Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Now here is something you don't see everyday - A twin rusted out visible pump with a "Black Mermaid/Black Mer" name tag both on the outside and in. Anybody every seen anything like this before? I searched Jack's book on my ipad and could find no references to it, and only time a or two has a Black Mermaid pump been referneced on this chat board was back on a 2003 posting about Black Mer rotary pumps making the internal pumps, and another topic in 2005 that Jack also repoonded to saying he thought that Black Mer just made the internals, but not complete pumps, but was looking into it further.

It appears they may have made a few complete pumps, as this one seems to be branded on the exterior as a Black Mermaid complete pump, and a twin one at that.

The fellow is asking $12.5K for it, which seems just a tad bit pricy, especially since it's condition looked rusted to peices, but I thought it interesting engough to post here for you all take a peek at.

http://swmi.craigslist.org/clt/2514275623.html

From the 2005 posting: http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19873&Searchpage=1&Main=3726&Words=%22Black+Mermaid%22&Search=true#Post19873

Quote:
"According to the information I have, the Blackmer Rotary Pump Co. of Grand Rapids, Michigan (I also have addresses of Petoskey, Michigan and Detroit, Michigan) manufactured something called the Black MerMaid. It could have been a complete pump, but I believe it is only the pumping mechanism and was sold to a company or companies for use in their pump. The Blackmer information I have ranges from 1917 through 1927.
If you could post a picture of the pump here, I may be able to identify it.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book"

BlackMermaidTwin1.jpg BlackMermaidTwin12.jpg BlackMermaidTwin13.jpg BlackMermaidTwin4.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a FLECKENSTINE 200-H [same pump in Jack's Book is a 200-E. E = Electric operated].
BLACK MER/BLACK MERMAID is the pump MECH. manufacture.
Pump was bought by a member here on oldgas.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
yup i got to see it today ...very cool

OP Offline
Very cool DB - Good to know! I thought since the tag on the outside would have branded the pump as a whole as well as the internals. I see it now in Jacks book (so hard to tell so many of the 20's and 30's pumps apart...). Love the Fleckenstein pumps and if I ever come across one of the original twin adapters for the early Wayne pumps, would for sure get it and add it to my 276.

Thanks for the info - always good to learn...

~Aaron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know where Dice has been, Today! smile

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Well the guy is down $8000 from last month....about another $8000 to go and someone might buy it.....

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IT DID SELL & W/O DROPPING it that low.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved