Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#243001 Thu Mar 24 2011 06:00 PM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
I have had numerous M&S 80's over the years and have never seen this retracter set up.The hose outlet is at the bottom.The hose guard rollers are different and there is a hose guard trim piece on the door as well as the pump side by side.Anyone else familiar with this set up? It was branded Mobil.Thought it was interesting.Thanks

MVC-012S.JPG MVC-013S.JPG MVC-014S.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This has to be something somebody did later in the pumps life. First question is why are there hose guards on the upper part of the pump (the only reason I can think of is the hose was being pulled upward to fuel airplanes)? Second question, where did the upper hose guards come from, I have never seen any like these before? Third, I also don't remember seeing a hose retractor like the one on this pump.

Strange, this pump is really interesting.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm surprised that Jack has never seen a Ozarkie rigged pump!
Even today Service guys are Jerry Rigging stuff on modern pumps. Get the pumps back on-line w/ what ever it takes to make it work.
I can see hose being pulled up for fueling boats on trailers than I can for fueling airplanes. Most hangers here at airport either used overhead attached hoses or 20 footers attached to pump.
Upper hose guards look like Dish Towel Holders.

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Ozarkie rigged! Good one Dick.

M
M
May be an unusual MS 80, but not one of a kind, I have one with the very same set up. Mine does not have the pipe extension of the lower outlet but otherwise identical. I.D. tag has model 80, series 1-B.

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Originally Posted By: mrsocony
May be an unusual MS 80, but not one of a kind, I have one with the very same set up. Mine does not have the pipe extension of the lower outlet but otherwise identical. I.D. tag has model 80, series 1-B.
Do you know the history of the pump?Where it was used?Any pictures? Thanks

M
M
Unfortunately I do not have any history on my pump. I have restored it and when I did I added a porcelain high top and original black dot faces. I will get some pictures posted.

M
M
As you can see the hose guards fit the pump contour perfectly so I belive the pump was manufactured this way.

DSCN6899_small.jpg DSCN6900.jpg DSCN6901.jpg
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Thanks for the pictures of your restored pump.It looks great.OK pump guys looks like a production pump and not a jerry rigged ozarkie special!Jack,any info on that model #? Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought several of this exact version from a Sunoco dealer in Ohio a few years ago. They had all the Sunoco emblems on them. Sure looked to me that this was they came straight from the factory.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen some like this also but I don't remember the retractor part of it.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Looks and sounds to me like a factory job. What are the odds two Model 80's "rigged" up the exact same way from different parts of the country. Not very likely if you ask me.... Very good info though. This is a new variation to me.

Last edited by Philip; Thu Mar 31 2011 07:37 PM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Mark sent you a couple pictures of mine and it looks like to me it was to protect the pump from the cable retractor as mine is an original conoco and the cable would drag on pump when pulled either way without these my 2 cents Laroy how do you attach pictures when doing a quick reply??? never mind when i went to edit-- it brought up file manager to attach pictures

100_2614.jpg 100_2618.jpg
Last edited by pasngas; Sun Apr 03 2011 07:37 PM.
I think I lost a part to my M&S 80.....how does the nozzle latch mechanism connect inside the pump?

Last edited by Dynamite; Sun Apr 03 2011 08:14 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought four pumps just like that from a large trucking company about four or five years ago. Two were for diesel and two for gas. He said he had them since they were new. Sorry I wasn't recording pictures of everything back then. But the hose rods were the same.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved