Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think if you are a serious collector and are laying out your hard earned money...you should take the time to do the research and know what to look for. With the current market prices of petro items it is critical to do your homework and be familair with what you are buying. Generally when you buy something you have no idea about...you get burned. With the internet, tons of books, and other avail resources...there is no reason one should not take the time and necessary precautions before making a commitment. People who do not do reasearch are lazy. If you not sure or do not feel confident in an item....Walk away. Many of the conterfeit makers in the US and out of the country are getting smart and trying to decieve the buyers. Many fake signs as we have seen have original dates and markings on them. I am sure these are issues people in all facets of collecting experice. Reproduction/counterfeit items are in every industry. Anywhere people can make a buck they will flock.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis,

I agree with you, there is no protection for the buyer anymore (except on eBay).

You would think that an auction house charging 15% buyers premium (or more) and x percentage sellers premium would do 5 minutes of homework to be able to tell the bidders "this sign is an original", "this sign is a reproduction", or "we don't know if this sign is an original". It's just to easy to say "buying as is, where is"

Just my opinion.

Jamie

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Lots of auctioneers know they are selling fakes. They are counting on the uneducated bidder who doesn't.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I agree, if they can make money they will do it. Had a fake porcelain Mobil horse at an auction last week. They said it was from the 70's when in reality it was prob may two years ago. As long as they bid the price up and make buyers think they are getting a deal the auctions houses think they are golden. Many uneducated buyers out there.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tbird, I agree people need to do there research if your a serious buyer. Not everyone at auctions are "pure gas collectors or serious buyers" though. Like i said my parents loved going and buying and many times paid way more than an item was worth. It didn't matter if they paid to much or to little but they liked it. They didn't like the fact that someone passed off a fake as an original and paid way, way more than it was worth. They have not bought one single item since.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
E
E
Ugh.......if buying a sign in INDIA, doesn't raise a red flag, what will? Hard for me to feel sorry for people that ignore something like that...jmo.....I agree with Wes.....Either buy at your risk, or wait till your educated......again...jmo. I don't' feel sorry for the folks sending money to Ethiopia either!

Last edited by ebaygenious; Sat Feb 18 2012 07:25 PM.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
The statement of "buyer beware" is the same as the mortgage industry was in 2007-08 and looked what happened to that mess... People need to educate themselves NOT depend on others to do it for them when it comes to parting with their money, take responsiblity and take of yourself.. if it looks to good to be true , it probably is.. WOW, now I sound like an old philosifer.. LOL !!! BUT TRUE !

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Jay Leeper
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
LoL laugh

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
grin

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved