Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#246041 Thu Apr 07 2011 03:16 AM
L
lleno Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hey now, I have a sign [porcelain]that has a few dings that have knocked the prcelain off exposing the metal. I see that porc. repair kits are easily available, would I harm the value of my signs by doing these repairs?? I realize this is very subjective, and I am still undecided,as they dings add a type of appeal.I also know in general you DO NOT fix/clean antiques.My signs are not anything rare or special, so we/re not talking big money, just wanted to know what is the general concensus...thanks, Leo cool

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
lleno #246045 Thu Apr 07 2011 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can you post a picture of the sign in question? To show the extreme of work needed to be done?

Alot of collectors feel that when you restore a sign, it's for your own enjoyment and enhancement, not something that will nec increase the value by much.

I touch up signs because i know they will look better on a wall. But come selling time, don't expect to double or triple your investment unless you got it dirt cheap in the first place.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Generally speaking, touching up chips and other damages is something of a NO-NO, and you can actually decrease the value of the sign by doing so. The main thing is that it is YOUR sign and if you think you would enjoy it more with the damages repaired, then by all means, do so!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #246076 Thu Apr 07 2011 09:31 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
If you can pull the repair off and have it not be noticeable, do it. I know if I do any "touch-up" work and there is any slight variance that might be unnoticable to everyone else, my eye will ALWAYS jump right to that spot. But that's just me.

BIGTOM #246093 Thu Apr 07 2011 10:40 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I would never buy a sign which is touched up, or touch one up myself , but to each their own. However if you want to have a sign repaired, there is a guy here who is really good at repairing them. Just do a search and you should find him. he can help you.

mike

Mike
strnge #246102 Thu Apr 07 2011 11:35 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I, like Mike, would never buy a touched up sign. I don't even normally clean my signs, as I personally like the character of how I found them. But everyone has their own preference. It is your sign, do as you wish.

strnge #246104 Thu Apr 07 2011 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also am one of those who will not buy a "restored, repaired or touched up" sign. I believe the general consensus in the hobby is leave an item alone.

Of course the bottom line is; It is your sign and you should do what you want with it.

Just a word of advise, if you do "restore-repair" the sign and then decide to sell it, inform the potential buyer. Nothing worse in this hobby to have someone spread the word that you tried to pass off an item that had been altered in someway...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
My personal opinion - keep the sign original. I too never go near a sign that has been repaired. Many sign collectors consider that a major no-no. I like seeing the character in these old signs (most of mine have a lot of character LOL). I look at it like why spend the money to restore (which is usu. what it takes and it is pricey) - if I want something new then I would buy a repop - (never). Not even one of them red horses.

TheCog #246127 Thu Apr 07 2011 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm also with the leave it alone crowd. I'd rather have chips than touch-up.

L
lleno Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I figured it would lean towards leaving things alone. I just like fiddling with things, definatly not trying to increase value, don't want to decrease it either.And the ageing/"defects" are appealing, I agree. I suppose I can always purchase a mint condition sign, or near mint, to satisfy my OCD leanings crazyI tried posting pics, but they need to be resized.I have two small signs, a 12" x 18" Texaco fire chief[white w/red hat]and a Mobilgas w/Pegasus[small/shield shaped cutout sign], anfd the mobil sign is in excellent cond..The Tex sign seems to have been hit w/a few peellets of some type, dented w/enamel knoked off...typical I imagine..Thanks everyone, Leo cool

Last edited by lleno; Thu Apr 07 2011 05:12 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved