Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Hi All,

Recently acquired an old Pennzoil 31" x 18" oval - pretty common, except, I can't find one exactly like it online.

Characteristics:
1) Has black border
2) "Pennzoil" is through the bell - most have a yellow border.
3) C & P signs - LA (stamped on bottom)
4) No date mark

Any experts know about this one? older newer? uncommon? value?

Thanks in advance for any information!
(I'll try and post an image)

Last edited by loveoldstuff; Wed Jan 02 2013 03:45 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks to be repo to me

Braden Splichal

L
OP Offline
L
I acquired through an estate sale of a private collector that had passed. Being ignorant of the tell-tale signs, it is porcelain, (very heavy), does show some wear (another image below). I assume the previous owner did not acquire this right before he died of old age...

If is is a reproduction - I still cannot find one just like it... Only one was reproduced?

What do you see that makes you think it is a reproduction?
Does that indicate there is no value? early / late reproduction?

Last edited by loveoldstuff; Wed Jan 02 2013 03:36 PM.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
2 things. Fist, the sign sign is real. 2nd, the sign is not porcelain, looks to be painted steel which is why its heavy.

oilman514 #382744 Wed Jan 02 2013 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks good to me too, for what it's worth.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I have this sign. Had it for 13 yrs. or so. Mine is dated at the very bottom "A-M 7-83".Also the top two mounting grommet's on mine are brass (dull)aged and not aluminum as yours appear in picture.Lastly the 4 lines accross the bottom of the bell on mine are equally spaced apart and the crack ends exactly at the top pf the 4 th.line and does not continue on up thru past it.Could be just different year versions of same sign ??Mine does have the yellow border w/out the black.

Last edited by buzzy56; Wed Jan 02 2013 05:42 PM.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
buzzy56 #382809 Wed Jan 02 2013 06:40 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the replies- yes the curiosity is that 1) it has no date that I can find, 2) I can't find another online exactly like it...

I will have to assume that the value is the same as others in similar condition.

Last edited by loveoldstuff; Wed Jan 02 2013 06:42 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry guys, I'm a rookie at telling repo from original. Much to learn still!!

Braden Splichal

S
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
S
I've often wondered about these signs. There are always pristine ones coming up. Just makes me wonder which are real and which are fake. They all look the same. One thing I find interesting about them is that it seems, Pennzoil, with this basic sign/logo, unlike most others, transcends straight on through into the pre-war period. And maybe even all the way to the beginning of the company.

Not sure if this tells anything, but....
This is a picture from Tom & Sue Allens' "American Oil Cans" book. Except for the first two, all of these cans are from the 70-80's. Which is the era someone had said this sign could be from. On none of them, does the bell pass through the name like our sign. Now this may be only to make it easier to print the smaller graphic on the can, yet all the older cans in the book,(not pictured) do have the full bell on them without a problem. Or it could be that this sign is a reporduction, hence no date, of an earlier sign from back when the bell did run through the name. There seems to be some kind of a contradiction here. Also, on all the cans from the 70-80's, the stripes are 2 rows of 3. Just like the original posters sign. The older cans, (again not pictured) have different variations of stipes but many have the 2 rows of 3.

Just some info and my 2 cents

cans from book.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Thu Jan 03 2013 06:59 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #382919 Thu Jan 03 2013 07:30 AM
L
OP Offline
L
thanks for the image of the cans - nice to see them laid out that way - it does appear that the name passes through the can on the first one, not that that means anything at all.

S
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: loveoldstuff
thanks for the image of the cans - nice to see them laid out that way - it does appear that the name passes through the can on the first one, not that that means anything at all.

Yah, I'm not sure if I can get in trouble for that. I did give the author credit.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved