Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31687 Tue Oct 19 2004 12:35 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I wanted to share something here that I think is important. I started collecting about 5 years ago and when I started I had quite a few tell me to not mess with common globes and go for the real nice picture globes... another words big dollar globes. They told me it was because they increase in value more. Now here is my problem... I didn't listen because I thought there was some very nice common globes that look as good and I didn't have to spend tons of money. As a matter of fact I didn't pay over $300 for a globe for the first 2 years collecting. I collect because I enjoy looking at it, talking about it, not to make money... i would like to break even if i ever sell anything. I did said I would never pay more than $2000 for a globe and did that this year so becareful of saying "NEVER." LOL You can own some very nice pretty globes for not a lot of money. I just wanted to share my experience of owning common stuff and the hobby doesn't need to be all about rare, super nice, mint, new old stock.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#31688 Tue Oct 19 2004 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'LL DRINK TO THAT! ER, I MEAN I SECOND THAT! WELL PUT JARVIS!
COLLECT WHAT APPEALS TO YOU!
I'D RATHER HAVE A COMMON $300
GLOBE THAN A $3,000 GLOBE MAKING ME ALL NERVOUS THAT IT MIGHT GET DAMAGED, STOLEN OR BROKEN ONCE I GOT IT!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
BOTW HOST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#31689 Tue Oct 19 2004 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right on Jarvis. I have some common signs but I like what I have and the heck with everyone else. Not all of us were born rich or have been collecting for 30 years. HTH and have fun. Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#31690 Tue Oct 19 2004 02:46 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
right on guys.. but... if i could afford 5k globes.. i would buy 5k globes !!... its just a natural progression... HA.. till then my meager collection makes me happy.. and.. thats what its all about !!

#31691 Tue Oct 19 2004 03:36 PM
C
C
Can't collect globes here in California. Too many earthquakes. Saves me a lot of money.

Go for the cheap stuff. There are plenty of great looking cans, signs, maps and other stuff. That's my two cents worth, of course that's all I have is two cents, so just remember "Free advice is always worth what you paid for it and free stuff is always worth double what you paid."

The Poor Man's Petrolania Museum
Solvang, CA
#31692 Tue Oct 19 2004 03:46 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
well said john. cheese

#31693 Tue Oct 19 2004 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Jarvis. Did you hear about the dumb ole redneck in Memphis Tn that just broke one lens of his new Fyre Drop 12 inch globe. Yea, that dummy wishes it had been a 300 dollar globe too!! I would say LOL but it hurts to bad. See ya in a few weeks buddy.

#31694 Tue Oct 19 2004 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you "collect" as an investment, you'll always be better off buying the rare and desirable stuff.
I have sold globes so I could buy better (more expensive) globes, but I'm not shy about buying commom globes too. I'm a collector, not a dealer. I buy stuff to keep for the long haul.

One thing that my friend Ray May always told me was to buy the best I could afford. That was great advice. If you have $20, buy one $20 item, not two $10 items. If you have $500, buy one $500 item, not multiple cheaper items. Ray, also taught me to buy quality items. Pass on the beat up stuff, unless its an ultra rare piece you need for your collection.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying common stuff.....just don't buy common stuff in bad condition.
When I started collecting I didn't focus on any one aspect of the hobby. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I'd never have enough of any one thing to have a nice collection. My collecting evolved over time and I decided to narrow my focus. I collected 1# grease cans for awhile. I collected 1 gallon anti-freeze cans for awhile, etc, etc. Globes have always been the thing that tripped my trigger so I finally made up my mind to concentrate on them. I sold off most of my signs. I sold most of my cans (I kept the quarts), I sold my gas pump S&P shakers, etc. I still collected on a tight budget, but instead of going to a show and buying several cans, I'd buy one globe.
Buy common or rare, whatever puts a smile on your face. Buy items in good condition. Unless you have unlimited room (and budget) pick a few certain areas of the hobby to concentrate on. Very few collectors have the space and money to not be focussed on certain things.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#31695 Tue Oct 19 2004 07:13 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good thread Jarvis....
Let's face it...This hobby is a bit like collecting cars. Some have the money for a numbers matching original...say Corvette!
(Had to get that Chevy thing going again)
Others can only afford a nice "driver" (me again). I always say go for what makes you happy and what you can afford. There are tons of "killer globes" out there, and if I bring home one of those hi-end honeys, well...let's just say "Killer Globe" would have a whole new meaning! Some people are in the hobby as an investment, and hey, that's fine. Others just like the stuff and don't care if they ever sell it...at least short term. As for me, many of the goodies I've found all have a story to tell, and that's the part I enjoy most!

Sinclair Joe
#31696 Tue Oct 19 2004 07:33 PM
M
M
You know Jarvis, It really isn't always about the money. I bought a $325.00 pump plate this year, and to tell the truth, I've enjoyed it just as much, if not more than the higher dollar signs I've bought.

But be cautious about buying soley for investment reasons, especially as this hobby matures and runs it's course. Because of the demographics, at some point there has to be a price retracement. Although, it may still be a few years away, I believe one day we will come back from the auctions not shaking our heads at how high the prices were, but at how much they have fallen.

I may be wrong, but I just don't see this stuff having the same appeal to Gen X'ers as it does for The WWII generation and baby boomers.

GO ASTROS!

#31697 Wed Oct 20 2004 12:09 AM
P
P
I don't think it matters what you collect - as long as you enjoy it. I like old DDT cans, but some people think I'm weird .

Even though a hobby can have it's *ugly* moments (busted knuckles + grease = ), there's a certain amount of pride in your accomplishments that makes it all worthwhile...

#31698 Wed Oct 20 2004 08:01 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Buy what you like!! If I like a item I buy it,it doesn't matter if its a common item or a very rare piece as long as you like it and can afford it buy it.
This hobby is not a race to see who has the best collection its about enjoying relationships and enjoying the hunt .
As far as the bucks to buy what you enjoy WORK for it and you will succeed.I don't believe anybody "born rich" would be collecting our stuff give credit to those that have built there collections one gas show ,flea market,garage sale,auction and hunt it all the time they deserve credit.
BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AND CAN AFFORD.
REX
KYSOILMAN

#31699 Wed Oct 20 2004 08:29 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am not saying to buy only common stuff... what I am getting at is so many people look down on the common stuff. Guys sell off the common to buy rarer stuff I know some do it because they need the money to buy the rarer stuff. Then why buy the common in the first place! I know "buy what you can afford"... also heard "if you can't afford the best don't settle for the rest" I just see the common stuff being pushed aside like the stepchild and guys only worrying about rare, mint, new old stock. Bottom line is have fun and don't let what someone else thinks stop you from buying a common globe, sign, can even if it isn't in great shape. I know I bought some signs to hang in my barn and I got some flack over there shape. I will say it did get to me at first but then I got thinking why I bought them. They aren't in great shape but I do know they are originals. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved