Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#250011 Sat Apr 23 2011 09:58 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Made a deal with my Dad for my first gas pump the other day. It's a G&B T-176 visible pump that is still connected to a tank. It hadn't been used for some time when we moved there in 1973. I don't think it was new when it was placed there based on the outlines of the gas company stickers on it. Because of the WWII agricultural use tag I took off the hose, my guess is that it's been there since 1940 or before. Next weekend I get to try to break loose those connections that have been in place for the last 70+ years.

The pump itself is in pretty solid. There are no dents or rust through and the only mods that I see are where they cut a notch in the lower sheet metal and cover for clearance for a pipe. There is also a BB hole in the glass that some stupid 13-year-old kid put in there 35+ years ago (me). I think that I can get that fixed. There isn't a globe on it, but there was a bucket over the top that hopefully kept most of the moisture out of the top. Looking online at available gas company stickers, we're pretty sure that it was used by Mobil at one time. It also has a bracket on one of the rods that looks to me was used for signage at one point.

I will have lots of questions as I proceed on this. My first goal obviously is to get it home. I'll work on the restoration as time and money permits, with resources divided up with a couple of '82 Mustang GT's.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
KS 82 GT #250023 Sat Apr 23 2011 10:28 AM
Welcome to Oldgas.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas. It sounds like you have a really great first project. Post some pictures.

Scott Baselt #250350 Sun Apr 24 2011 02:15 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Welcome to the site! Needless to say, great pump.
There are members here who are also vendors who can help you out with any parts/decals/globes that you may need.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #250543 Mon Apr 25 2011 12:19 PM
Online Cool
Hi KS 82 GT,

Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk.

That bracket on the rod was probably for a pricer box. That's a small sign frame that would have held changeable cards showing the price of gas, taxes and the total per gallon. Some had a multiplication table showing what 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. gallons cost total with tax.

Good luck with your project. Nice pump and great sentimental connection.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #250582 Mon Apr 25 2011 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #250640 Mon Apr 25 2011 07:21 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Welcome to oldgas.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #250648 Mon Apr 25 2011 07:43 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks! This looks like a good place to be. Lots of information and a good, friendly atmosphere.

Here are some pictures of the pump I bought:

Last edited by KS 82 GT; Mon Apr 25 2011 08:05 PM. Reason: Fixed images
KS 82 GT #250829 Tue Apr 26 2011 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice nump, great dad, wonderful personal connection! When you fix the pump up, write up your story of the pump (what your dad knows about the history and your childhood connection) and put it inside somewhere, so either your heirs, or the collector who will treasure it after you, will have the story in your own words with the pump.

If you haven't already, post your pump pictures and repeat your first post, on the stories and showcase section. If you came up with questions since your first post, then send the pump pictures instead with your Q's to the general petrolliana section.

Let them know you are new for those who missed your intro in the new members section... : )

BTW the glass looks good, Consider leaving the BB hole in the glass as its part of your story. Who knows, with your personal story, the hole may add value (sentimental or otherwise) for those future owners. If you are not sure, ask the group on one of the other forums what they think. You could have the members participate in a poll on that subject!

Nicole #250894 Tue Apr 26 2011 09:51 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Yeah, I probably should write down what I do know about it. It had sat idle for a long time when we moved out there and we never used it. Hadn't really thought about writing anything down. Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that I'll probably wind up bolting it down on my patio as is for the time being after I get some fencing to hide it from random traffic. Eventually I would like to restore it, but no reason I can't get some enjoyment from it in the meantime. I'll see about the BB hole at that time, but I think since it will be outside I should get it sealed up.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved