Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I've had this for some time, and actually have a corporate dealer catalog from 1922 that shows this in it. That's how I can accurately date it.
So I bought some new glass tubes that are as close as I can find. I need to fill them with oils of 9 different viscosities.
Any thoughts on where to find them and what to actually use?
I know they are not going to be exact to what they were.

20210103_082729.jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Sun Jan 03 2021 08:32 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Steve,
I delivered parts at O’Reillys for a year after I retired. I know we had quart bottles of all viscosities. I would buy a quart for each one you wanted to use there.
Steve

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Maybe try and find a locally owned oil company/jobber to see if they might get you the small amounts of oils you need for the display Steve. I know here we have a local independent company that has their own blending plant to mix lubricants and products for farmers, specialty users, etc. With the relationship I have with this company they would probably just give me the product to fill the tubes as I bet they spill more on the floor occasionally than it would take to fill one, lol.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Darin,
Kind of hard to see, but you see the names along the bottom. I just thought it would be cool if it flowed when you flipped it around.
Do you think you could get and send me 9 different ones. I would pay you for your time and trouble.

20210103_113717.jpg

Steve Coppens
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Steve I will contact the company this coming week and see what I can do. I see light, medium, heavy, x heavy, special, ? heavy, motor cup grease, transmission grease, and transmission lubricant. What is the one I can't read?

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Change your oil in your car, and then take a sample every week. It will get darker..... lol.... (you might have to replace 1/2 quart when your done)

Or just buy the lightest oil you can find at the store, and then add a little used oil to each sample, progressively adding a little more to make it darker. It might change the viscosity slightly.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jan 03 2021 08:37 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Steve I will contact the company this coming week and see what I can do. I see light, medium, heavy, x heavy, special, ? heavy, motor cup grease, transmission grease, and transmission lubricant. What is the one I can't read?

It say's "XX Heavy" but it doesn't matter, just anything of nine different viscosity would be cool. It's all fake at this point anyway.
I can't help but wonder how these got broke or came up missing in the first place. But then again, the thing has been traveling for nearly 100 years.

Steve Coppens

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved