Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34178 Wed Oct 20 2004 08:42 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone. I'm wanting to get into painting some pumps and other cool things. I'm sick of trying to do a good job with spray cans in the back yard.

I don't have a lot of space for a full size paint booth. I've seen smaller types of booths that are open on one end. Are these any good?

What have your guys found to be a good way to paint without filling the garage with paint fumes or doing it outside?

Second, I have no idea what paint equipment to purchase. I'm sure there are bad and good paint guns?

Thanks everyone!

Don

------------------

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#34179 Wed Oct 20 2004 10:53 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
When ever I paint things with a spray gun, I buy plastic sheeting and staple it up around the perimeter of the garage, the ceiling too, just depends whats up there. Leave the garage door open and turn a 20" box fan at the back to keep the air moving a little. Im a little dated on the spray gun I use, but its good quality Devilbiss suction feed gun. It creates a lot of overspray, but its all part of the job. One of these days, I'll buy a gravity fed HVLP to cut down on the over spray. You'll need a good quality respirator as well.
You'll get various opinions on paint guns. First and foremost, be sure your air compressor can handle the air requirements of the paint gun you purchase. If you can swing it try to get an HVLP gun. Unless you have a lot of experience with a spray gun, buying a $500 gun, isn't going to give you better results over a $100 dollar gun. The Devilbiss Finishline series makes a nice low air demand HVLP gun that is under $200.

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
#34180 Wed Oct 20 2004 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave is right, especially about the air compressor being able to keep up. Another tip that I would like to share is to buy a sprayer that loads from the top, this way you will be able to use all your paint and tilt the sprayer without running out of paint. That paint and clear coat is expensive and every drop adds up. Those sprayers with the paint container on the bottom waste too much paint. Also, I like the white see thru type containers on the sprayer that allows you to see how much paint is left. Hope that helps. You shouldn't have to spend over $200 on a sprayer to get a great result. ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

#34181 Wed Oct 20 2004 12:12 PM
OP Offline
Thoes hints sound great. Lots of plastic, a good air compressor and $200-$300 paint gun with can on top, fan blowing out under the door and I'm set!

#34182 Wed Oct 20 2004 02:02 PM
A
A
Not to step on toes, but I bought an $80 HVLP gravity feed from Home Depot with excellent results for primer and color. I haven't shot clear through it yet, I'm hoping it's just as good. Also, if you get an HVLP, be sure to get a good in-line regulator and put it at the inlet for your gun.

Speaking for:
Awesome Consepts Enterprises
#34183 Wed Oct 20 2004 06:39 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I agree with Dave about the plastic sheeting, It creates a static that overspray sticks too. I however dont like the Devilbis finishline HVLP. I bought a cheap $80.00 gravity HVLP that ACEman referred too and had great results. I thought I was upgrading and purchased the Devilbis finishline. I have not had good results with this gun and always end up using my old reliable suction gun.

#34184 Wed Oct 20 2004 07:12 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Im not surprised about the Home Depot gun. Many of the off brands are copies of some of the best guns on the market like Sata. As you get further into it there is a lot more stuff to watch. With your spray gun; air pressure into the gun, tip size and air cap size are all important things for achieving a great finish. When you choose your paint, get one of the tech sheets from the paint manufacturer. The sheet will tell you these things. No guess work. Then experience comes to play.

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
#34185 Wed Oct 20 2004 07:33 PM
An HVLP gravity gun with a small orifice - high atomization nozzle requires a significant change in technique from a siphon paint gun. It delivers less paint, but more of it gets on the surface. Most operate with way less input air pressure than siphon guns. You need to move slower and more methodically. It is hard for many guys to get used to. But the bonus is less overspray on other stuff and more of the expensive paint actually gets on the object you're painting.

One more tip:
Read the directions that came with your gun. Most HVLP guns have a very limited range of input pressure. A little too high or too low can mess you up. Check the pressure at the gun with the trigger wide open. I never use the valve on the gun to adjust pressure with color or clear. Watch the gauge on the gun, but adjust your pressure with the regulator at the other end of the hose. That is especially important with HVLP since you need high volume with low pressure. A "faucet" type valve will cut both flow pressure and volume.

But after all is said and done, a guy with some talent and patience can use crude tools to turn out nice work, while another guy can spend thousands on equipment but if he works in a hurry and reads no directions, he can get a crummy finish.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#34186 Wed Oct 20 2004 08:25 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
i have a cheap sata mini jet gravity copy & it is a killer gun! i wouldnt trade that gun for anything!
i use a devilbiss suction most the time, i have 2 nice ones, my HVLP gravity devilbiss that wasnt cheap must have a few cobwebs on it by now. seems awkward to me!

man all the magic is done in the prep! sand & sand. ive seen these guys spend months working on something then they think they have to paint it in 5 minutes & then they start pulling off the tape before they get the last coat on!!!???

i like to relax when it comes to spray time. i dont care if it takes all day or all night to spray! i hate runs or dry spots!
oh man think about trying to rub some goobers out of the ribs on some 36-B skins!!! ive seen pumps where i can see right through the edges. set everything up good & relax & look the situation over first!

like JP Oldgas said: "patience" nice & easy, think way ahead & be nice & gentle, nice & even!

i was watching this young guy paint the other day. he does really really nice bodywork, he works hard but ive seen some of his paint & i can look right through some of it. i watched him awhile without him knowing i was there & after a coat i said man i dont even wash my car that fast! you need to slow down & worry about getting it even & smooth. he thinks sandind & buffing when hes done is the cure all. he said when he was in body school his paint always looked good but the teacher told all the other students NOT TO WATCH him paint cause hes a crazy sprayer! LOL!
nervous & excited!

[This message has been edited by tom 2 tone (edited 10-20-2004).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved