Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I was given a 1948 Tok 39L-HR by a friend who had it sitting in his yard for several years. For the abuse it's suffered - rain, snow, inches of mud on the base and almost everywhere else, and a huge rat's nest under the top - it is in remarkable shape with no major rust and only the access door panel had any major dents - the aluminum is really pretty easy to bang out but it will stretch a bit and that panel is pretty beat up. I got most of the really bad dents out by simply laying it face down on the concrete in my shop and walking on it - a 100% improvement. The pump is complete except for the nozzle and I happen to have a brass one that is not correct but which will look great. I have the computer fully functioning and the bell dinging - the light switch works and the motor motors but I don't know about the pump (and, honestly, it is not in my plan to use it anyway.

On that subject, this pump will be the only member of my pump "collection" as I'm not really a collector of anything but I have always lusted after an old pump - a visible would be my first choice but the price point on this Tok can't be beat. My plan is to make it into a black and gold Golden West Oil pump and set it up to pump antifreeze through a small sump pump turned on by a switch installed in the nozzle. This is not an attempt to make this a fully original museum piece (although that is kind of tempting) it is just going to be a showpiece in my shop.

Now the question. I like the look of an ad window on the short, but I don't think they existed on the large window '48 short - at least I've never seen a photo of one. I have seen them on later, small window 39s, 2" below the meter face, and I like the look but I'm wondering how that will look on the large window. I saw a photo of a large window 39 short with what looked like a 4" ad window above but I'm sure that was just a cut-down tall. It looks like the 2" ad window below the meter face was simply a cutout on the door with a double grooved weather stripping to hold the glass in place, is that right or am I missing something? Also, I guess I would not be able to use any of the repop ad window art available because the all seem to be designed for the ad window below a small meter window, correct?

I'm thinking that a 2" wide cutout below the meter face might look skinny when it was extended to match the big window on my pump. I'm open to suggestions, including simply abandoning the ad window idea. So. has anyone cut an ad window where none cam from the factory?

Here is my pump, the scheme I am putting on it (I have the globe and other new parts) and a rendering of my actual pump with a 2 inch ad window.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/189581072@N04/50584779966/in/dateposted-public/[/img] [img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/189581072@N04/50584793841/in/dateposted-public/[/img] [img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/189581072@N04/50689696942/in/dateposted-public/[/img] [img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/189581072@N04/50689696967/in/dateposted-public/[/img]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
Here are the pix. I'll have to study how to load pix here, it's not working like with other forums

IMG_2751.JPG My pump with ad window.jpg Tok 39L-HR Paint Scheme.jpg IMG_2759.JPG
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
For what it's worth I sorta cringe at the idea of modifying a door like that but that's just me only because someone out there could use doors like that as they are original. But at the end of the day it's your pump. One idea may be to use a decal instead of ad glass if you wanted ethyl on it. Safer than boogering up the door anyway and much easier.

OP Offline
Yeah, I thought that way myself. I even hate to remove the pump and motor because I thought it was great that it is so complete but - it is not a very rare pump, although the doors with the big window are a bit less common from what I'm told. Once it's done, those doors will belong to the pump forever (my forever anyway). I pulled the pump and motor today, pulled the sight glass and cleaned them up, beat on the bad panel a bit (it is really coming along nicely). I have decided to skip cutting an ad window and I'm not going to decal or sign it either. Just leave it clean and the way it came. Thanks for tipping the scale for me fuelboy, it was going to be a challenge to do it right anyway and it certainly is not needed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Make the add glass slightly bigger to fit the large window frame & nobody would probably notice it. I’d throw sum shell signs or weathered decals on & call it good!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved