Next Thread
Print Thread
#745531 Sun Mar 22 2020 07:08 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I just got done hooking up a neptune 855 gas pump to pump diesel with. Everything is working as it should except the computer. Im sure its fine also as it resets easily and smoothly and rings the bell. As the pump was circulating fuel i pulled down and unhooked the driveshaft to the computer from the pumping unit and it wasnt spinning or trying to so obviously something in the pump has broken or frozen up (unlikely i feel) Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Im leaning toward maybe a shear pin on the lower end of the driveshaft mechanism? Is the shaft driven mechanically or by a vane system? Any help would be appreciated. enclosed are a few pics of the pumping unit and the top looks like it will come off easily but im unsure and may just wana let sleeping dogs lie as there are no leaks and it pumps fuel marvelously! But it would be nice to see the computer turn and the bell ring at each gallon!! Thanx for any thoughts or help! Les

DSC00646.JPG DSC00644.JPG DSC00650.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gasgeezer #745556 Mon Mar 23 2020 05:19 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Les, It's pumping fuel, so is the brass collar, at the top of the meter turning when operating? If so, I'm pretty sure that you have answered your own question? Every older unit that has been through my shop in 30 years, has been driven by a shaft that had pins at each end which engaged into slots in the mech. Thereby allowing no slippage. In your photographs, I can see the pin at the top of your drive shaft but not the bottom? Check to see that it is there and if not replace it? If this fails to be the problem, then it might be a gearing issue inside the meter? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasgeezer #745558 Mon Mar 23 2020 08:41 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Hi Paul, Nothing outside of the housing is turning so it must be a gearing problem. At least now i know its driven with gears! Seems odd that they wouldnt work and i dont hear any noise thats aparent. Is there a shear pin inside?

gasgeezer #745576 Mon Mar 23 2020 11:54 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted by gasgeezer
Hi Paul, Nothing outside of the housing is turning so it must be a gearing problem. At least now i know its driven with gears! Seems odd that they wouldnt work and i dont hear any noise thats aparent. Is there a shear pin inside?
Not sure about an internal pin? I usually consider these parts as scrap iron and never had the time or need, to open one to see what was inside? In my opinion, If it works flawlessly, without an issue, other than the computer not functioning.... I'd live with it? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasgeezer #745628 Mon Mar 23 2020 09:42 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
That may just be my solution. maybe down the road if im bored i may dive into it. If i run into another pumping unit thats the same i may just investigate that one first! Thanx Paul

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved