who don't agree with their ideas .As far as prices go (IMO) you can ask any price you want .If your signs bring high prices then that makes mine worth more .I guess some of the oldtimers wish they could still get the signs cheap so they could buy more signs ,but I am glad the prices are rising .I think it is great that a sign I paid $100 for 10 years ago is worth $300 now .If you don't mind I have one question for you .You said you paid $400 for the 15" Texaco .Where did you buy it?

Billy, No one went after Anthony until his replies came at me for questioning one of his signs as being real or not. If you read the whole thread you would see this. And if I'm an old timer at 55 and I'm trying to make a 22 year old understand that you can make just as much selling alot of things at lower prices than one at a much higher price. Just remember if Prices go too high too fast then everyone will want that for theirs and inventory will dry up as you will have to pay more and more....

Here is a simple example, A few years ago you could find High performance Mopars all around for under 5 thousand that were in good shape. now you have to pay 20 for a piece of *****. Bidders at barrett jackson overpaid for these cars and then everyone who used to buy these cars at reasonable prices and fix them up to make a few $$ no longer could. The Market now is coming back down on them and the ones that are really screwed are the ones that paid too much when the prices were up.

Your signs will keep rising as they always have but all us "Old - Timers" are and were trying to do was protect the hobby as we have been around long enough to see other things get priced high to fast and boom- problems.

Also Understand I don't know Anthony, But it was not an attack on him, Just education for all of us. Last night I let him know through a PM that one of his signs on e-bay was a repop and sent him the thread from some time back showing him this. Most of us here are on Old Gas to have fun and protect the hobby we have been apart of for a long time and some time our opinions may seem like an atack but were just trying to save you youngsters with some of the things that slapped us in the face when we started collecting.

Thanks
Mike

Mike M. #424761 Sun Jun 23 2013 09:36 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog

Billy, No one went after Anthony until his replies came at me for questioning one of his signs as being real or not. If you read the whole thread you would see this. And if I'm an old timer at 55 and I'm trying to make a 22 year old understand that you can make just as much selling alot of things at lower prices than one at a much higher price. Just remember if Prices go too high too fast then everyone will want that for theirs and inventory will dry up as you will have to pay more and more....

Here is a simple example, A few years ago you could find High performance Mopars all around for under 5 thousand that were in good shape. now you have to pay 20 for a piece of *****. Bidders at barrett jackson overpaid for these cars and then everyone who used to buy these cars at reasonable prices and fix them up to make a few $$ no longer could. The Market now is coming back down on them and the ones that are really screwed are the ones that paid too much when the prices were up.

Your signs will keep rising as they always have but all us "Old - Timers" are and were trying to do was protect the hobby as we have been around long enough to see other things get priced high to fast and boom- problems.

Also Understand I don't know Anthony, But it was not an attack on him, Just education for all of us. Last night I let him know through a PM that one of his signs on e-bay was a repop and sent him the thread from some time back showing him this. Most of us here are on Old Gas to have fun and protect the hobby we have been apart of for a long time and some time our opinions may seem like an atack but were just trying to save you youngsters with some of the things that slapped us in the face when we started collecting.

Did your PM have to do with the FORD sign that was just ended?

Jerry Westfield #424766 Sun Jun 23 2013 10:05 AM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No it was a Sinclair PPP

Thanks
Mike

Mike M. #425265 Mon Jun 24 2013 09:00 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
.I did not mean anyone in particular .And I definitely did not mean you.I was just saying you can disagree without being disagreeable.Redhot never lost his temper.I admire a person who can keep a cool head when getting drug over the coals.I should have made it clear that I was not talking about anyone in paticular.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved