Next Thread
Print Thread
#30674 Thu Dec 21 2006 01:30 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I hope this is the right place to post the thread. Didnt know if it should go here or the Showcase one.
Im new and Im hooked. I think I would like to start collecting globes and need some advice.
Has anyone read Gas Station Collectables? Is it a good one to buy for a globe collector? Any other books/guides to recommend?
How much do the globes appreciate, generally? I know this would depend on quality, rarity, etc but if I pay a fair price for one will it appreciate? I dont expect to be a dealer, but might want to start with some I can afford, hang on to them for a bit, then sell for a profit so I can buy a more expensive/rare globes.
How do I convince my wife this is a good idea?

John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#30675 Thu Dec 21 2006 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Much of the info in the book you mentioned is from auction results. Its helpful but its not all you need. You need the globe books by Benjamin and Henderson. There are two volumes. You'll need them both. You should be able to get them through the bookstore link at the top of every page here on Shop Talk. The globe books have a wealth of information on company histories, when certain logos were used, etc. The pricing is out dated though.
Some globes appreciate a lot. Others don't appreciate at all. The globes that appreciate the most are out of reach for many collectors already. If you're looking at globes as an investment stay away from the common and plain globes. Theres nothing wrong with collecting common globes, but they don't appreciate much. In fact prices on a lot of globes are down compared to a few years ago.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 12-21-2006).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#30676 Thu Dec 21 2006 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob said it well. When i started collecting everyone told me to buy picture globes and high priced globes. I like common globes as much as high dollar pieces and there is nothing wrong with common globes. They display as nice as high dollar ones... matter in fact most people that will visit beside gas guys will relate to Texaco, Sinclair, Standard oil.
Please ask questions here on the site if your not sure of something or want info. as i know guys will help you!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#30677 Thu Dec 21 2006 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are a lot of gas collectibles books out. I have 37 myself. I enjoy looking through them and the money I spend on them may save me from buying junk/ repos/ fakes or will help educate me on what things are worth. Collect what you like. That way if a globe or a sign does not go up in value as much as you expect you will still have something you like. I lost a couple bucks buying things for resale that I was not smart on. Plus if you buy to resell, you have your money tied up in something you don't really want. Buy what you like, if it goes up in value, all the better. I mainly collect signs but do have about 10 globes, all common ones. One thing to remember, if you drop a sign, normally not much happens, a globe is a different story. Also, look at the Aumann auction web site, results section. Thay list auction prices of items they sold in the past. Auction prices are low sometimes, inflated at others but will give you an idea of what you can expect to pay.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
#30678 Thu Dec 21 2006 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi John. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on globes or anything else(in this thread anyway) but the one thing I would say is try to buy items in good condition-the better the better. If you buy junky stuff now in a hundred years it will still be junky....Jim --Oh by the the way BEWARE it starts out innocentely and shortly thereafter consumes you. Read every thing you can. shows, ebay, auctions knowledge is key to jumping on good buys and helps with going with your gut on stuff your not familiar with. Merry Christmas!

#30679 Thu Dec 21 2006 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John,
I have read all the replies and noticed not one guy has attempted to answer your second question, "How do I convince my wife this is a good idea?". I have to admit it is a very good question. I do not believe any guy that collects has a Wife that thinks what he is doing is a good idea. I am blessed with a Wife that "tolerates" what I collect. Even if I was making a million dollars a year collecting and reselling. The question I ask you, "Do you think your Wife could tolerate you and your collection?" Good luck when you ask her. And remember, we are all here for you.
PS, I do have an extra dog house. Just in case.
Mike

#30680 Thu Dec 21 2006 08:51 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
John,
There's already been some great replies to your questions. I would reiterate two points...buy what you like and always buy items in the best condition. You really can't go wrong if you like what you're collecting.

Since you are brand new to the hobby, you need more than reference books. Check petroliana auction results, including eBay. Go to all the oil & gas shows you can make and talk to fellow collectors. Try to locate some experienced local collectors. Always ask questions.

As for the wife? Forget it, most never understand. But most wives will tolerate your hobby as long as you don't burn through the food money.

My 2 cents.

Paul

#30681 Fri Dec 22 2006 02:06 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks everyone for the sound advice. I guess Ill start off getting some books and doing my research and determining what I like.
The only concern I have is that I cannot recall seeing any globes at the flea markets around here. I wonder if its that Im from a small state, or I just didnt notice any before, or maybe most collectors/dealers go to more specialized shows...like auto shows?
Ive mentioned it to my wife (who is actually pretty tolerant) and i think I can get away with it as long as I dont go crazy. Ill get some books, determine what I like and start with some affordable ones with the intention of just displaying them for my own pleasure. I can still dream of finding that rare globe in mint condition at a garage sale for $20 cant I?
John
PS, I remember reading a post about someone who got hooked on pumps and he described how he finds himself driving down the road and peeking around barns looking for them. That happened to me today without thinking about it. This is addictive, isnt it?
Merry Holidays to all.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#30682 Fri Dec 22 2006 07:41 PM
C
C
hey im a new one here as well..heres my approach...to start on a small scale this winter i chose a company who's colors compliment our home colors (clay & hunter green)so it was "Texaco"..i sat down w/Kim and sketched out a few views....settled on a 50's /60's look... .promised her i would make/ reproduce, or use reproduced items in order to maintain a realistic budget and not get caught up in the "high dollar" aspect of another hobby...took her with me to Home Depot to buy material and explained things..essentially i made her part of the whole thing!....so within a week, i went from 1 bay of a attached 28x32 to BOTH bay's..cause now she wants "her side" to have a theme too!..so now she's in to it big time!..4 different colors, all enamel's,easy to clean...everything is gettin cleaned/painted...Charlie's Texaco...& Kim's Busted Knuckle Garage/Fat Boy's Speed Shop....im in heaven!...and she's a part of it!...helps paint/hang signs, etc..and its our first collective project together...i will have another garage built in the spring which will be a workin shop...but this one is our "hang out"..and she's gettin a taste of what i am capable of doin with all my power tools, router, drill press, etc...so much so that she's already got plans for the basement!....(we've 5 teens between us!)...so im not goin "all out original",...im saving alot of money useing repro's,....keepin to a specific theme first time out,....clean up everyday,...start/finish one project at a time....end result; we will have a beautiful showroom that will be used by all of the family.....and her and i did it together..can't wait to do a "Gulf"

#30683 Sat Dec 23 2006 07:15 AM
O
O
Quote:
I do not believe any guy that collects has a Wife that thinks what he is doing is a good idea.

I`d have to say my wife "grew in to it" with me. When I got my first pump, I put it in the den while the new garage was being built. When it was time to move it to the new space...she would`nt hear of it! She said, "It looks good in the den, and it will stay there! If you want one in the garage, you`ll have to get another one!"
We now have 6 in the garage...and the first one is still in the den!
Take her to swap meets and auctions with you, you may be surprised! (Wives are very good at spotting signs and pumps across a field, too!)

Too many toys, not enough play-time!
#30684 Sat Dec 23 2006 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oldgto, You have a keeper there. My wife could run over a Johnson sign in the middle of the road and would never knew what she hit. I told her the basement was mine when we bought the house so now i can do what ever i want! That is how you do it... you want to here her really complain you should have seen it when i put a globe on the bedroom dresser. WOW

------------------
Check out GASNSHAKERS.COM

E-mail me at petronut@aol.com

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved