Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32770 Thu May 29 2003 06:40 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I have an original condition wood Fisk Tire sign with hanging brackets. Never displayed, but dirty from storage. Two-sided yellow with blue lettering, (about 2 1/2' x 3 1/2'. Drowsy child wearing sleeper with & candle standing beside upright tire. Has reflective (?) grit on it.

I understand design by Norman Rockwell. Would like to know how to clean it, if I should, and its value.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#32771 Thu May 29 2003 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mud Pie Works:

Don't bother to clean it. It's not worth anything! Wink-Wink, Nudge-Nudge. Just send it to me to get it out of your house!

Really, if it's silkscreened on metal: start with the mildest cleaner you have and try that. Try in a inconspicuous spot. Never use harsher cleaners than are absolutly necessary. Use a cleaner with more strength if it doesn't come clean, trying out the new cleaner on a safe spot before proceeding.

If the sign is porcelain, you really can't hurt it. Clean it with whatever is handy and follow up with a good past wax to bring up the shine.

Value? If it's mint and cleans up nice - a few hundred clams. Check on e-bay and see what they go for and judge your sign against what is selling. This brand of tire sign shows up fairly often in different variations.

Hope this helps.

Later . . .

Jim

#32772 Thu May 29 2003 07:31 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Mud Pie, I have an early Conoco sign with this reflective surface. Although it really didn't need cleaning, I suggest you first use a mild household dish soap and "dab" the area. No scrubbing! If that doean't work try something a little stronger as Simple Green or CLR. Although I don't think these will hurt the painted surface, experiment in a small area first to be safe.

#32773 Thu May 29 2003 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey "Mud Pie" you have a real winner. I don't think the other guys caught it, but you said it was "wood"! This is one great sign, and very expensive. Well, to the right collector anyway. I would estimate it was made prior to 1920. They used ground up glass for the "grit" on the face. This was designed to reflect light from passing cars, and catch the motorist eyes, thus bringing them in for gas/oil. The last one I saw sell, was in the neighborhood of $1,200.00 I don't know if it was a fluke, or if their value is really that high, but I wouldn't give it away. I have one that I've had for about 15+ years. I think I paid about $500. for it back then. As far as cleaning it, I wouldn't touch it unless it was really, really bad. If it was something you absolutly had to do, then I'd try a small spot on the edge. Make a solution of water and Ivory soap, use a small cotton ball and try cleaning it little by little, wiping off the excess water quickly. On mine, the paint is so old, it has the little "age cracks" I'd be afraid to put a lot of water on it. You have a great old sign !

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#32774 Thu May 29 2003 08:49 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Don, thanks for posting the pic of Mud Pies sign. I knew it was an early sign as my reflective sign has the Conoco Minuteman on it. These signs are around 1920 or before and were usually hung on the fence that was adjacent to the station. All are very rare. What a great looking sign you and Mud Pie have.

#32775 Thu May 29 2003 12:42 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the info and photo Don! Your sign and mine are identical. It is a beauty...and I am not going to clean it to risk the grit, or even hang it by the original brackets because the brackets are still in the original wrapping. I am a major Rockwell fan and guessed it pre-dated 1930. Do you think its of more value to Rockwell collectors or Petroliana sign collectors?

#32776 Thu May 29 2003 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had never heard the "Fisk Boy" associated with Rockwell before. Not that it isn't possible, but I've never heard that. As far as who it's more valuable too? Not a clue!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Check my website at:
http://www.vintagegas.com

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#32777 Wed Aug 23 2006 03:14 PM
P
P
Dear Oldgas friends,

Here Pablo from Barcelona, Spain.

Mud Pie Works and oltoydoc@pacbell.net.
I saw your nice Fisk sleeping boy wooden sign. Perhaps I can contribute to clear information about it.(first, sorry for my poor english!)

I'm an expert (well, it sounds very pretencious, but is real) on character trademarks in old Tire Companies, like the Fisk sleeping boy in piyama, created on 1911.
Your sign shows the same graphic style on Fisk boy figure, frame and Typography than the Fisk magazine ads in year 1920-1924, so quite possible is very near this date.
About Norman Rockwell, yes, he was involved in Fisk advertising, but he don't create the image. Rockwell done some nice color Fisk magazine illustration ads in 1924 and 1925, as other great illustrators done in the sametime for Fisk, like Leslie Thrasher, Robert Robinson, Paul Hesse and others.

Feel free to ask me, if I can help in anything... and congratulations for your nice sign!

Best regards from far mediterranean Barcelona!

#32778 Thu Aug 24 2006 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
maybe silly putty--carefully==works good for lifting dirt without water--I would be carefull with liquids. Good Luck! Great sign.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved