Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
OP Offline
O
I'm sorry, I don't know if this is a rant or if there really is an answer, but how do sellers now protect themselves from eBay?

I sold and American Girl doll for my daughter, but assume it could be a sign or globe. It was in like new condition and described as such. It was sold for $65 +10 for shipping. When the buyer received it they sent me pictures of a mutilated doll asking why I didn't point out these flaws. They said give me $25 or a full refund including shipping. I contacted paypal right away and they said it was up to me what I wanted to do and that since I've been selling for 15 years without any negs that would bode very well for me.

Knowing that eBay has no way of knowing exactly who is telling the truth, I chose to pay the $25 and cut my losses to as little as possible because you never know who will win as nobody really has ANY proof as to what was sent or received.
After I agreed, they demanded a full refund, I declined. They then opened a case against me and I said I agreed to their demand of $25 only because it would cut my losses to as little as possible even though the doll they sent pictures of was not the doll I sent.

Within an hour, eBay agreed with them for a full refund and paypal is going to give them $75 as long as they send me the mutilated doll back.
There's no way I can sell on eBay anymore when it's that easy for a buyer to rip you off.

My daughter is out her doll and the $10 shipping. How in the world can a seller protect themselves from this kind of fraud?

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Sellers have almost NO protection on ebay. Ebay is out for the buyer and will do everything to keep that buyer happy.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I had this very thing happen to me on ebay.I sold a dual quad vintage 60s manifold for $450.00 . The buyer send me a email two weeks later stating that the manifold had and extra threaded hole drilled in it that he would have to weld up .Wanted $50.00 refunded to him.He did not open a case.I just gave him the $50.00 off and chalked it up to the decline in the type of individuals that were coming to ebay and trying to get over on people.I had sold many things on ebay prior but only had one disatisfied cutomer(which I satisfied)aftewardS in all the transactions. Since then I have not sold on ebay.Rules protect the customer without regards to the seller.Not my way of doing business.Not worth it.Use craigs list or sell to your local antique mall.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's coming down to the point that all items sold on ebay, BOX May Not be opened except in the presents of a Notary Public or a On Duty Peace Officer & all irregularities Noted at that time. Signature Required from Buyer & Inspector [N.P./P.O.].

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What I do is take a picture of the item I am shipping out that day and make sure it is dated the day I am shipping it out and also when I am putting it into the box. Sometimes if I am really conserned with the person who bought for whatever reason I will show the item to the office worker the day that I am shipping it out then box it up there that way I have a witness.

I do not know if this would actually help if the person said that I did such a thing, but it is the only way I can think to protect myself.

O
OP Offline
O
Dick may actually be on to something. Maybe those FedEx and UPS stores can start offering a service to take pictures of items they ship for a small fee and then there would be a third, unbiased party showing proof of what was actually sent.
I'll never sell on eBay again, but that might work for others that dare to get ripped off as I just did.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also photo any expensive items being shipped. I also photo the packing process to document the great job I do in packing. Will it ever help in a fraud case?? I don't know but at least I have some ammunition to fire back!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What is the Time Limit on filing a claim w/ PP from the date it was Received?
Packing store would have to retain pictures & Tracking info for say 2-4 After the cutoff date, but there is another FEE for them to do the packing.
I'M still adamant that a packer of an item is responsible for Insurance to insure items is received as sent. Not the buyer that has no control of packaging & very few times of shipper.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The time limit I believe is 2 months. I could be wrong but I think that is what it is.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did you get the doll back? If not then they probably showed another doll and got their money back and sold your doll. If you have to refund, at least ask for the item back so they can't have done a bait and switch on you. IMHO since I have never done ebay.

O
OP Offline
O
They do have to send the doll back, but it won't be the same doll I sent them, and honestly it could just be an empty box for all eBay is concerned. There's no way for me to prove that the doll I receive is not the doll I sent.

The money really isn't that great, but the feeling of being taken advantage of with the help of a company I supported for 15 years is a hard one to swallow right now.

This amazingly simple scam will eventually run rampant and millions of dollars will be stolen from honest sellers. I suppose I'm fortunate mine was for a small amount and got out without too much "financial" damage. My optimism however took another hit.

Thank you all for letting me rant, it kinda helps.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I know of people that mark their items in a specific way, if the claimant can prove it has that mark then the damage is bonafide, if they are a scammer then they won't try to file a claim. The seller just tells them sure they will refund the money in full once the item is returned at the buyers expense and the mark is confirmed.

Marking can be a physical thing like a small "x" or chemical mark that will turn up under certain types of light.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: open wheel
How in the world can a seller protect themselves from this kind of fraud?

Sorry to hear of your situation. It is very easy to get worked up over the injustice of this world. One of my answers is Prayer and returning God into our great nation. We have no protection from evil when we kick Jesus our Savior out of our country.
Mike

2 Timothy 4:18 New International Version (NIV)

18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Last edited by bruzer75; Sun Jan 27 2013 09:15 AM.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well said Mike!!!!!! smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
open wheel,I sympathize with you.
I'm not an ebay regular,but sold a few childhood toy sets & train sets on there last year.Sets that had multiple little items in them.
I never saw this coming and it turned out a few collectors like to take advantage of sellers like me.They have the same sets sitting @ home,but missing those little pieces.
I sold all the sets,only to have 50% of the buyers cry foul and say it wasn't as described and wanted a full refund.
After days of arguing back & forth,eBay sided with them,and I had to accept.
When I got the sets back,they were exactly as I sent,only now missing some of those little pieces,that there sets NOW had.
I cried foul,and was given the deaf ear..
I now have incomplete sets.
I have since sworn off ebay as a seller,and take anything I have sell,to Clist,websites classifieds like here,or my local toy/swap meets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved