Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Pickwick looks phony. .

really #419207 Thu May 30 2013 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Of course it's an unmarked repo, what's your point?? Unmarked repo's are the scourge of the hobby but they exist, if you want to buy them all and destroy them more power to you, start buying all the repo gas pump parts including panels, bezels, decals, site glasses, etc etc. Point is they exist and there's nothing you can do about it except educate yourself and other folks that care. Griping about a seller who honestly describes something as a 70's repo is baffling.
Originally Posted By: really
It's an "unmarked reproduction"...period........same term that always is used here in a derogatory context.

Neil Gerrard #419219 Fri May 31 2013 04:19 AM
J
J
Neil, I agree with you, the repo items are the scourge of the hobby. Part of my collection includes some late 1800's and very early 1900's paper farm related advertising. Much like the Andy Rooney signs we here about on here all the time, a company called Fire Art America copies the original late 1900's paper advertising. Much like Andy Rooney Signs, they make it way to easy to pass this junk off as something of value in the secondary markets. This process has some down side to the value of our original collection. Those of us that collect this paper advertising talk about it from time to time, but we still think that people willing to enter our category of collecting can tell the a real item from a copied item. We also accept that some people are not able to pay hundreds of dollars or even thousands of dollars for the real deal, so they turn to collecting copies that they can afford. Again, most of us accept this.

My original post was made because some people have taken the position of "Do as I say, not as I do". The original auction I called out "eBay #171040417266" is a great example of this.

The seller of this auction is walking on both sides of the fence. On one hand, she is not happy that anyone would do anything to devalue here collection, but on the other side of the fence she will sale unmarked reproduction items that are not within her near and dear collection. Sounds like she should run an elected office. That way she can talk out of both sides of her mouth, and it will be accepted.

Last edited by Jerry Westfield; Fri May 31 2013 04:21 AM.
ddkinsey #419221 Fri May 31 2013 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: ddkinsey

This is another of the... don't buy anything from them when they sell fakes.

I believe this is your quote that people are calling you out on.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Dick Bennett #419222 Fri May 31 2013 04:54 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
WOW, someone got on here crying about reproductions and they are selling reproductions themselves! Sounds hypocritical to me!
Just sayin...

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Boy you all really miss the point. I have always said there is a market for repos. It is the dishonesty that is the problem. Artificially ageing, lying, misrepresentation. My business is Antiques and collectables whatever that collectable be. Having a porcelain sign made that never existed and calling it rare and old is a different kettle of fish. Reproduction items are here to stay. They have a place in the market. You all know my listing is from the 70's and a reproduction so obviously I did not misrepresent it. I have a feeling some on this thread just want to pick a fight.

ddkinsey #419251 Fri May 31 2013 09:01 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
NOS should never be used in association with a reproduction item. I am not tryind to "pick a fight". NOS refers to an item that was produced during original mass manufacturing of the original item, and was never used in the final assembly or in the work place. Aftermarket or reproduction is a copy of the original. Even if that item is 40 years old, it is still a copy of something that was originally made much earlier. A fender for a 40 Ford coupe made in 1940 and never used is an NOS fender. A fender for the same 40 Ford made in 1970 is an aftermerket fender. Just because the fender is now much older does not make it NEW OLD STOCK. I have thirty years in the advertising collecting hobby and I am certainly no expert nor do I claim to be. But I have picked up alot of knowledge, experience, and terminology. I bought the books and still study them today. I have gone to the shows and have educated myself on the subject, to the best of my ability. I still remember the days of Collectors Auction. Those catalogues are an invaluable tool for me when a problem piece arises along with the other books out there. When NOS is used in those books and at the shows around collectors,I know what that means. To start using NOS in association with aftermarket and reproduction items will only muddy the water of an already cloudy arena.

wocopep #419259 Fri May 31 2013 10:26 AM
J
J
One more great quote I have read went something like this:

"Be part of the solution, not part of the problem"

WOW, where did I read that one?

wocopep #419263 Fri May 31 2013 11:38 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I guess I should have said decorative aftermarket reproduction. We will have to agree to disagree on the NOS. How about we debate the word VINTAGE, used and abused on ebay?

I think all this nit picking on my listing is counterproductive to the bigger picture. I am not trying to rip anyone off is the bottom line.

I heard through the grapevine that there are members of oldgas that are some of the problem sellers on ebay, creeping around stirring up trouble.

ddkinsey #419271 Fri May 31 2013 12:24 PM
J
J
I did not hear it from the grapevine, I spotted it on eBay in one of your listing where you were listing an unmarked reproduction item and describing it as NOS. You are almost as hard headed as the repop seller Lacy that came on here and tried to tell the world how his stuff was great. Take this to the grapevine, you are part of the problem in my book. You have promoted yourself to be this great leader in the fight against fakes, reproductions, and other misleading practices, yet you got called out on the floor for doing the same thing. I do not think you aged or altered the item in question, but you used terms that a long time antique dealer should know is wrong to use when describing a $10.00 reproduction item. And yes, you are motivated by greed because this same POS can be found for $10 and you are asking 3X the fare market value. I have vented, and I know I have the support of many members of this site. Break out the polishing compound, your image needs a little cleaning!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't believe I am writing this:

But, how about.... Everyone "step back and take a deep breath"?

Diane, used a term I wouldn't have... She has said, that she used a poor choice of words in her description...

As to it being "unmarked"? It is marked with a 1970s date, unless I read wrong? No I just checked the Auction again, it does read "Date of Origin" 1970s ? and says Reproduction....

But, how did this thread go from a question about a CONOCO pump plate, to an attack on another Oldgas Member?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
You have a right to your opinion, as I do. I have not promoted myself as anything. I don't pretend to know everything.
Your attack of my business is over the top, exactly what is your motivation? Overreaction to the term NOS ?

Go look in the mirror and polish all you want.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved