Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14957 Fri Apr 25 2008 06:51 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
As I read some of the posts here about the increase of people stealing at the petroliana swap meets, I've also been told by the guys on the antique auto swap meet scene that it is getting a LOT worse there also.

I suppose the reasons are many. Maybe this is common when the economy is tanking like it is. People are desperate for extra money today for whatever the need may be.

I am sure that the vendors are trying to help each other by watching the other guy's stuff too if he can. But there are some pretty slick characters out there ready to rip you off and it is a full time job just keeping an eye on your own stuff.

Maybe vendors need to install a few strategically placed video cameras to record who is looking at their stuff, what they are doing with it, etc.

Too bad it has gone this way but seems like so many people don't know the difference between right and wrong today. If this continues, and it will, the better stuff will stay hidden because it will be too risky to put it out there for sale. I suppose visible gas pumps are safe because of the size but who knows??

This is happening at the auctions too. Incredible and I also think it's disgusting.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14958 Fri Apr 25 2008 09:15 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This is also a big problem in antique malls. Just recently, I lost a gas truck bank, a Heinz glass and 3 lids off quart oil cans and who knows what else. At shows you have to watch your merchandise because there is always someone trying to get something for nothing. The worst the economy gets the more they think they're entitled to your stuff.

Bob

#14959 Fri Apr 25 2008 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most don't steal because they can't afford the item, it's a sickness & they enjoy the thrill of doing it. If they can't afford to buy item, why go to a show/swap meet/antique store ? It's just the challenge of can I get away with something.
db

#14960 Fri Apr 25 2008 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For the most part, I agree with Dick. I also think there are people who collect oil and gas (or whatever they collect) that go to shows to try to steal becasue they can't afford it or don't want to pay that much and "just have to have it." We have all heard of signs, pumps, etc disappearing from buildings. Look at the number of discussion that there have been about people who make reproductions with the intent of disceiving people about their authenticity. Anyway, I am not trying to preach or point fingers. But as money gets tighter and prices of our items go up, there will probably be more theft.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#14961 Fri Apr 25 2008 04:26 PM
710 Offline
Hey Dick. You will think this this one funny. I had several of your fake cans to hold places until I found the real ones. Long story short, I took some to a swap meet to give to friends if they wanted them, someone stole them off the table. They probably thought they made a killing. Thieves are stupid!

#14962 Fri Apr 25 2008 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yea, well as gasoline rose over $3.00 a gallon my theft of my vending machines has increased ruthlessly. It used to be “since 1993” I would only loose about 2-3 machines every year to theft, last year I lost 34 machines and so far this year I have lost 26 machines. People are stealing them left and right putting me straight into bankruptcy. This is ONLY happening because of the gas prices squeezing the people who are already living on the edge and hardly eating. You could see the spikes every time they would raise the gas over $3.00 – when that happened the theft went wild, and when it went back down it stopped. Today the vending machine owners like me will all be out of business in 2 years or less.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

#14963 Fri Apr 25 2008 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis,
How many station bathrooms have you been in that didn't have any Graffiti ?
& you put condom machines there, hoping they won't steal them ! Now that would be a Trophy [OOPS, that might be a Brand name], stealing a machine behind a closed & locked door.

My cans are good enough to fool the thieves & dated to protect the collector ! LOL
Missed ya at Roy's.
db

#14964 Fri Apr 25 2008 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Dick - I don't have any condom machines!!!

My theif father by the way has condom machines in 14 states, and he only lost about 1 a year back when I last talked to him 5+ years ago. And in the C-stores where he has them there is no problems with theft or writing on walls etc.

I own CANDY VENDING MACHINES! They are in the front of the stores. Doing this since 1993 I can point clearly to the PRICE OF GAS as the main factor of theft and can prove it.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 04-25-2008).]

#14965 Fri Apr 25 2008 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How many gallons of gas can they buy from money in a candy machine [@ $3.85 per gal.] ?
Theft around here is to buy Crack, not gas.

#14966 Fri Apr 25 2008 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Think about it, why would theft go WAY UP when gas hits 3+ a gallon but DOWN when it went back down below 3 a gallon - then increase and STAY up when it kept going up.

Let us see, candy machines hold around 60 bucks in cash - plus they sell the machines on ebay for another 60-180 bucks and they eat the candy. Win Win.

Theft of all kind is going up because people DO NOT HAVE MONEY! They changed the bankruptcy laws just in time for this. Credit card debt is at an all time high, and so are non-payments. People are doing desperate things because they do not have the money they used to. Theft of copper is at an all time high - even copper wire. Food is WAY UP now. Theft of aluminum is at an all time high; heck one person just was busted for stealing storm doors off peoples homes at night. He is not alone in doing that - because people are loosing their doors all over town - tonight its there - in the morning its not.

Around here, they want Meth not crack. However, most of these jerks will smoke anything they can get.

They will take anything. I had a garage sale where people were stealing things that I only wanted 25 cents for - never had the problem before either!!! Wana bet its GAS PRICES causing this problem! I bet it is because even sales from my candy vending is down because the people buying don't have the extra 25 cents anymore - it went to GAS.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

#14967 Fri Apr 25 2008 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis is on the right track. Anger/frustration with your "lot in life" can be exacerbated by high gas/energy prices which has a major impact on the cost of the basics as well as disposable dollars. 30 years ago, power bills (at least in Montana) were more of an inconvenience, now it is a major part of the family budget. When you start messing with peoples' way of life...watch out. Even the most law abiding person can be turned into a common criminal. There are psychological factors at work. Looks at peoples' behavior during hurricane Katrina. There were acts of kindness and heroism, there was also the flipside. People felt threatened and some behaved like animals. Some people changed and some bad people just kept on doing what they normally would anyway. There have been studies for years on how human behavior changes when they are put into different situations. I often wonder why gas stations still have mega sized billboards advertising the price. Here, in Montana, anyway, most gas doesn't vary from station to station by a penny. Seeing the high price as you drive by doesn't make you feel better about the oil companies. If they didn't have them the only time you would be reminded is when you actually pulled into the pump....Anyway....$3.56 here today for regular unleaded.

Alex
#14968 Fri Apr 25 2008 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry for the double post.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 04-25-2008).]

Alex
#14969 Fri Apr 25 2008 09:45 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Since I don't set up to sell items at petro swap meets anymore, I really can't expand on the original post, that more thing are being stolen than before.
I do remember even as far back as the late 1980s people stealing items from our booth. I agree with DB, it isn't so much the time, it is the people, you just can't trust everyone. Don't put everying on the table, just put examples of what you have.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#14970 Fri Apr 25 2008 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People are not stealing because of higher gas prices, it's because most have lost their jobs, their houses or cars. Parents are not giving their kids as much spending money because of that. Even if/when fuel reaches $7 per gal. we will still buy & bitch. With the raising prices of fuel, new guzzling vehicles are still being sold.
When gas sold for 34 cents gal., cars were $2500, houses were $20,000/$50,000, scrap alum. was 16 cents a lb. Now gas is almost $4 & cars cost $30,000+ & houses are over $300,000 & scrap alum. is 60 cents a lb.
TEXACO sign $19,000
HARBOR sign $60,000
Not everyone is hurting.

#14971 Fri Apr 25 2008 11:33 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
DB
Your reasoning goes back and forth.

I don't believe people steal because the they have lost their homes/jobes etc. The honest people do what they have to, to survive.

The people who are stealing are the ones who have always taken things that don't belong to them.

My feeling is that these same people are stealing more, because they are paying higher gas prices, etc., it is not the the general public that has now taken it upon themselves to start stealing.

There are a ton of great guys in this hobby and in the auto hobby that go to swap meets and walk around looking at items. In the past they were able to buy many of the items, but now, because of the higher gas prices/etc. they can now only buy a few items, they are not resorting to stealing.

Again I believe it is the same guys that have been stealing all along that are continuing to steal, maybe a little bit more, because of the high gas prices/etc.

I wish I had a formula to determine who is who, but I do not, so my advice is just keep an eye on everything you have on your table, put the lower price thing in front of you, put the high dollar items behind you, make them ask you to look at them.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved