Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#765819 Mon Jul 12 2021 07:54 PM
J
jaytee Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just bought a couple of signs that I am planning on selling and like most things for sale, condition is everything and it got me wondering how do I accurately grade these signs? Are there any guidelines to follow or do you ask 3 or 4 peoples opinion and then take the average and go with that or what? What one person thinks is a 10 might only be an 8 to someone else. Or is it just a matter of taking good pics of everything and letting the buyers assign their own grade or condition so to speak. Just curious!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
jaytee #765837 Tue Jul 13 2021 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
As a buyer I have never paid attention to an arbitrary grading number for the reasons you listed.

Good pics with an accurate description is ample.

My son is heavily involved in the baseball card world ... what separates that field of collecting is you can send a card in for objective grading using a standardized set of guidelines. Not sure we have that in our hobby, at least I've never heard of it.

jaytee #765843 Tue Jul 13 2021 09:43 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I agree that grading can be subjective, and that it's best to provide good pictures of the signs that you are trying to sell. Then let the potential buyers make their own assessments regarding condition.

But if you're purchasing signs for investment purposes, or with plans to resell, you really should have at least a basic understanding of the grading system and how it affects value. Here's a link that describes sign grading, using illustrated examples of a porcelain coke sign at various grades/conditions. I've found that it's pretty consistent with the grading used by the more well-known auction companies that specialize in antique advertising.

https://www.earlycoke.com/porcelain-enamel-signs-condition

jaytee #765845 Tue Jul 13 2021 10:53 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I agree good pictures then you can be the judge

jaytee #765847 Tue Jul 13 2021 11:39 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Boy, looking at those pics of the Coke sign grades, it sure looks to me like the 9.5 and 9.0 signs are backwards!!
It could also illustrate that grading as we all know is quite subjective, but that grade 9 sign sure looks better/cleaner to my eyes than the 9.5!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #765850 Tue Jul 13 2021 01:12 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Boy, looking at those pics of the Coke sign grades, it sure looks to me like the 9.5 and 9.0 signs are backwards!!
It could also illustrate that grading as we all know is quite subjective, but that grade 9 sign sure looks better/cleaner to my eyes than the 9.5!
Darin

Darin, you are correct. It looks like the images used to illustrate grades 9.5 and 8.5 are the same, and the images for grades 10 and 9 are also identical. I have emailed the webmaster of the site, pointing out this issue.

jecos #765865 Tue Jul 13 2021 07:16 PM
J
jaytee Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by jecos
I agree that grading can be subjective, and that it's best to provide good pictures of the signs that you are trying to sell. Then let the potential buyers make their own assessments regarding condition.

But if you're purchasing signs for investment purposes, or with plans to resell, you really should have at least a basic understanding of the grading system and how it affects value. Here's a link that describes sign grading, using illustrated examples of a porcelain coke sign at various grades/conditions. I've found that it's pretty consistent with the grading used by the more well-known auction companies that specialize in antique advertising.

https://www.earlycoke.com/porcelain-enamel-signs-condition
Thanks for the link, very informative. According to these pics, my Authorized Nash Service sign is a strong 9 and maybe even a 9.5!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved