Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
pauvictoria #427753 Fri Jul 05 2013 12:51 AM
P
P
Dear Oldgas friends.

Here are another example of the fake Michelin cast iron figures that are runing now on ebay and other flea markets, sometimes with a high prize.

These figures, painted trying to imitate an antique appearance, are for sale as "original old" "vintage old 1920s-30s" and, only in few times, identify by honest dealers as "Modern Reproduction".

But these figures are not "reproductions".

Never existed before 2011, and are inspired (only inspired, because the resemblance is null) by the original official Michelin man metal figures used to decorate the air compressors.

These 1920s air compressors where available for Michelin garages in France and other european countries, and are now items highly sought by collectors.

Among these false figures, are particulary surprising the metal one with "REG 67548 Detroit" inscription on the back... or a similar little one riding a motobike...

You can find them on ebay daily, especially on ebay UK...

Well, anyone is free to sell or to buy its but, please, identify it ALWAYS as "modern figure" or "new creation" (not a reproduction, not a new version).

I hope I have been helpful for collectors.

Sincerely, Pau
(and excuse me for my horrible english!)

Comparativa-1.jpg Comparativa-2.jpg
Last edited by pauvictoria; Fri Jul 05 2013 12:57 AM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
pauvictoria #427770 Fri Jul 05 2013 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Pau - thank you for taking the time to post the photos and information...your clear explanation of the differences should prove very helpful...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #427785 Fri Jul 05 2013 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the pictures and info, always good to learn more about the hobby

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
pauvictoria #427918 Fri Jul 05 2013 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: pauvictoria
Dear Oldgas friends.

Here are another example of the fake Michelin cast iron figures that are runing now on ebay and other flea markets, sometimes with a high prize.

These figures, painted trying to imitate an antique appearance, are for sale as "original old" "vintage old 1920s-30s" and, only in few times, identify by honest dealers as "Modern Reproduction".

But these figures are not "reproductions".

Never existed before 2011, and are inspired (only inspired, because the resemblance is null) by the original official Michelin man metal figures used to decorate the air compressors.

These 1920s air compressors where available for Michelin garages in France and other european countries, and are now items highly sought by collectors.

Among these false figures, are particulary surprising the metal one with "REG 67548 Detroit" inscription on the back... or a similar little one riding a motobike...

You can find them on ebay daily, especially on ebay UK...

Well, anyone is free to sell or to buy its but, please, identify it ALWAYS as "modern figure" or "new creation" (not a reproduction, not a new version).

I hope I have been helpful for collectors.

Sincerely, Pau

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,
PLEASE Take the Time & POST pictures of REAL vs. FAKE items In the KNOWN FAKE Image Gallery;
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=21

It will/would be a GREAT RESOURCE for Present/Future Collectors IF MORE would take the time to add images!

Dick Bennett #427948 Sat Jul 06 2013 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Information!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #450457 Wed Jul 24 2013 06:58 AM
P
P
Thanks for your words, Nicole, Mark, Wes, Dick, Dave and the rest of OldGas colleagues.

I'm not an expert on the inmense field of Automobile related, Gas & Oil memorabilia...

I can only help with Tire collectibles and specially Michelin collectibles.

In fact, I'm a big collector on all tire companies (US, british and European) in years near 1900s to 1940s, and one of the most important collectors and historians on the Michelin Tire Company advertising. I use to lend part of my collection to Michelin Company in France for Exhibitions, and to write academic articles about Tire stories and specially related with advertising, Graphic design, illustration and illustrators.

I'm 47 years old. Now Associated Professor, Department of Design and Image, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Barcelona. Bachelor of Fine Arts, speciality in Graphic Design. Working professionally in the publishing industry as a graphic designer and art director for the past sixteen years, and currently combining the teaching activity and the PhD research on the Thesis about Design, illustration and Advertising in pioneer tire companies (1900-1930) in wich the Michelin Company story is the central axis.

So, with humility and without wanting to sound pedantic in any way, I really know what I'm talking about.

And I hate people who, consciously, are dedicated to deceive others to make money...
Sharing information helps others to know the reality and freely decide what they want to do.

Also, as rightly said Mark,
"the future of our hobby will logically trend to authenticity; historically accurate restoration & preservation of memorabilia should be paramount... "

Best wishes from sunny mediterranean Barcelona.

Sincerely, Pau Medrano-Bigas.

Last edited by pauvictoria; Wed Jul 24 2013 07:00 AM.
pauvictoria #450489 Wed Jul 24 2013 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: pauvictoria
I hate people who, consciously, are dedicated to deceive others to make money...
Sharing information helps others to know the reality and freely decide what they want to do.

Pau, Like yourself; I also have a very strong dislike for people who lack moral integrity and are motivated by greed and have an absolute disregard for others.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
pauvictoria #601145 Sun Mar 01 2015 11:57 PM
S
S
Hello Pau
you're an expert on the history of Michelin, a friend of mine wants to buy this Michelin, which is the right price? thanks Salvatore https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater[/img]

pauvictoria #601146 Mon Mar 02 2015 12:17 AM
S
S
Hello Pau
I would like to have a Michelin information on man, you are a great expert of him, my friend would like to buy the Michelin photo, what is the price right? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

michelin1.jpg
salsaladi64 #602251 Sun Mar 08 2015 05:53 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Great info on here, thank you all.

salsaladi64 #602253 Sun Mar 08 2015 06:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: salsaladi64
Hello Pau
I would like to have a Michelin information on man, you are a great expert of him, my friend would like to buy the Michelin photo, what is the price right? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

as it's a part from the air compressor and as it has been repainted, maximal value is 50-60 $

hotcidr #662003 Thu Jul 28 2016 04:00 AM
P
P
Dear Old Gas friends.

In the last six or seven years it has appeared many Michelin figures and signs, showing Bibendum, the tire brand mascot man.
Here I show some of the most common counterfeits that are flooding the pages of ebay (especially on eBay UK and eBay USA) but we can already see in online stores of "antiques" and even items offered by prestigious auction rooms.

There are figures of all types. Some shows an old look, though they are quite new and have never been existed before as original and authentic elements of Michelin advertising. Others merely reproduce originally plastic figures in chrome metal. A curious case is a Michelin tires for cycles enamel sign, originally produced in lithographed sign in France ... but NEVER as enameled sign, and that can be seen for sale "suitably aged".

I hope the images will help to identify them.

Please do not contribute to the chain of confusion, which affects the credibility of collecting and honest businesses engaged in this work.

Your friend in Barcelona city, Catalonia (Spain),

Pau

Michelin-1.jpg Michelin-2.jpg Michelin-3.jpg
hotcidr #662016 Thu Jul 28 2016 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pau thanks for the collation of "fraudulent" Michelin Bibby items.
This page should serve well for those about to imbibe in Michelin collecting and what to avoid. I appreciate the effort.

hotcidr #683894 Tue Apr 04 2017 12:10 PM
N
N
I dug something like this today

I Am not sure what year is this.

pauvictoria #720555 Sun Dec 02 2018 08:20 AM
P
P

Dear Oldgas friends.

I write you to tell you that the English translated version of my Thesis Dissertation titled The Forgotten Years of Bibendum. Michelin’s American Period in Milltown: Design, Illustration and Advertising by Pioneer Tire Companies (1900-1930) is now available online at the University of Barcelona Thesis Depository:

http://diposit.ub.edu/dspace/handle/2445/126382

The Thesis Dissertation was presented in 2015 and the English translation was finished in 2018 thanks to the financial support of the late Bruce T. Halle and the management of Susan Driver, curator of the Collection of Discount Tire turn of the Century lithograph tire posters. I’m so grateful for their support and endorsement.

The pdf files has been prepared and concived to be printed on paper. The Thesis can be downloaded separately by chapters, where the images appear reproduced in full color and in good resolution.

Files with the covers/back covers of the four volumes are also provided. It is made with the intention that everyone can print it on paper and bind it for your own enjoyment.

I think you will delight it, specially the chapters dedicated to American forgotten tire companies such as FISK, KELLY, REPUBLIC, GILLETTE, HOOD, MILLER, LEE, among others. I recommend reading first the Preface+Foreword plus Introduction to understand what kind of work it is.

http://diposit.ub.edu/dspace/bitstream/2445/126382/1/VOLUME01-%280000%29-FRONT%20MATTER.pdf

Although it is deep in the textual content, do not worry ... it is not boring, and it is also very visual (it contains more than 4,400 images, most of them never published before).

I 'm looking forward to reading your opinions...

I wish you enjoy it!

Your friend in Barcelona,

Pau

**And excuse-me for my sure horrible English. Do not worry ... the thesis has been translated into a perfect American English by a professional translator! ;-)

-------------------------------
Dr. Pau Medrano-Bigas
Professor of Graphic Design at the Grade of Design.
Department of Visual Arts and Design.
Sant Jordi Faculty of Fine Arts.
University of Barcelona.
------
Member of GRACMON,
Research Group in
Contemporary Art and Design History,
University of Barcelona.
http://www.ub.edu/gracmon
------
Personal email: pau.medrano.bigas@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3