Next Thread
Print Thread
S
smokey1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I’m in process of restoring my first visible pump/first gas pump and thinking of displaying in living room on a second floor apartment for awhile.
Question for the veterans.
Does anyone have ideas or pictures of a mounting bracket used to attach a visible pump handle in place of actual fuel mechanical pump itself. Either it was missing or in my case want to remove some weight out of the overall pump for transport.
Secondly, if displaying visible inside space, want to reduce chance of any gas/grease having my space smell like a garage.
All the other gas pump bits have been stripped, de-rusted, cleaned and painted or rare metal has been sealed.

So my thought was having a bracket fab’d that had some back/forth movement with stiff springs on either side so the pump handle could be moved forward/aft a small amount simulating someone working the mechanical fuel pump to fill the glass cylinder. Friends/family or anyone visiting that wants to know how these old pumps worked could rock the pump handle..

Yes, could strip/clean/seal/paint the old heavy mechanical pump and could carry the boat anchor up and down the stairs to move the entire gas pump, but not sure I want to mess with all that at this stage as it won’t ever hold gasoline or liquid. Again, less weight the better.

Constructive thoughts or bracket ideas would be welcome by this great community.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
You didn't say what type of visible you are referring to. Some have a single cast iron cased pump and some have single or double action pumps with brass cylinders. I removed the bottom parts of a Butler 61 (it has a double action piston pump) and left the top part with attaching bracket and handle intact. That reduced weight by 60 pounds. Your idea of making a bracket and using heaving springs to keep tension on the handle would work as well. Once you remove the bottom of the pump, that should take care of residual fuel and odor. The pump interior may be dry. Is there an odor problem now?

The overall weight of the pump may only be 60 pounds. You will have to decide whether going to the trouble of removing the pump and building a bracket for the handle or removing the lower section of the pump if it is single or double action piston pump is worth the effort to save the pounds.
Joe

S
smokey1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Great question.
Pump is a Dayton 600 and has a cast iron mechanical pump that has some good weight to it.
I have not cracked it open yet.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
One thing to consider is that by removing the pumping unit, you will be making the visible off balance and easier to fall over. It becomes akin to a sail....very top heavy. We've been restoring these for 30 years and they are the only pumps that we restore with the pump still attached. The factory design was for weight control as well as function. Not sure I'd want one of these to topple over on me for any reason? The pump can be sealed off with plumbing caps to eliminate drips and smells. If you leave the pump inside, the unit is safer and no need to cobble a handle mount. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

S
smokey1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
You sealed the deal for me on the weight balance point. Going to take it all part, clean, and hump it up the stairs installing into the base.
When I move will remove cast iron pump and pack it down the stairs separately. Entry thru my front door is not a simple roll it on a dolly drill.

Thank you Joe and Paul.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved