Next Thread
Print Thread
#751841 Sun Jul 19 2020 07:21 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Seems that as I look over the wanted sections of this forum, because this site has MANY FORUMS, I have noticed many go unresponded or no one knows anymore. Not sure if the old guys have just died out that have parts and know what people are talking about or this site is just not being viewed much anymore. The face book sites are now becoming the thing, but younger people just want either to flip something or something else. Maybe just seeing this wrong, but check out the wanted forum and see how many unanswered questions and wants there are. Thoughts ?

Craig
1 member likes this: oldpumpjack
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Craig Osbeck #751855 Sun Jul 19 2020 10:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I, for one, have received very little in the way of response to wanted posts. I think it's partly due to people not wanting to get rid of something because tomorrow they will find a pump that needs the part they just sold. I'm a collector and occasional seller and I do not hesitate to sell an extra part if I already have the complete pump. For me the joy is in helping someone with their collection and seeing another completed pump for everyone to enjoy.

1 member likes this: RetroPetro
Hardy's Garage #751857 Sun Jul 19 2020 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Hardy's Garage
I, for one, have received very little in the way of response to wanted posts. I think it's partly due to people not wanting to get rid of something because tomorrow they will find a pump that needs the part they just sold. I'm a collector and occasional seller and I do not hesitate to sell an extra part if I already have the complete pump. For me the joy is in helping someone with their collection and seeing another completed pump for everyone to enjoy.

I agree. I have talked to collectors that told me they do not sell parts for that reason. I can also say I have sold parts that I later needed.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Craig Osbeck #751859 Sun Jul 19 2020 11:43 AM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I think there are not as many parts pumps out there that actually have the parts people are looking for. I have some parts but they are pretty common so the demand is not there. I have held back hard to find parts that I think I might use. But other parts I will turn loose of. Years ago we used to give parts away just so the pump would be complete knowing that when you needed a part some one would step up and find it for you. Those days I'm afraid are gone. Richard

Craig Osbeck #751865 Sun Jul 19 2020 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many years ago I would look for parts at shows and bought many that I didn't need if the price was right, especially doors. I've bought a few parts pumps and was lucky enough to have the parts to make them complete. I've also sold parts to others on this site who needed them and bought from people from here for my pumps. I have a couple items that just aren't for sale but willing to trade for something I need. You don't find too many parts for sale anymore so the biggest reason I do not sell parts any longer is because I don't have too many left in my stash! I also enjoy knowing that I helped someone make a pump complete. Brady

Craig Osbeck #751882 Sun Jul 19 2020 07:56 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Comments are pretty much right on, so I guess might just as well leave the pumps that are just part pumps to the scraper. Why store these when the people that make the parts just do not have that much time anymore and it is not cost effective believe me to have a run of something done. Time man is the problem and it makes complete pumps that much more expensive and desirable.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #751889 Sun Jul 19 2020 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I rarely get a response on wanted ads too. I think the parts are out there but like others have said, people won’t let them go. I have sold a ton of parts and some pretty rare parts too. I’m like Brady and don’t have a lot left any more. I’ve been guilty of hoarding up Wayne 40 parts though. It finally paid off as I recently acquired a stripped down 40. I was able to complete it with parts from years of collecting.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
57-Chevy #751891 Sun Jul 19 2020 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by 57-Chevy
I rarely get a response on wanted ads too. I think the parts are out there but like others have said, people won’t let them go. I have sold a ton of parts and some pretty rare parts too. I’m like Brady and don’t have a lot left any more. I’ve been guilty of hoarding up Wayne 40 parts though. It finally paid off as I recently acquired a stripped down 40. I was able to complete it with parts from years of collecting.

I agree with every thing you just said except it is Bennett 300/500 series parts. I am always using what I have and trying to find more. I really like that style of pump so it is rare for me to sell them but have.

Craig Osbeck #751894 Mon Jul 20 2020 04:24 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
In my case, when Tom Buckles retired from his job to supply gas pump parts, full time, I stopped selling the pieces I had. I think Tom does a great service and wanted him to be the guy to call. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Craig Osbeck #751896 Mon Jul 20 2020 05:58 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I would like Tom to respond some times if he has the parts. Do not like bothering people all the time for parts.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #751923 Mon Jul 20 2020 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom is very busy. He does once in a while respond to the want ads but is so busy with requests that he does not really need to look for business. If you need a part you should send him an email. His response time will let you know how busy he is, he will respond.

Craig Osbeck #751930 Mon Jul 20 2020 08:48 PM
C
C
Hey Craig - I am just getting started with a couple old pumps we have on the farm. I think best thing I have done so far was joining this sight. Starting to connect and network with a lot of good folks on here with information. I have heard from several and it is funny to hear some say they have had a pump for several years looking for the "needle in the hay stack" part - but they all say the same thing ..... "It is out there somewhere". It can be frustrating especially early on - but hang in there and do our part to preserve this precious time of our country.

Last edited by ClassicRocker; Mon Jul 20 2020 08:50 PM.
Craig Osbeck #752113 Fri Jul 24 2020 10:34 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I will never forget when I got into this hobby back 20 years ago, I was told by a veteran collector/dealer that I was 20 year too late. He told me all the "good, rare pumps were gone." I have found my share of good and rare pumps. I enjoyed finding a stripped down or rusted out clock face/rare visible and finishing the pump. I loved hunting for the parts or having Ron Scobie make parts for me. Now its hard to find a stripped down or rusted out clock face and if you do you could spend $1000 to $2000 depending on how rare the pump is. Right now I have a 600 series Tokhiem that I probably will never get completed. 2 of the parts I need will probably not get reproduced due to 1) demand and 2) cost of making dies to make the parts. Parts I need are a bonnet and the lower sheet metal of the jar/cylinder base. I wish folks the best trying to complete pumps, its only going to get harder as time goes on.

Craig Osbeck #752124 Sat Jul 25 2020 06:50 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Yes that 600 series tops is one of the parts that people need for sure.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved