Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello all-

Brand new member, and I'm gonna be honest, I joined primarily to get some questions answered. Just to preface, I have already searched the forum and found quite a few answers to my questions, but I still need a little clarity. The backstory is I'm helping a friend of mine authenticate and prep for sale a huge collection of automobilia that is from his father's estate.

My friend has two milk glass Crown Globes, one all white and one in gold. From what I have read here on the forum, the primary factor of authenticity is a threaded base, not flanged. I've also seen mention of a threaded copper collar, which is not present on either of these. The lip of the threaded opening on both of these has a ground finish with tooling marks. There are no markings on either, with one exception. The white one has the numbers "1 - 41" faintly printed on the interior of the threaded collar. I neglected to measure the diameter of the collars (will have to go back and do that). I don't know what span of years these were used, but I was thinking the markings might mean January 1941.

If there is something specific I should look at, such as mold lines or measurements, I can go over there and do that. I have attached some photos. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

-Greg

20220813_111606.jpg 20220813_111908.jpg 20220813_111746.jpg 20220813_112248.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
The pictured globe is authentic. Do the group some favors and post a few pictures of the collection...we love that stuff.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Threaded base is right and there are crowns without threads but are much earlier.

OP Offline
Thank you petropumps and Tankar for your replies. I appreciate the info. I will post more pictures as well as some on their lighted stands. It'll be a week or so 'til I get back there.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Is there a date molded into the top of the globe? I have a repro with a threaded base, but it has "1995" molded into the top of the crown.

OP Offline
Hello model72- I did not see any writing or numbers molded or embossed into the glass, although I need to look again which I will do this Wednesday.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Greg, I sent you a message. Please click on the blinking envelope at the top right of the page, by your name. I have some car parts, not sure if you’d be interested.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved