Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#789326 Wed Mar 22 2023 12:26 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Someone may be able to answer a question regarding a Johnson sign that I have never seen photographed or in any book? If you wouldn’t mind helping I would appreciate it!

Looking to find out exactly where this sign could have been used as in bulk plant, headquarters, or wherever as I do not believe it was used at the stations….?

Thanks in advance,

9D8F5BD8-21DF-4623-B1E4-AE5C807D2B24.jpeg 62199EC9-3152-4A0F-9571-8642C2137D5A.jpeg
Last edited by Jigawatts; Wed Mar 22 2023 03:18 PM. Reason: Question moved to thread of its own.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Is the black border at the top narrower than the black border on the curved section? Can't tell because of the low angle the photo was shot from If so, this item might have been cut down from a damaged, round Johnson sign. Not saying that with any certainty, just throwing that possibility out. John

J
OP Offline
J
It is very slightly narrower; however, the black at top is not paint it is porcelain. I appreciate that suggestion; however, I have yet to see any example of a sign from them that had the “Time Tells” in the lower section of the sign? Anything is possible? I just figured someone may have seen this before in a photo of a station/plant or perhaps in’s person, and may have knowledge of this unusual example?

Have you ever seen a sign with “Time Tells” in the lower section?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first thought was the same a John, cut down sign. Especially since there are no mounting holes along the top. But if its a porcelain sign a cut along the top should be very obvious, and I agree with you, I dont know any signs with the "time tells" on the bottom anyway.

Maybe whomever was making these signs in "ye olde times" used the round blanks, cut it down, and put on these different graphics. You would have thought they'd flange it though. Strange.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
1 member likes this: Jigawatts
D
D
A search for johnson “brilliant bronze” comes up with a few things with your style sign bottom. Hopefully a top part can be found, it’s a pretty cool sign combination!

IMG_8566.JPG IMG_8568.JPG
Last edited by desertexplorer; Fri Mar 24 2023 02:18 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by desertexplorer
A search for johnson “brilliant bronze” comes up with a few things with your style sign bottom. Hopefully a top part can be found, it’s a pretty cool sign combination!

I did a quick search on worthpoint, couldnt find any larger round signs with that logo you found. But who knows, right? Definitely matches up.

D
D
Found this photo on line of an old Brilliant Bronze service station road map. Shows an image of the stations lollypop sign on the front.

IMG_8579.JPG
Last edited by desertexplorer; Fri Mar 24 2023 05:00 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you all for responses and these pics! It definitely looks like it could match up? If so, based on the sign part I have I would imagine it was a multi piece sign (not sure why if was simply a round sign)? Again, this sign shows no sign of being cut down after being enameled.I’ll look into brilliant bronze more and see if I can drill down the era and region perhaps this style sign was used!

Thanks again!

I’ll post any relevant information I discover!

N
N
Here’s a photo off the internet showing a brilliant bronze pole sign outside a station

44C1883E-C32F-446B-B2D8-8B51663B8256.jpeg
D
D
What is the length of your sign? Be interesting to know what the diameter was.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Jigawatts
Thank you all for responses and these pics! It definitely looks like it could match up? If so, based on the sign part I have I would imagine it was a multi piece sign (not sure why if was simply a round sign)? Again, this sign shows no sign of being cut down after being enameled.I’ll look into brilliant bronze more and see if I can drill down the era and region perhaps this style sign was used!

Thanks again!

I’ll post any relevant information I discover!

It's cool that Drew found a vintage picture of one. It just makes more sense now. I dont think its a multi-panel sign necessarily. Could be that the sign maker chopped their blanks down and just did that part originally. That's why there are holes around the perimeter but not on the top.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This pic help?

I've only seen the sign in station pics. 2 pc sign, each pc mounts to a ring, not each other It all mounts to a banjo pole?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by GILMORE; Sat Mar 25 2023 07:39 PM.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wouldnt mind finding one of those!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved