Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28503 Wed Oct 06 2004 02:17 PM
B
OP Offline
B
curious to see if anyone has powder coated any panels on their pump. How were the results? where did you find the matching color? I.E. Sinclair green. Can it be buffed? Etc.

Thanks ahead of time. This is an awesome sight I,m psyched to see as many people who share this passion.

Bill

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#28504 Wed Oct 06 2004 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I powder coat as many straight panels as I can. One heck of a lot cheaper than paint and durable. Your color choices are whatever the powdercoater has or can get. No real matching like paint. I generally try to do side and top in powder coat and then the matching come on the doors. The doors are never straight enough for powder coat anyway. Remember you can't do body work and then powder coat because the filler will not stand up to the heat. I don't believe you can buff powder. Has no effect. I bought a Mae West that was powder coated red and then set in the California sun for 8 years. Really faded. Buffing did nothing. Anyway this is what I have found out with the few I have done. Larry :}

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#28505 Wed Oct 06 2004 06:01 PM
Getting a good job with powder really depends on who you use. You don't want a big outfit that usually does thousands of parts and will fit you in. What you need is a job shop. Someone that will work with you and help you get the finish you are looking for. Powder is available on many colors, but if its unusual, it usually requires the powder coater to purchase a box of powder just for you. For special order colors, expect to pay a premium, as small quantities of powder cost more than what he pays for colors he buys in bulk. Plus, it requires setting up & cleaning the gun just to spray your color. Again, you will have better luck at a job shop getting a special order color done. Some colors require a clear powder over the base color, just like paint. There are specialty powders that are better for chemical resistance, salt spray or UV, etc. For an indoor displayed pump it may not be critical, but if its going to be outside, be sure and tell the shop you need a powder that will stand up to the weather. Even if you are going to paint, the powder makes a very good primer coat.

As with most everything, some places do a good job and some others, well you know. The metal must be absolutely clean and have no paint, etc. Most places sandblast or maybe chemically strip the metal. Steel takes powder really well, some aluminum castings will outgas, but that is not too much of a concern on pumps I don't think. Powder can scratch so I wouldn't buff it, probably furniture polish or the like is better. If you only have small imperfections, you can sand and recoat powder much like lacquer paint. Another thing to keep in mind is powder is much thicker than paint and in areas where clearances are critical you may not want powder there. Something like a pipe that fits inside a hole or maybe the hinge pin.

I'm on my first pump and I will be taking the frame and base to the powder coaters real soon. I will definitely be doing the outer panels as well when they are ready. I have had numerous car parts and even bicycle frames powdered, its great stuff. Heck, I even had the satellite TV dish mounting pole powder coated! If you can't find a good powder coater in your area, try getting a recommendation from a custom motorcycle shop. Those guys have a lot of stuff done and are generally pretty picky!

Bobbie Martin
#28506 Wed Oct 06 2004 08:21 PM
C
C
Powder coated my sky chief pump and my sel-oil can rack (see the Texaco post under showcase and stories). Should have had more work done on the pump panels before powder coating, but if they are fairly straight it's definitely the way to go. You may have to compromise on the exact color though since the powder coater may not have a wide selection of color variations.
If you can find nice straight sheet metal and just have it dip tanked or media blasted you will be happy with the finish.

The Poor Man's Petrolania Museum
Solvang, CA
#28507 Fri Oct 08 2004 03:28 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks guys, I relly appreciate the advice I,m on my firt pump resto. and am excited about starting.

Bill

#28508 Sat Oct 09 2004 02:15 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Powder coating is AWESOME stuff but I do want to mention another system that has a lot of merit:
Base clear coat.
The system I use is Dupont "Nason".
Selecting a finish system is a lot like buying a boat, MANY MANY compromises.
I'm not taking anything away from powder coating, I just want to mention that when powder coating is not convenient nor possible there is proven high tech chemistry in other avenues.

Neal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved