Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I came to this site while researching the work of artist Peter Helck (my grandfather). Over a long career in advertising and illustration he worked on several campaigns for Veedol: in 1919, in 1933 (the green & white Louis Meyer poster), in 1938 ("Death Stalks the Highway") and a very nice series of racing paintings from 1963 to 1965.

I have located copies of most of the later pictures, but the earlier ones are harder to find. If anyone has links to them please share!

I have a pretty good understanding of what pictures (and when) Peter Helck did for Tydol/Veedol, as I have his work logs and day books and so I am sometimes able to identify the work. For example, this thread: https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthr...p;Board=4&main=61093&type=thread has at least one of his pictures, the white car posted Fri Jan 04 2013 04:54 PM. The picture of Admiral Byrd posted Thu Jan 03 2013 06:15 PM is possibly also his.

If anyone on this site is interested in deeper research into Tydol/Veedol advertising I am happy to share what I have, it has the dates for each commission, the name of the agency, the contact at the agency, the date delivered and the fee charged. Also, in my grandfather's memoirs, he briefly relates some frustrations of dealing with Grant Advertising, the agency for the 1963-1965 campaign: http://peterhelck.com/memoirs/memoirs.html (click "Part 2").

Lastly, Bonhams auction house is selling a preliminary sketch for one of the 1963 Veedol campaign pictures next month. I have details and a link here: https://www.facebook.com/Peter-Helck-Fan-Page-185257834866125/

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Cool history Tim. Welcome to the site from North Jersey.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool Tim. Welcome to OldGas.
-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tim, Welcome to Oldgas. Thank you for sharing your family history with us.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the stuff Bob Richards was very interested in. However he hasn't been on here in a few years. Nice to know the history and welcome to OG

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have over 41 file drawers filled with service station literature. Most drawers are for gas pumps and air meters, both of which I have used to write five books. But, much of my literature goes back to 1900 having purchased many original magazines that had ads for what you are looking for. If you would send me some more pictures of what you are looking for I will see what I have. The ad you posted above looks very familiar to me. My email is jhsim@petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved