Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Jim, I am sure you have thought about the Outboard forum issue. Since I am NEW here I hate to offer my idea's to soon but thought I need some help in understanding the problem. Since I join several months ago there has been 2 new Topic's add to the forum. Want to Buy & Testing. Since there seems to be so much interest in Outboard Motors & similar items why not open a new topic board. Where Outboard Oil, Signs, Motors, Boats & Pictures & Assort. related items could be listed. Like so many of the members here I do enjoy looking at this topic and have several outboard motors displayed around the house. Looks like there is a need for this NEW topic to be add to the forum for the new year. I really believe that it could stand on its own and add another element to the BEST INFORMATIONAL WEB SITE ON THE NET. I am 48 years old and have never seen such a great group of members that have been brought togather before on one site. Just a idea hope we see a new topic in the forums next year. Cash Stevenson aka Gas & Soda 4 Me.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i would think if Jim was going to add a forum topic it would be "Everthing Pumps" since there are so many questions under "General Petroliana Discussion" about pumps........

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Everything other than petroliana,such as boat motors,soda,muscle cars etc. things we all like belong in the non-petro catagory. the about pumps is a good suggestion as it seems to be one of the hottest topics of discussion. It's all good;;;;;;;;;;;;;;MERRY CHRISTMAS;;;;;;;;;;Ron''''''''

Online Cool
I just looked at the traffic statistics for Shop Talk for the last several months. The topics like Buy of the Week, Vintage Gas Station Photos and Pure Oil Company had 10 times more page views than the Outboard topic's pages that contained boats, motors and fishing tackle. The pages of the Outboard topic that contained oil cans and signs drew additional traffic, but not enough to justify a forum category of their own.

As Ron said, non-petro collectible stuff is always welcome in the Non-Petro forum. It is amazing to see all the other collecting and hobby interests that so many of us have.

Topics about gas pumps always draw a lot of traffic in General Discussion, For Sale, Showcase, eBay and the all other forums. I'll have to give some thought to ways that we can organize things better. If you have ideas about that, send me an email. Click on the tiny postcard icon in this message.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
jim... my point from the beginning was to have a bunch of posts under one heading be it outboards or outhouses. who cares who starts the thread. who cares about how the "traffic statistics" fall. man... for a damn hobby it getting damn complicated. yes... from your viewpoint outboard "strayed" even though at the onset... the very first post, i said what my intentions were. no problem then but enter the cry babys. BAM... something i did for fun has now turned into who knows what. man... i got a headache from all this crapola. peace and love fellow oldgassers. someday it will be your turn in the barrel.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kmann, Why are you taking this so personal? People are asking questions and Jim is trying to be reasonable with facts using page views as a tool.
This could have happened with oil cans and not outboard stuff. Oldgas has never had a topic get so long and go on so long and Jim is just saying the traffic has slowed way down for it.

I am sure your refering the words cry babies to people like me that are trying help Jim by asking questions and wanting opinions from other collectors. I think you are taking this way to personal by striking out to members. Your last post had some harsh words in it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
striking out to members ????.... harsh words ????

W
W
KEEP IT CIVIL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kmann...I respect & appreciate what you did with the outboard thread, it must of taken a lot of your time...

Maybe you just need a fix, this is probably the best porcelain flange sign i have owned, its 6 or 7 color porcelain & from the late 1920's or 30's......

------------------
http://www.roadrelics.com

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Ya know, the main reason I resisted signing up for “OLDGAS” for years is because I have such a hard time keeping my opinions to myself, but now that I’m here, here we go….

OUTBOARD: I don’t see a problem, and I applaud KMANN for his great job he did sharing all the info and eye candy he has with us. Personally I have no interest in outboard so I simply didn’t click on it after the first 5 pages or so, but what a fantastic thread for those that are interested. So what forum does it really belong in? Hell, who knows, but does it really matter THAT much? It started out innocently enough as a true “gas & oil” thread but then morphed into a topic all on its own, but still within its intended outboard topic. I just don’t see the problem with a showcase and discussion that’s so specific to be contained in one (albeit large) thread.

STUFF OF THE MONTH: I’m kinda bummed that there’s a lot of interest in limiting these topics from the beginning of the month and stopping at the end of the month. Let’s take the current photo thread; if I come across some great station photos next month do I wait for another couple of years for it to come up again to share them with ya’ll or should I add them to this thread? Same goes for “pole thermometers”, and so on. There’s also the specific oil company threads. For new or even seasoned collectors to have all the info they need on their particular company of interest combined all on one thread sounds like a great idea and I think being able to constantly add to it with new finds would be beneficial to all. I think that this sight is so well laid out it's no problem to pick up where you left off if something new has been added weeks or months later. That being said though, I do think that the “Buys of the Week” and “Found Along the Way” (my personal favorite, thanks THERMACTOR) should be restricted to their week and month format.

MY OWN IDEA: Since I don’t have a relationship with you guys (or gals), I feel as though I’m eavesdropping on the daily check-in chit-chat, so I don’t read it for that reason. I do enjoy the “non-Petro Discussion and Showcase” threads, so I’d like to suggest a separate forum for the daily check-in outside of the non-petro forum. I do realize that the morning check-ins are technically non-petro chat so maybe my idea has too many flaws to be considered, but I figured I’d throw it out there anyhow.

OK, back under my rock I go… No, I take that back. Probably not right for me to throw in my 2c without contributing anything else to the sight, so I’ll hopefully be able to add a bit to the January FATW from my road trip next week. I’ll even try to dig up some old station photos too, if it’s not too late

P.S. Happy New Years everybody

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 12-27-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I totally think a person should add an item to any topic after it's time if needed! I don't think anyone suggested when it's done you can't post ever.
The outboard thread is over 3 or 4 months old and people are still telling people to keep posting and trying there best to keep it open. That is where MY OPINION is we should limit the topics to there 1 month and let the next guy have his turn. If someone wants to add to a post to a past topic thats cool too! But not keep telling people to keep them going!

I think some people see this as when the of the month is over you can't ever post... that is not at all it. Just show respect to the next guy and his of the month.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
jarvis... you are really starting to bore me. if people want to post and read globes then do it.... if they want to post and read gas station pictures then do it. i don't see this as stepping on someones post at all. loss of respect ???.... come on now... you can come up with something better than that. so jj when would be the proper time for one to post something relevant on a post whose month is over AND BE ABLE TO KEEP IT UNDER THE SAME HEADING ???... 6 months... one year.... chances are you would still take that as stepping on somebodys post huh....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll probably regret replying to this but here goes....

Chuck, you ask who cares about the viewership stats. I'm sure Jim is interested in them for his own reasons, but when I was a mod I was very interested in the stats for the showcase forum. I found them to be a valuable tool when fine tuning the "of the months". In other words viewing the stats helped me to organize those features in a way which maximized the viewership numbers. Over the years some of the hosts of the showcase features would get discouraged because of lack of participation. Often times the stats showed that although a topic might not generate much participation, but had alot of page views. The average person on this site isn't going to be too concerned about the stats, but believe me they are important.
I haven't looked at the stats for the outboard topic so I can't say unequivically what they are, but from past experience I have a pretty good idea that the first pages recieved alot of views, and then viewership likely dropped alot. Thats not a bad thing, thats just how it usually works out.
I don't see where anyone is being a cry baby, just voicing a different opinion.

John, I do think you should have asked Jim privately if there was an official policy rather than start that topic. That way if Jim felt there was a problem he could have dealt with it privately. The moderators often discuss problems privately between themselves, then contact the people involved. Alot of time and effort goes into keeping this site going. In most instances its better to email the mod than to post something that contributes to dischord between members.
When the outboard topic went into its second month I was still the mod of that forum. Chuck did ask if it was OK to continue. Normally I would have told him to wrap it up, but I couldn't reach Ryan (the person in charge of PCOTM) and Curt apparently wasn't ready to start his topic. There was no set rule about it so I figured it would be better to continue what I think was still a popular topic rather than have nothing at all. I do think the courteous thing to do would have been to wrap up the outboard topic when Bill started the sign pole thermometer topic. Jim reported that the viewership numbers for the sign pole thermometer topic were higher than the outboard topic numbers when both features were going at the same time. So I don't really think the outboard topic hurt anyone.
I do know some wish the topic had been kept more petro related and I can't say thats unreasonable, but there are obviously some who enjoyed all that was posted.

Cash,If Jim adds another forum for outboard related stuff he would be inundated with requests to add other forums for old cars, soda collectibles, pinball machines, and whatever else we collect. Lets stick with petro items and share our other interests in the non petro forum.

Lurker, I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone ocassionally adding pictures or information to a previous topic as new items or information are discovered. Does that mean topics should be open ended?
Some feel its disrespectful to keep topics going once a new topic has started. Both sides of the arguement have merit.
As far as the daily check in being moved to another forum... if I remember correctly the non petro forum was created in large part for the daily check in and chit chat.
Don't hide under a rock. Volunteer to do a COTM or a PCOTM!!!!!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Would it be possible to set it up for the regular viewers on oldgas to see what the number of page views are.
I go to a couple of other websites that show them and it helps me to judge if I want to check out a thread or not.
Just an idea.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
All the other forums I'm on (besides this one) shows total views, and I'm on 5 of them sooooooo?

BL

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 12-27-2007).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved