Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#106032 Mon Oct 18 2004 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Shop Talk is nearing 2200 members. Jim tells me page views regularly run at about 400,000 per month. I'd like to think that our ever increasing number of Showcase Features have played a part in the popularity of Shop Talk.
We currently have seven regular features, Collectible Of The Week, Buys Of The Week, Quart Of The Month,Company Of The Month, Sign Of The Month, Globe Of The Month, and Pump Of The Month. We'll soon have an 8th feature, Restoration Of The Month. It will debut on the 25th. As you can see we're trying to cover as many different aspects of the hobby as possible. I hope you find these features enjoyable and informative. The ideas for these features come from a variety of Shop Talk users. Most have evolved from the things we talk about on this site. I'm always looking for ideas to improve existing features or ideas for new features. Here are some of the things that are on the table right now.

Reproduction Of The Month. A known repro would be pictured along with a known original. The host would give info on dimensions, color variations, marks, etc. This feature could be extremely beneficial, especially to those new to the hobby.

Map Of The Month. This feature would be set up like SOTM and GOTM where maps from one company (and its affiliates) would be posted.It seems that most collectors have at least a few maps. This could become a popular feature.

Since QOTM will soon be through the alphabet,would there be any interest in a feature on other size cans?
Can Of The Month, the format would be the same as QOTM (post cans monthly in alphabetical order). Any size can could be posted. I know we have guys that collect 1# grease cans, 5 quart cans, handy oilers,cone top cans, car care product cans, etc.

Story Of The Month, the host would recruit a different person for each month (like Company Of The Month is done). The recruit would tell the story of how he or she found that special item for their collection. Everyone has a great story about something in their collection. Tom 2 tone's entertaining stories were the inspiration for this proposed feature.

In addition to our regular features I think it would be great if we had some special features to cover things like Tire Ashtrays, Gas Pump Salt and Pepper Shakers, Etc.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these (or other)possible features. You can post them here or email them to me.
Also, please email me if you want to volunteer to host a feature.

Bob Drake
Lastgas15, Moderator of Showcase and Stories
Lastgas15@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 10-18-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#106033 Mon Oct 18 2004 03:20 PM
C
C
Bob,
You're doing a great job as are all of the moderators and these are all great ideas. I condsider my self a relatively new user of the Oldgas site and the reason I keep coming back is the great showcases. It's the best way for me to get schooled in the hobby, by people that have been at it for a long time.
Would be great to see a feature on ideas for different ways of displaying your collections (like the one on oil cans), especially for guys that have limited space. Some people are very creative at arranging things and cramming a lot into a little room (Like Glenn (Wads) collection in his office).
Keep up the great work!

The Poor Man's Petrolania Museum
Solvang, CA
#106034 Mon Oct 18 2004 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When quart of the month is over we should do 5 Qts and two gallons maybe together. Don will keep us busy with that one. Another idea might be oiler of the month. I have a few of all the above. Remember anyone that has a sign for sign of the month if you send me a picture I can post it. Thanks Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved