Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#256824 Mon May 30 2011 03:20 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Simple question,but if you think about it that is not a simple question at all.Long term investment?Short term cash flow?Business?Ego re-enforcement?Preservation of history?Nostalgia from childhood/early adult memories?Because it goes with my car?Because I love this stuff;IMO that one can't be answered until you define your motives.

I am fully aware of the possible ramifications when I make this post because I have had to deal with them all many times.

I think an honest discussion would benefit newcomers so they know what they are getting into.Personally,I have no problem with any objective one wishes to acheive,but I think it would be helpful to know where the "mainstream"of the hobby is going.Thank you for your thoughts.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have been into car's and old service station items since I was very young. The quality and time put into making old signs and service equipment is the main reason. I like this hobby- I sell stuff also to support this hobby because what I like is not cheap!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Mon May 30 2011 04:08 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the history behind this stuff. I don't remember it as a kid I'm not a car guy at all just love collecting this stuff.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #256841 Mon May 30 2011 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
had cars and always wanted a pump.no,i dont plan on getting rich.but what i found was something that i really enjoy and also lots of great people.i just enjoy it.also love the hunt!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
s932 #256843 Mon May 30 2011 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was a car nut from the very earliest days and even worked part time at a Phillips 66 station in high school. I was never into the hobby until I "officially" retired and then it was because I was looking for a hobby that would interest me and one that I would be able to physically participate in! Preservation of historical items is definitely a big reason also!
Hopefully my collection will always be worth at least what I paid for it too. Too many hobbies and collections have no value after you're gone and I would like to think that there will always be some value to this stuff!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I like it...

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My father is a big car guy. So I have been around old stuff my whole life. My Grandfather owned a Texaco station for 30 years and the station was sold right before I was born. I grew up listening to stories about the station, stories about the local Texaco distributor (which was a close family friend), and stories about various people that came in to the station from my Father.

I'm in this hobby to preserve a part of my family's history. Plus, I really like porcelain signs (and any type of advertizing for that matter..lol)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I guess I got into this hobby by default? I’ve been around cars and signs since I was old enough to ditch school and go to Carlisle for the day with my dad (I’m 28 now). Lots of other interests have come and gone but collecting has always been a constant. I have been fortunate to meet many great people through the years, that’s one of the reasons I have stayed active in the hobby. After years of going to shows and seeing some great collections it was only natural that I start buying items that I was attracted to. Hence the start of my collection……

P
P
I worked in the oil business for 30 years. Plus, it keeps me out of the bars during the day.....mostly.

Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got into the hobby because my husband (thermactor) was, and I wanted to be able to enjoy it with him. I stay in it because I just love looking at this stuff and because of the great friends we've made because of it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& She can make a GREAT pie from Scratch in a Motel Room!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon May 30 2011 10:29 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love old cars and trucks, so it is only natural for me to love old stuff that would have been at a service station.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've always enjoyed history. I appreciate old things and marvel at the simplicity of design,ingenuity, or just the craftsmanship in a time when building something meant something to people and building it to last was paramount, not profit. By nature I'm a collector of things. Put those things together and lost interest in other collecting areas and eventually I found my true interest. Great history, great people, and a wide variety of items to always keep things interesting have kept me here.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a sickness with no known cure..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Graphics,
The History,
and The Hunt...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved