Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
i'm looking for some good detailed pics of a wayne 50 showcase pump or any other brand that manufactured a pump with a similar oversized showcase bottom section. all the pics i've found are mostly straight ahead shots & i would like to see closeups of the sides of the head unit & possibly pics showing the detail of the case & how it was assembled.
after spending most of the weekend moving all the coke boxes & gas pumps back under cover, i kinda got reaquainted with all of the stuff that i own. i have a tokheim 39 thats been sitting around for years without a base & the lower parts of the frame/skins rusted off. i had always figured i would get a base & pair of doors & shorten the whole thing a couple inches & restore it but really got a "wild hair" idea this weekend while moving it yet again. why not cut the top section off below the computer & fabricate a showcase bottom similar to the wayne 50 & make a fantasy pump? it would be more fun than parting it out & be a nice display piece that is easier on the wallet than a real one. all the pieces i would need could be salvaged from other pumps that the bottoms are damaged/rotted out on, so you "pump guys" can make a few bucks & get rid of some unsellable parts at the same time. here's the pump in question. please give me your comments on what you think of the proposed project & get those pics posted!! thanks!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think you should just fix the pump and if you have ideas about a "fantasy pump" , you shold use a design that has far more art deco lines to it. Don't get me wrong here as I really like Tok 39's but I don't believe that the upper half of one would lend a lot to a showcase pump.
If you'll pay the freight, I'll give you a base and frame rails for it!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I agree with Kevin, I'd lean more towards a 36B or a 60 if was going to do a fantasy showcase...... but each to his own- good luck!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I share the others opinions as far as it would lack the style of a deco pump. But, it would still look neat and I think you should go for it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
But then again... Something curvy & streamlined, with lots of stainless steel! Like the old Disnyland Monorail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juu6qUgeS0M&feature=related

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I have same pump sitting in my garage, knowing your expertise you can copy my base,and doors. Alltough it would probably be less painfull to pick up base and doors as they are pretty easy to come by.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH

Can you beat a deal like that!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GO FOR IT.
I build what I LIKE w/ parts. I'm working on a couple that I'm sure will P... Off the Purest.

K
K
I have to agree with the others. You would need an older pump to make it look right. If you put the 39 top on a square cabinet, personally I think it would look goofy.You could always draw up a few ideas though to see what it would look like. Only thing I could think of is if you were to make all the corners on the cabinet rounded to match the pump. Maybe take some 2 1/2 exhaust pipe, split it length wise and use 1 piece for one corner and the other for another. You would have to have 2 pieces of pipe. Then get some u shaped pieces and cut them for the top corners. That way the cabinet would have the rounded look that matches the pump. I still don't know if that would look right with that pump, but I would think it would have to look better than just sitting it on a square cabinet. My 2 cents worth.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree somewhat w/ Kyle, except I would use 1/4 rounds for the corners [pretty sure that's what Kyle is suggesting, he just forgot to split the pipe twice]. Instead of "U" shape, I'd use some 90deg bends for top corners of showcase.
One thing I'm sure of you'll never receive as much Flack AS I did w/ this pump!

6 Finished Pump.jpg
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Oct 17 2011 07:36 PM. Reason: add AS
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Didn't read all your post Kevin. Yes cheap enough!DB,
Still a joy to look at,sellersrod shop is probably lighting the torch as we speak.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Mon Oct 17 2011 07:42 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
K
K
That's exactly what I meant, DB. On both the sides and the corners. I knew what I meant to say, I just didn't say what I meant.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
ok guys, i guess i need to back up & explain the project a little better & give a little background on myself...

first, i am a metal fabricator & custom painter, so if it can be dreamed up, chances are i can build it. the most fun i have is dreaming something up in my head & building it from the image in my mind. every now & then, the finished product is pretty cool & matches the mental picture smile

now the project...
i should have explained in more detail what my plans were. i never intended to cut the head off this 39 & mount it on a square box. when it comes to projects, i am VERY anal about lines flowing & everything blending together on a piece, be it car, motorcycle or something such as this.
"mental" plans were going to call for a few extra pairs of side sheetmetal panels from damaged 39's. i had planned on using the top few inches from a couple sets to "stairstep" the sides of the head unit similar to the wayne 50, only with more period correct 50's "soft" curves. the upper door sections used would preferably be very early 39 doors (non ad glass) with the slightly rounded window openings that had a slight raised "rim" that framed the opening. i just think those would look better.
now for the case...
my thoughts on this would require yet another set of side sheetmetal skins to use as the side panels, but split lengthwise with a strip added to widen them a few inches. if KW FRITH is agreeable to the idea, i could take the base & rails he has generously offered (thanks!) & should i decide to build this, quarter the base into four corners & add fabricated filler panels to widen & lengthen it so the case would set on a 'factory" looking base. i did glasswork for 25 yrs, so shelves, doors etc. wouldn't pose a problem.

in no way would i "harm" any good, solid side panels! i think there are probably enough bad ones sitting around too damaged for most to use on a normal resto job that would suit my needs...

things are still in the "idea" stage, so no plans set in concrete. i still have to finish the 36B i have apart & 3 pumps, 2 signs & a seloil cabinet to restore for my island i'm planning to build in front of the shop (springtime) along with my normal workload,so it may never come to fruition, but its always fun to dream & talk about!!

Last edited by sellersrodshop; Mon Oct 17 2011 09:06 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I agree somewhat w/ Kyle, except I would use 1/4 rounds for the corners [pretty sure that's what Kyle is suggesting, he just forgot to split the pipe twice]. Instead of "U" shape, I'd use some 90deg bends for top corners of showcase.
One thing I'm sure of you'll never receive as much Flack AS I did w/ this pump!

now that is just TOO COOL! i know what you mean, i'm sure you did catch it over a pair of 34's!!!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Can you beat a deal like that!

i'll shhot you a p.m. ! thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved