Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
O
Quote:
the hosts could just visit different collections to see what people have, and learn about the pieces, in the context of history - without staged buying/selling/picking entering the equation...you can't tell me that wouldn't be better for the hobby

Personally, I would love to see collections that I'm not that knowledgeable about. I have an extensive barber pole collection that I don't mind educating people about, but I wouldn't be interested in the "what's it worth" game, acting and fake negotiations like American pickers.
If people want their anonymity that's certainly understandable, but they're not speaking for everybody. Just like the showcase section here where prices aren't even mentioned, it could be fun to see and obviously some collectors like to show their collection.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oldgoaly
hmmm seems like some of you spend all your time watching "honey booboo" I'd watch a collector show, split screen with a hockey game. (only reason I know who hbb is from the late night talk shows bashing that bunch) Who wouldn't want a "Oldnfuelish" action figure???? or is that Flavor Flav? You could collect them all "Old Gas action figures" maybe even get a pile of 36B tokhiem pump tops with your Dickie B action figure......<<<big smile>>>

Too funny! Glad to see you back here!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Open wheel

If you like your collection so much write a book about it, just as I did with my gas pump literature collection. I don't need people coming to my home looking at what I got.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
I agree with Jack and many others on this subject. My "Personal Collection" is just that...PERSONAL. Close family and friends are fine. But beyond that who can you trust in this day and age. I have been burglarized and know how it feels first hand. It happened 12 years ago the night after an open house. My shop was broken into. Pretty sure it was a friend of a friend who just thought they could help them self. Since then, no open "SHOP" and a really good security system.

O
O
Jack,

I never said “I like my collection so much”, I said “I don't mind educating people” if they want to know. 70% of my collection is in a warehouse, the rest is displayed in chronological order much like a history lesson at my shop. I find it interesting, others do too, many don’t.

As for a book, I’ve been compiling information for my own enjoyment for a few decades and about 7 years ago wanted to share it through a book. I’ve found there’s just not a big enough market or information other than trade catalogs to warrant the production of a book. There’s probably less than 100 tonsorial collectors and fewer than 15 barber pole "collectors". There's tons of people that would love a barber pole in their man cave, but they're not interested in the history behind the poles or manufacturers. If anybody wants information though, I’m always available to share what I know.

As far as people showing their collection, quite a few have opened up their doors to allow other to see their collections either through websites, local shows like news or PBS (as I have done), antique collecting based shows on cable, American and Canadian Pickers and all the way up to national exposure like some of your Sunday morning shows. It’s a matter of choice and I’m not going to judge anybody depending on how they feel about it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Totally agree ,and I have said the exact same line . I came in for lunch today and American pickers was on and they beat down a respectable older gentleman on the price of a nice national green porcelain pump to 700.00 , and you could tell the guy didn't like it , I ask if its for sale and if so , nicely a price and if I don't like , move on , those guys are rude and then they have the audacity to tell how much they are going to make on you ,maybe it is staged as some say but ,this show is what comes to everyone's mind when I have asked if something's for sale , I bet you guys all hear the same , are you one of thar pickers!?$$??

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On the other side of the coin. Depending on how the show was produced it could be a great show. There are a lot of great collectibles out there. Petro, guns, old cars, motorcycles, boat motors and the list goes on and on. I for one would be interested in seeing what others collect and how their collection is displayed. Instead of traveling to the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody Wyoming again, it could be on tv. Same for other museums and private collections. The internet already has a lot of collectibles related web sites. Maybe get a tall good looking blond woman that has an actual clue about the subject matter host it. I would watch it. I was fortunate enough to see some great collections already in person, on Old Gas and in PCM and other places. If the show was done right, it could be enjoyable and informative.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
The Pickers wanted to come to my home last summer and I turned them down. They called the local county tourism people and asked around for places to go. They also have a following of scavengers so if you let them in you'll also have these people knocking on your door. It's your call but that show is phoney as a $3 bill.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I got the same call and asked how they found me. They said my name was given to them by another collector that was on the show.I turned them down as I dont have the time or the desire for the "privledge" [their words] to be on the show.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't qualify, ain't got a Barn!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I got 6 rusty pumps and 2 signs.....have at er...oh and no barn....but sure do appreciate what has gone into some people's collections...

Last edited by Canadiandiesel; Sun Mar 10 2013 07:26 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Canadiandiesel
...but sure do appreciate what has gone into some people's collections...

& WE DONE IT BEFORE TV **** Fantasy Shows!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was contacted by Canadian Pickers and agreed to be featured. I sold them almost $6000.00. I enjoyed the experience during the filming and I have had over a 100 people contact me and set up a time to stop by and view the collection in person. I have had people stop by and sell me items for my collection because they were made aware of a local collector.

For me a big part of collecting is meeting people, be it sellers, buyers or people that simply there to admire what I have pieced together. For me this is not about money...it's about people, enjoyment and fun. I don't understand, why some people, take the fun out of this by getting worked up and excited about what I perceive to be nothing.

No body is forced to sell to the pickers. They make an offer and people have the choice to refuse. Yes, I sold my items to the pickers for 50 cents on the dollar. Did they trick me into it...No! Do I have any regrets...No! Would, I do it again...yes!

"To each his own." When, I was a little boy growing up and watching cartoons on TV. I realized, TV was for entertainment and most of it was make belief. Since, then I have not expected TV to be real, or experienced anxiety over what I was watching. Life is to short to worry about the "what's real and what's not real" on TV!!

Here's a link to my sign collection for the new members that missed this thread when I posted it.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=369311&page=1

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Dave,
Your in Canada! it's like another country!!! I have a friend in Windsor to drive thru Detroit on a detour thru the scenic ghetto and Islamic areas...... And he doesn't have a lock on his door! Did I mention the Customs agent at the tunnel? WOW! the most beautiful woman I have ever scene! btw do you know Doug Walter? tt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Terry,

No, I don't know Doug Walter.

I agree, Vancouver woman are rated as #1 for best looking woman in North America and #6 in the world.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2011/04/vancouver-women-ranked-6th-most-beautiful-in-the-world/

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Mar 13 2013 11:46 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved