Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16392 Fri Apr 21 2006 05:02 AM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Jeff Grigg sent me this email that he recently received concerning an item offered for sale here. It is usually a scam when there is an offer to buy something for more than the required price and a refund is expected. Foreign cashiers checks and money orders can be made up to look very real and may take over a month to bounce.

Don't fall for this:

" I just place a look on your item and i am interested in immediate for the item,but before i proceed on this transaction i will like to ask some question as follow. 1. Do you accept a (Cashier Check/Money Order) as a mode of payment? 2. What is the final asking prize you can go at last? 3. Will you let our shipping company to come to you house for the pick up of the item cos we don't want you to worry yourself about the shipping of the item our shipper company i'll responsible for that. 4. if you agreed with our term You are to send your FULL NAME, CONTACT ADDRESS,TEL # to mail out the payment today. 5. Will you be able to send the excess fund back to the shipper company via western union money transfer same day you recieve and cash the check for the arrangement of the home pick up from your house down to my store.FREE TO EMAIL US BACK AT ************ "

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#16393 Fri Apr 21 2006 07:29 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That is Sooooo bad. I can't believe anybody would take it seriously. Even if they were not aware of the overpayment scams floating around.

#16394 Fri Apr 21 2006 07:53 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Potts--The inmates are loose in Nigeria once again. I always wondered where used computers went to--West Africa it seems. I had a hilarious experience with one of these clowns. Seems a person sent a FedEx envelope from Nigeria to a lady in Dallas. The address on the package didn't exist. Package went to FedEx Security who inspected the contents. There were 15 seperate checks in the package including one with my name on it. FedEx Security called me. The phony checks were from every imaginable company and/or financial institution---Coca Cola, IBM, B of A, Maryland State Employees Credit Union, etc. I gave her my permission to use the check made out to me for wallpaper in her office! It was tough giving her that $10,000 phony check for a $3500 purchase---NOT!!! LOL I think I have an allergy to rubber...

Dave Folck
#16395 Fri Apr 21 2006 10:41 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Wow, thats bad even for the shady Nigerians. Usually they won't actually tell you that they're going to overpay. Usually they'll just do it, then claim it was a mistake and ask for a refund. You'd think they'd at least find someone who could **almost** write english.

#16396 Fri Apr 21 2006 12:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Foreign signs and foreign money orders suck Hickory Farms beef sticks !!!!! I saw the same scam in an auction yesterday

#16397 Sat Apr 22 2006 07:13 PM
i had three in my email monday,but i didn't give them much thought and deleted them.they said they wanted to buy my product.i have no product to sell,but i have two ads on old gas collectibles looking for aro equipment parts.one was exactly like yours,one had even worse grammer and the other one sounded very legit.

#16398 Sat Apr 22 2006 08:13 PM
P
P
Hey! I haven't found beef stick available anywhere here in Vancouver, so I get some whenever I'm in the States!

I'd suggest giving the scammers an address (get one off of your junk mail?) so that they waste their money on postage!

#16399 Wed Apr 26 2006 07:29 PM
O
O
There`s a guy with a website called "Reverse Scam" where he actually responds, and strings the scammers along with several e-mail exchanges. Hilarious reading.
http://reversescam.com

------------------
Too many toys, not enough play-time!

Too many toys, not enough play-time!
#16400 Wed Apr 26 2006 08:09 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
old Billie Bob got me LMAO tooo funney oldgto.........
REX LIKES BILLIE BOB

#16401 Thu Apr 27 2006 01:55 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I HAVE BEEN RECEIVING 3-5 SCAM PROPOSALS A DAY TO BUY THE ITEMS I HAD FOR SALE NOW FOR A WEEK.I HAD TO TAKE MY ADS OFF.I APPRECIATE THIS SITE.ITS THE UNDESIRABLES OUT THERE MOST WHO APPEAR TO BE OUT OF THE COUNTRY UK, AFRICA ETC. THAT ARE RUINING IT.ONCE AGAIN THIS SITE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
TOMD

TOMD
#16402 Thu Apr 27 2006 05:07 PM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
The Oldgas.com Classifieds protects the email address of each advertiser so it is not displayed or otherwise available to scammers or spam abusers. Readers may contact advertisers by clicking on the "Reply to Ad" link and reply using a form. The sender will only see the advertiser's email address if the advertiser replies back to the sender.

Anytime you advertise on the Internet, you take the chance that a few nuts will bother you. Just delete the messages. Never respond to them in any way. The scammers will not learn your email address through Oldgas.com Classifieds. Don't let a few nuts stop you from participating.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved