Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Oh, those MUSGO signs are turning up just everywhere! Yes, we're both referring to the same sign, Tankar. I call the Holiday Inn Ballroom the "Exhibit Hall", since that's what the Iowa Gas organizers label it. Wow, it's hard to believe the NOS MUSGO sign being auctioned is even nicer than the one we saw at Iowa Gas. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Aug 26 2022 11:20 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
another 40k today ! ! ! .. ... cool

1aamus.PNG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.. ... cool

1aaauc.PNG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
may be a record .. ... cool

1aamusf.PNG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The way things are that baby is going to be worth more than that soon!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Where are the high rollers,hardly worth messing with for that paltry sum!!!

I went to Starbucks instead of bidding!!!

Frank Jordan
1 member likes this: Jolly-John
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
If prices keep going like this, it's going to be unaffordable for the average working Joe. Things that I noticed as being rather common & more on the beginner level but very high in my eyes were, Sunoco PP $1,200, Vertical Goodrich Tires $7,500, Tydol quart $400 & Wings quart $100.

Just my thoughts.

M
M
Originally Posted by justgassy
If prices keep going like this, it's going to be unaffordable for the average working Joe. Things that I noticed as being rather common & more on the beginner level but very high in my eyes were, Sunoco PP $1,200, Vertical Goodrich Tires $7,500, Tydol quart $400 & Wings quart $100.

Just my thoughts.

Special auction environments aren't indicative of the real market. They're often 1 off events. The highest condition pieces, regardless of what they are, are going to go for higher. Collectors will still be able to get the pieces they want, they just might not be in the condition they had hoped. It will become more difficult to find "deals" on 9+ condition items

Feb 17th-18th Richmond Auctions: https://bid.richmondauctions.com
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Back in '97 when I bought my first sign this hobby was great and alot of fun. Then money guys got involved and ruined it for the average person. Seriously, 1.3 million for a Musgo sign is just STUPID!! Just my opinion!

Michael F. Moran
1 member likes this: garyh
M
M
Originally Posted by redmike
Back in '97 when I bought my first sign this hobby was great and alot of fun. Then money guys got involved and ruined it for the average person. Seriously, 1.3 million for a Musgo sign is just STUPID!! Just my opinion!

It's not ruined for the average person. The average person just can't buy a 9 condition sign for what they used to. You can still get great deals on 6-7-8 condition.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It Appears Inflation has hit the Hobby Hard ! Just Sayin'

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Two people asked me about the Musgo today. And I asked a friend who inspected it in person. Lovely sign. Worth it? His answer meh.
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been. And the auction houses aren't indicitive of 'value' but of vanity wealth on display as usual.
It's symptomatic of the difference between most people who don't make a 6 figure annual income and those who can spend that much and more at a single auction.
A friend remarked today it's like these people think these signs are 'art', in reality there is only 1 Mona Lisa or 1 Starry Night, not XXXX porcelain renditions.
When people talk up common 36" Coke buttons being displayed for $3000 I know there's a correction coming. I'm surprised Coke hasn't demanded their signs back... lolz.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by carolinaskies
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been.

I've dropped real money on signs, I'm average, and don't think I'm stupid. Usually the people doing the most complaining are jealous.

I'm happy to live in America where I can spend my money making my shop a happy place to hang out. And...I think it's great when people use their money, regardless of amount, to buy what makes them happy too.

4 members like this: RetroPetro, RandyM, advertologist, Wasatch Man
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ohio Oil
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been.

I've dropped real money on signs, I'm average, and don't think I'm stupid. Usually the people doing the most complaining are jealous.

I'm happy to live in America where I can spend my money making my shop a happy place to hang out. And...I think it's great when people use their money, regardless of amount, to buy what makes them happy too.
I agree totally with Ohio oil and would ad that I've always looked at my collection as art and beauty.

4 members like this: RetroPetro, RandyM, Rocadog, advertologist
M
M
Two people asked me about the Musgo today. And I asked a friend who inspected it in person. Lovely sign. Worth it? His answer meh.
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been. And the auction houses aren't indicitive of 'value' but of vanity wealth on display as usual.
It's symptomatic of the difference between most people who don't make a 6 figure annual income and those who can spend that much and more at a single auction.
A friend remarked today it's like these people think these signs are 'art', in reality there is only 1 Mona Lisa or 1 Starry Night, not XXXX porcelain renditions.
When people talk up common 36" Coke buttons being displayed for $3000 I know there's a correction coming. I'm surprised Coke hasn't demanded their signs back... lolz.

What is real money to one person isn't real money to another. We all spend money on things that some part of the population is dumb and frivolous. Those things just elevate in value for certain people.

How many auctions do you attend? There have been multiple auctions just in the past week where there were plenty of great values to be had. People love to harp on the outliers, but every auction I've ever been to has had pieces go at value prices. Most people who complain about the market being for rich people and have "ruined" the hobby are just upset they can no longer buy a 9 condition sign cheap. If it were truly about the love of a hobby, then the condition of the sign shouldn't be a driver. Why would a hobby lover enjoy a 7.5 condition less than a 9.5? In the end, we all want to get the best stuff within the budget we set for ourselves.

As far as coke buttons and 3k, at least 12 have sold this year WAY below that. Look at the averages, not the outliers.

Last edited by MikeMcCandless; Sun Sep 18 2022 11:09 AM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved