Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#384766 Wed Jan 09 2013 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have this sign listed in the for sale section and I have always questioned its authenticity. I bought it about two years ago from this ebay seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Mobil-Oil-Mo...=item20ce8d3976 He sells one every month or so. Did he find a stack of NOS ones some place or are the freshly made ? I don't want to sell mine as real if it isn't !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Me thinks HE is a very Creative Seller.
Those signs are just TOO Perfect [front & Back] to be 1941 as dated on bottom.

It'd be real interesting to know how many he has sold as NOS?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is freshly made just like the monarch outboard and he also sells small round orange crush porcelain signs....trust me there is no end to them, i have seen them selling for over a year now...mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
minuteman #384781 Wed Jan 09 2013 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, a fake sign.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Scott. I notice one detail that is lacking in yours and the one in the link you posted. Look at the tail, the lines run together unlike this one which seems more uniformed.

This is my keyhole sign but if you look in the Mobil collectors guide, there is one from Dave Mercers collection pictured as well and you can see the same tail details as the one I posted.

Also look at an old auction too, look at its tail. I believe this sign is the real deal also.
eBay number: 330846685335

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Thu Jan 10 2013 04:47 AM.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Dan, mcguffeyd1, and I have been back and forth on these signs a couple times. I explained to him this is a sign I would ONLY buy from a reputable dealer in the hobby as there are just too many perfect ones on Ebay, frequently from the same sellers. It has scared me from buying one for sure and I do not own one of these signs for this reason. The only ones I know are good are normally too toasty for me to be interested in. smile
I had questioned the authenticity of these signs probably 3 years ago on Old Gas and I don't think a conclusion was ever reached. At that time they were possibly new to the market, but now I see them so frequently I personally do not think that 99% currently available on-line are genuine. When Scott listed his I wondered about it, but I question almost every one I see. I will say however that the Mobilgas Special version is quite a bit more scarce and I have not questioned any of that version, YET! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they show up frequently in perfect condition as well.
I think something to keep in mind is this is a tin sign. We all know unless there was a "warehouse find" of perfect signs the probability of a large quantity of them being NOS is slim. Generally warehouse finds in this hobby are hard to keep secret, so if one was found I think someone would know about it. That's what doesn't sit well with me here, especially with the age of the original sign. The first dated porcelain shield pump plates are marked IR46. IF most of these tin signs were used for approximately 5 years they should show some signs of use, but almost all appearing these days are NOS. Again....something just doesn't add up.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Thu Jan 10 2013 07:58 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
If it makes you feel any better Scott, he got me too. I knew it as soon as I opened the package. Beware fo this loser. He refused to refund saying it was accurately described as vintage. He never admitted it was a fake but why would he? He had my money.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I do agree with Dan that the Ebay auction number 330846685335 is an original sign. Most originals I've seen have a uniform aged ivory color to the "white" and the blues seem darker than the reproductions. I also notice a crispness to the lettering that the questionable ones lack, and the paint on the originals looks heavy and layered, like the process used in the era.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #384824 Thu Jan 10 2013 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: DWSheffer
I do agree with Dan that the Ebay auction number 330846685335 is an original sign. Most originals I've seen have a uniform aged ivory color to the "white" and the blues seem darker than the reproductions. I also notice a crispness to the lettering that the questionable ones lack, and the paint on the originals looks heavy and layered, like the process used in the era.

I also agree with Darin on this. Most of the repops are too white and stick out like a sore thumb. I have looked and looked for one of these and almost bought one from that seller. I didn't because they looked like the finish was flat. An original has a heavy paint and "shelving" almost like porcelain signs. Plus this one and all the ones he has sold don't has markings on the holes where screws would have been. So in short this guy is getting the buyers good. Sad but true.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info guys. My sign is no longer for sale. My gut feeling was correct even though I didn't want to admit it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tetraethyl
If it makes you feel any better Scott, he got me too. I knew it as soon as I opened the package. Beware fo this loser. He refused to refund saying it was accurately described as vintage. He never admitted it was a fake but why would he? He had my money.

I Thought that was a Plus for using PayPal, that an item could be sent back for refund, even if seller stated No Refunds?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB is correct and you can take up a claim with PayPal, if and only if you paid via PayPal, and they will take the item, at your shipping cost, and get your money back. Seen it happen,so the seller is out in the end and you get money back. They actually take it out of their account. It's in the small print when you agree to PayPals services. A little waiting period but not too bad. Had to do it once on a item i ordered from over seas (non petro related).

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Great information DB and McGuffey! I love this site!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Scott Baselt
Thanks for the info guys. My sign is no longer for sale. My gut feeling was correct even though I didn't want to admit it.

That is a noble thing to do.

dalin #385102 Fri Jan 11 2013 10:21 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Scott.Good move. I think it sends out the message loud and clear that there are some responsible,honest collectors here on OLDGAS who can and will do the right thing when a situation like this comes up.It sits a great example IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved