Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#749928 Thu Jun 04 2020 08:15 AM
BrianH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I need to remove the handle on my Fry 117 to install the access door and straighten the bent handle. I removed the "thumb screw" at the end of the pump shaft last night but it broke and left the threaded section still inside the pump shaft. Here's my question - do the threads only hold the thumb screw in place, or do those threads also thread through the base of the handle? I intend to drill out the remainder of the thumb screw, but I'm trying to determine if I can just use a gear puller to pull the handle off the pump shaft or if I need to drill those threads out first.

Thanks,

Brian H
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Brian,

On the bottom of your handle is a set screw that holds the thumbscrew in place. I attached two pictures. One of the thumbscrew and one of the set screw. The notch in the thumbscrew is where the set screw goes and holds it in the handle.
You will need to loosen and remove the setscrew or if you have to drill out the setscrew otherwise you will never pull the handle off as it is locked to the shaft.

Hope this makes sense,
Jerry

handle.jpg handle3.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Brian, One more thing, if you did break the threaded portion off in the pump shaft and the thumb screw just turns the handle should come off. The last one I removed took lots of heat and a hammer. I heated the handle red hot and tapped it with a big hammer and eventually it came off after a few times of heating it

Last edited by 42packard; Thu Jun 04 2020 10:57 AM. Reason: Added more content
BrianH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Jerry. Yep, I drilled out the set screw (it was rusted to oblivion) and then the thumb screw came out. All of that is disassembled. Sounds like all I have to do now is heat and cool the handle to break the rust loose and use a puller to work it off the pump shaft.

Thanks,

Brian H
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good to know info.

Craig
BrianH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Got the handle off yesterday. Thanks for the tips. I drilled out the remainder of the bolt a little bit to create a depression for the bolt on my gear puller. I tightened up the gear puller and then tapped on the base of the handle to vibrate the handle while the puller applied pressure to the handle. That worked great for slowly working the handle off the pump shaft. Straightened out the bent handle and reinstalled.

20200604_165528.jpg 20200604_193918.jpg 20200604_193929.jpg

Brian H
1 member likes this: 42packard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved