Next Thread
Print Thread
#374689 Mon Dec 03 2012 07:31 PM
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Lubesters why don't we see are hear more about them??

I have found recently several very unusual ones. Not just one grade but two and three. Does anyone have a book like Jim's on them???
KB

Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Dec 03 2012 07:51 PM. Reason: Moved to General Petroliana Discussion
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
KEN BRUCE #374740 Mon Dec 03 2012 11:00 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Do you mean Jack's book?

If so, let me explain, when I wrote the first Gas Pump book the publishers gave me 352 pages, and the way I suggested, six images per page. Well to be honest, I didn't have enough pics of gas pumps to fill that many pages so I included a couple of globes and a lot of oil dispensers. Meaning, in the first book I supplied about 1500 images.

For the second book I had about 2100 images available, so I eliminated the globes and almost all of the oil dispensers and concentrated on making it a true gas pump book. I submitted 2000 images to the book company, they elimated 100 of them. I was not given the option as to which ones to be eliminated, they just eliminated them.

Now, lets get down to books/information, whatever, on other items.
1. My opinion, you have seen the last of printed hobby books, just look at what Scott and Wayne have produced on Globes. Think about it, isn't it easier to have a CD on the seat of your truck, than a stack of books?
2. My opinion, no one can make any money writing hobby books today. Years ago the only way to get any info on a item was to buy a book, now everyone just goes to Google. No one wants to spend the money on a book, they can just come here to Old Gas and get the answer to any question, even if it comes out of my book.
3. My opinion, no one will ever write anything on oil dispensers. The closest thing you will find is my first Gas Pump book where I used them as filler. This the same as anything else having to do with petroliana. For instance, I am the only person to put together anything about the original nozzle that was on the gas pump when they opened the crate. My website has a lot of info on nozzles, more than any other place on the web, but it is no where complete. I have probably over 100 more items I could add to just that one part of my website, but do I want to spend the time?
4. My opinion. This hobby has been overrun by the TV reality shows. Every person who finds something comes on this site with, what is this, what is this worth? Look at their profile, it is usually under 10. I will admit, initally I was a picker, but I was also a collector. The first thing I did was purchase 100 gas pumps, so, I was selling anything I could to recoup my investment and make a few dollars to buy the thing I collected. Some of you might remember when I sold off my 800+ handy oiler collection.
5. My opinion. There are only three people in this hobby that have contributed money and months of their lives to the benefit of petroliana collectors. Scott Benjamin, Wayne Henderson and myself. Between us, we have contributed more research, time and information than whaever....
6. My opinion. Speaking for myself, why isn't anyone stepping up, picking a subject, and researching it. Why is everyone wanting to just go to Google and expecting an answer to anything they ask?

This sort of has something to do with the above, but it is just something I want to say.

A few months ago, my grandson was out in my garage and he spotted an old motor scooter I have. He is only 9 years old, but he still asked me if he could have it. After explaining it was something I wanted to restore, I told him I didn't even know what year it was. His response was, "Why don't you look it up on the computer?"
He is of the age that has not been taught that God did not create the web. Someone had to research everything that is on the web, then put it on the web. When I told him this, his eyes got larger, he just thought that the answer to every q1uestion (including the Meaning Of Life) can be found on the computer.

Just the opinion of a 77 year old collector.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #374800 Tue Dec 04 2012 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
..and aren't they really called Lubsters?

KEN BRUCE #374954 Tue Dec 04 2012 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KEN BRUCE
Lubesters why don't we see are hear more about them??

I've said this before. My personal opinion, is that they are an unapreciated collectable. Unless you have a cart, or a glass cylinder, they just dont seem to bring a lot of attention.

I really like them, and have a few different types in my collection. I'd actually like to have a bunch more.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Cold Pizza #374974 Tue Dec 04 2012 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
..and aren't they really called Lubsters?

SLANG Term attached to Oil Dispensers!
BOWSER is the only company that called a piece of their equipment a "LUBE-STER".
Just like WE say;
Roman - WAYNE 490/491/492
Pagoda - Wayne 576/730
Empire - Erie 50/51
Pumpkin Head - Dayton 900/Wayne 800/Bowser 300
Clock Face - Dial Face
etc

Bowser Lube ster.jpg
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Dec 04 2012 06:23 PM.
Dick Bennett #375021 Tue Dec 04 2012 07:50 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
As for OP, you'll have to glean information where you can.

Information can be seen as a tool or as a commodity, sometimes as both when it comes to compilation and distribution.

Jack you do have some valid points. Many people don't think about how the information got onto the internet. Someone had to compile and actually type or scan that information.

But now we do have sites like Wikipedia whereby several contributors can build and maintain and pass along information. Instead of having an unchanging book with errors, a Wiki is a living guide to a topic, able to be edited, corrected, and added to as more information comes forward.

I understand some people may be motivated by profit, or feel the need to be payed for their knowledge, but what good is the knowledge in a human brain the minute after a person dies? The scribes of old worked lifetimes on a single translation of a Bible, their payment was the longevity of the edition. That is where I see the future going via online. Peoples knowledge can be shared for current and future consumption.

My Mother spent countless hours researching the genealogy of our families and branch families for hundreds of years. Now I have a sister who has taken on the task where my Mother left off. That information will be passed on to the succeeding individuals willing to take up the task.

I think that people on Oldgas have much to contribute to a Wiki on gas/oil, and it doesn't need to be left up to just a few men/women to see to it that information is gathered & shared. Everyone can contribute to the pieces in the puzzle.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #375055 Tue Dec 04 2012 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now WE just have get old & new members to post their own pictures, instead of SAYING "I CAN'T POST PICTURES".
They Learned how to WALK,
They learned how to read,
They LEARNED how to USE a Computer,
They LEARNED how to use a Digital Camera,
They LEARNED how to TAKE pictures,
They LEARNED how to EMAIL pictures,
NOW, LEARN how to POST Pictures!

EXCELLENT TUTORIAL for using IMAGE SHACK [FREE IMAGE HOSTING];
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126797&page=1

Oldgas aka Jim Potts, has made it EASY to attach pictures to a Post/Reply;
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post129148

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Dec 04 2012 09:13 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved