Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#758065 Tue Dec 08 2020 05:22 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Just got a Tokheim 39 Tall and have finally got it disassembled ( what an adventure). It was very rusty and will need a couple of body panels. I have a few questions regarding desirability of repop panels vs repairing existing panels. One is rusted through and will require extensive restoration. Is it worth restoring vs buying reproduction vs a good used ?
I am ready to send the chassis to sand blast and powder coat and need to know what color is correct for a restoration?
I have all the original internals but they are in poor condition and am trying to decide exactly what should go back into the rebuild. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Also looking for a source of parts to rebuild/restore main switch plunger as well as the computer. There has been a mouse colony living in the computer and an incredible amount of material is stuffed inside. I have been removing it and have 2, 5gal buckets full of mouse nest. Not sure of the viability of trying to restore the original.

Your comments/ advise will be appreciated.

Last edited by wolfmanwooley; Tue Dec 08 2020 05:38 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
R
I am doing my own first restoration too!
For the panels, I dont really have advice. I have a more common pump so locally I have noticed a reasonable amount of parts available (certainly more than I expected!). That said, I think the answer depends on the factors in your case. For me, the pump is a personal thing as it was my great aunts. If I needed to replace anything due to rust, I would definitely have it repaired if possible before exploring reproduction options or finding spare parts on thr market. Its more the personal aspect of knowing it was all original to what my great aunt had used. Obviously, cost is irrelevant for the most part there in my case and depending on where your standing with yours and how bad the damage is, it may make more sense to replace. Thats my advice anyway.

Try searching the forum here for the colors, I was doing that for my Shell yellow and was blown away at how many options there were depending on where you are on the continent and when. I am sure you should find colour information on here somewhere.

The guts has been something I have noticed that is constantly debated. It was something that was hard for me to decide as well. Its definitrly a preference thing, so I wouldn't tell you one or the other. I would mention that my plan is to gut the pistons/pump, exchanger and some of the associated tubing but will keep everything else. Anything you dont decide to put back in, might be worth selling.

Anyway hope that helps. And good luck with the restoration. Sounds like your in fantastic shape already!

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
As far as skins if there badly dented or rusted buy new ones, I installed new lowers on my bennett 150 and fit very well. I would only put back what holds it together keep weight down but save the other parts if you want.as far as color depends on what brand station your doing.

Last edited by Tankar; Tue Dec 08 2020 05:47 PM.
W
OP Offline
W
I guess I need to clarify what I mean by the "Color" I am asking about. I am referring to the internal frame/chassis. Hope this makes it more clear.

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I just painted mine black anything that was hidden

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Original frame and internals of my Tok 39 tall are silver.....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
1 member likes this: wolfmanwooley
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a Tokheim 36-850 special that the frame was powder coated silver. I think yours would look good silver as well.

034.JPG

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks that's what I needed!

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks that's what I needed!
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Original frame and internals of my Tok 39 tall are silver.....
Darin
Is the base the same color?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
No, the base itself was originally black. I did a brush rustoration of the outside of the pump 4 years ago in Shell colors and painted the outside of the base red but it was originally all black. This pump was one I should've left as it was in hindsight, but you know the old saying about hindsight.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
No, the base itself was originally black. I did a brush rustoration of the outside of the pump 4 years ago in Shell colors and painted the outside of the base red but it was originally all black. This pump was one I should've left as it was in hindsight, but you know the old saying about hindsight.
Darin
Darin, do you know if anyone makes a castor dolly for the base?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I do not personally, maybe some other members will chime in on what they use.

Darin Sheffer
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by MATT ALVAREZ
This is a Tokheim 36-850 special that the frame was powder coated silver. I think yours would look good silver as well.

Very well done!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by wolfmanwooley
I am ready to send the chassis to sand blast and powder coat and need to know what color is correct for a restoration?

If you want the original color from the factory..., Every electric Tokheim I’ve ever owned (which is a lot) has had the internals (frame and components) painted a rusty/red-orange primer. There may have also been a few silver/grey ones, but the majority are always primer red.

With that being said, get whatever color you like that looks cool. I usually powder the frame and base black (silver looks good too). The base color also looks good when it matches the color of the pump, depending on what brand you are going with.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Dec 09 2020 05:04 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Speedracer
Originally Posted by wolfmanwooley

If you want the original color from the factory..., Every electric Tokheim I’ve ever owned (which is a lot) has had the internals (frame and components) painted a rusty/red-orange primer. There may have also been a few silver/grey ones, but the majority are always primer red.

With that being said, get whatever color you like that looks cool. I usually powder the frame and base black (silver looks good too). The base color also looks good when it matches the color of the pump, depending on what brand you are going with.

-Steve
I am not surprised that the color is red. Lots of machinery from that era used "Red Lead" paint as a rust inhibitor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved