Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mr.T Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a couple of really great porcelain signs that are in really nice condition on the front side. But the back, has pitting and rust from being hung outside during their active service period. I was thinking of brushing on some Por 15 or other rust nutralizer to stop the rust process from bleeding through and potentially damaging the front of the signs. I think this would be a better option than waxing but it is permanent. what do you guys think? any other suggestions?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
would you post some pictures of your project?.. cool

RANDY
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I lov POR 15 and if you want it to last for ever that would be a good choice. I would skim coat it with filler first and then spray the Por 15. It looks really nice sprayed.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Por 15 needs to react with the rust to do its job right, filling the pits first would defeat the purpose of stopping the rust.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
M
Mr.T Offline OP
OP Offline
M
even though this is the back of a sign would this potentially lower the value of a sign? I guess I am asking this as a general question as I, as well as every other collector have this problem. my motive is one to preserve the signs current state and retain its collector value. we all know when rust starts it will continue to eat through till there is no more metal. my inside hanging signs will deteriorate at a slower rate but sometimes the backside is too rough to hang on a nice wall without cleaning them up. I would hate to take a wire brush and just start grinding, throw on primer and paint but, sometimes it takes more than a coat of wax and elbow grease to remove the scaling rust. does the back of a sign really matter in the long run?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Could you post some pictures of the rusty backs ? I have over 70 porcelain signs and none of them have rusty backs. The only porcelain signs I've seen with rusty backs are the reproductions from India and South America.

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I agree with Scott, they just dont rust unless fake ones or dug up out of the ground. The bare spots with no porcelain may show rust but it sounds like yours is worse then that. Pictures would help.

M
Mr.T Offline OP
OP Offline
M
ok heres my texaco marine sign. old sign and has been weathered. some of the "pock" marks on the back have (chipping)of the porcelain and has produced bare metal and the metal has rusted over the years. you can see from the second photo where this area has produced a hole through to the front. I agree that porcelain signs do not have major rusting problems except where the porcelain has been chipped off. this is my question. what is the best way to preserve this type of damage without ruining the value? on metal signs this type of damage can cover large areas on the back of a sign.

130331_0000.jpg 130331_0001.jpg 130331_0002.jpg
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
As long as these signs are not exposed to something that will speed up the rust process i would leave it alone

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Honestly, the sign looks as if the "pock marks" are "Man made". To me, they look uniform and seem to be almost in a straight line... Like rows... I very well could be wrong, but the back doesn't look "right" to me...

I've not seen a sign "in the wild" rust or to be pock marked in a pattern like this one... Maybe others here have experience with this, that I am lacking?

This Texaco sign is one of the most repopped signs in the Hobby... I would like to see a very close-up of the names on the boats... Can one easily read them? On most repops I've seen, the names are fuzzy and "out of focus"....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion. Dont paint them. Dont mess with them You will lower the value. Also especially in todays day and age the back helps authenticate them. If you "have" to do something, maybe clear on the back wouldnt be too bad.

Last edited by JimT; Mon Apr 01 2013 02:55 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree. Just clean it up and leave it as is.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that sign has patina & shows well-
hang as is & enjoy.. cool

RANDY

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved