Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
sick I hesitate to even enter this free-for-all, but only want to ad this. I stopped by the American Pickers store while back in Iowa for the Iowa Gas Show. There was hardly anything for sale but pictures, coffee mugs and T-Shirts. All the stuff you see them buy either never makes it to the store, (pre-sold) or could possibly as some suggest never bought at all. I remember the episode when they were in the Charlotte area in the old hardware store that the old mans family had been in the oil business for years. They were on the 2nd floor and passed-up a Wayne 866 that had been inside for 20 years at $600..!! At their store in Iowa tourists were all over the place taking pictures, couldn't even find a place to park! Just my info. Ed.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I love this thread (except for all the American Pickers stuff)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ed Steagall
sick I hesitate to even enter this free-for-all, but only want to ad this. I stopped by the American Pickers store while back in Iowa for the Iowa Gas Show. There was hardly anything for sale but pictures, coffee mugs and T-Shirts. All the stuff you see them buy either never makes it to the store, (pre-sold) or could possibly as some suggest never bought at all. I remember the episode when they were in the Charlotte area in the old hardware store that the old mans family had been in the oil business for years. They were on the 2nd floor and passed-up a Wayne 866 that had been inside for 20 years at $600..!! At their store in Iowa tourists were all over the place taking pictures, couldn't even find a place to park! Just my info. Ed.

i too was scratching my head on the 866 episode. they recently opened a store here in nashville. although i haven't been, i did hear that the people were lined up to get in on opening day & "picked" the place clean. i'll bet there were crazies in the crowd who would have bought a turd out of the toilet just to say it came from there...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: cosdencop
But that Danyala is what keeps me watchin !! Sure would like to see more of her tattoos !!!

...pick up a copy of Easy Rider (the magazine, not the movie)... wink

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
The Canadian Pickers Show here in Canada is the same thing,, all fake, they never buy what they say they bought,,, it's just a show for TV.. nothing more,,, another reality TV show,, with cheap actors..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A friend in Bristol wi had them up for a show.he told me later,that they had him hide a bike,and then made it look like they found it in a storage room also said that,the producers are the ones that paid him,not frank and mike.totally staged,don't even watch it anymore.but every body who finds out I collect pumps,always,and I mean always says "do you watch that pickers show?"

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I know what you mean, seems like when I am in antique shops people act like pickers is the ones that know everything, funny I have been going to antique shops around 30 years and this show has been just the last two years and now all the people that are not dealers seem to act like Pickers are the greatest and best information that is out there. They have only been on for less then 2 years.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I met a guy at CTO this year that was on the show who bought some stuff from them. He said he did indeed buy the stuff and that they were nice guys but it is a show and you have to remember that.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The show with the Schwinn auto bike was at a shop here in Louisville and after 8 hours of filming they said they were going to get in the truck and do a parting shot, drive around the block and would be back to have a cook out. The old guy that owned the shop said you ain't going nowhere to you pay me and they did! He didn't trust them either. LOL A mutual friend was there watching them film and sent me a couple hundred behind the scene photos and said he was going to send them to your shop next. No Thanks! As far as watching, i do sometimes just to see the cool stuff!

Last edited by LOWright; Fri Sep 23 2011 06:27 AM.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
but every body who finds out I collect pumps,always,and I mean always says "do you watch that pickers show?"

...groan...me too, Mick...sick

'American Peckers' - petroliana for the lowest common denominator...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
The new term I am hearing more and more when customers come into my office at the shop is "did you PICK all this stuff, like on TV." I say no, I found it.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My favorite is when someone comes to my house that does not no me and says do you know what thing is worth? Those guys on AP sold one just like it for that much. I always just smile and show them the rest of my stuff and they usually back track there comments.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
I just saw the Olds license plate from last week's episode yesterday at the RE Olds museum in Lansing. I am not sure how "real" that sale was. I know both guys involved but have not talked to them

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I saw that, too. It was pretty awesome! I was just at the R.E. Olds Museum about 3 weeks ago and didn't notice the license plate in that display case. But then again, I wasn't looking for it, either. Wish I would have seen this episode before we went, so we could have asked Ashley about it!

Oh, and I love how they said something about walking in the "front door", but came through the exit door that needs to be propped open in order to be opened from that direction!

Even though it's mostly fake/staged, it's still neat to see the cool things that they "dig up".

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Hello Tara...how was the museum? Is it worth adding to a driving trip?
This has been a fun topic for me. I also met a couple of guys at Iowa that have been on the show. They both told me that the producers of the show are there 2 or 3 days before filming and that there are 5 or 6 camera cars and/or trucks following the guys around. We all hate it but love to watch it anyway. It is a phony as a 3 dollar bill. How about Sister Pickers...ouch

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved