Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34512 Tue Jul 27 2004 07:23 PM
A
ACEman Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm putting my first 96 together (FINALLY!) and I have a question for the pros.
What is a good sequence to putting this together? If you put all of the chrome on, you can't safely put the front on because of the scuff plate. If you leave the scuff plate off, it's difficult to find the screw holes to fasten it. What's the easiest way you guys have found?
Jimmy

Speaking for:
Awesome Consepts Enterprises
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#34513 Mon Aug 02 2004 07:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just went through this procedure with my restored 98. The first time, I attached all the chrome pieces on the front cover, put the front cover on and attempted to attach the airhose bracket by tipping the front cover down enough to screw on the hose holder to its base. Well I couldn't get the screws tight enough on the bracket, plus it was very awkward tring to bear down on the screws to say the least. It came to me that night in bed, to remove the front cover, attach the hose bracket ( with nut and screw this time)to the base, remove the scuff plate from the cover, replace the front cover and then tip the cover down enough for the attachment of the scuff plate screws from behind. Much easier!!! Hope this helps, I wish I would have asked before attempting.

[This message has been edited by chris mccormick (edited 08-02-2004).]

#34514 Mon Aug 02 2004 08:25 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have probably put over 200 of these together and can now do the procedure in less than 15 minutes. Here is how you do it:
Put all the chrome on except for the hook. I have found that many hooks have chrome that has gotten into the holes so I always run a tap in the holes to clean them out first. Put the hook through the small hole below the scuff plate. Have the two screws that hold the hook on already in the holes at the end of the hose hook lever. Put the lower part of the front cover in place while putting the hook under the two screws. With a long screw driver tighten the screws into the hook.
Since I have gone this far, let me give you a little tip about fitting the covers.
Now that the hook and front cover are on, the front cover must be fitted into the frame. Fit the top first and work down to one of the corners, if it doesn't slip in you will have to tap it in using a screw driver and a hammer. Hit the cover near the very edge you are trying to get in, this way if the paint chips it will be in a place where it is hard to see and easy to touch-up, or won't be seen because it will be in the frame. Don't hit it with the side of your hand, I did this the one time on the first day of Fall Carlisle, I then had to vend for two weeks with a broken hand. The same with the back cover, they never seem to fit correctly and always need to be tapped in, so do it at the bottom of the cover.
Jack Sim

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 08-02-2004).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#34515 Mon Aug 02 2004 10:09 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Jack, do the parts books for the ECO,s list the thread pitch for the screws holding the skins on, or do you know the pitch?? I ran into trouble on the last one, I dont know if I was using the wrong tap or someone had started the wrong pitch screws into the threads. But I started thinking maybe they used the odd pitch like the ones on computer faces.

I usually run a tap thru all the threads before assembly unless screw twirl in with your fingers.

I have tried allen bolts and I think hex headed bolts on the hose hook, so you can get at them from the side or at an angle with those bondhus (side swiveling) allen wrenches. Those can go in easier but I know they are not correct, however this does permit the chrome to go on last with the skin in place. Scotch tape helps hold the bolt to the wrench and 1/4 in drive is handy.

I have made nuts for the skins that clip on to repair a stripped skin thread, very handy if the skin is already painted and it strips in assembly.

I have usually been lucky starting skins at the top, then working down and bonking them in by hand so far. What I really would like to know is has any one had any luck trying to shrink the lower edges over so they slide in a lot easier?? Seems like it could help??

#34516 Mon Aug 02 2004 09:44 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Sounds like you are trying to make things too hard. Everything is SAE thread.
Hook: 10/24 X 1/2"
Face: 8/32 X 1/4"
Chrome: 8/32 X 1/4"
Rear Cover: 10/24 X 1/2"
Front cover: 10/32 X 2"
The first numbers are the tap, the second numbers are the length.
Honestly, putting an ECO, Model 90 Series head together is so simple, I do it in 15 minutes. Add 15 minutes if I have to change one or more of the wheels.
Just to put a plug in here, many collectors send me their units and I change wheels, and assemble them for them. If anyone is interested, just contact me.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved