Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#742437 Sun Jan 19 2020 02:16 PM
L
Lavorn Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is a better picture in the sunlight of our newest Frontier sign with my “pin up” model wife holding it up in the pix. This 1940s Frontier is the rarest of all the Frontier signs and we really hit a stroke of luck to find it.
For those that are Pickers, like us, it’s got a great story behind it: I got a call from my son who was staying the afternoon in Nowhere Nebrasks telling me that he was there. I was in Hawaii at the time and figured I’d take advantage of him being on his way to Kansas to hunt White Tail deer, and since he had a rented SUV. I immediately called every antique store in the area he was in and would be in, hoping for a miracle. He was very negative about hauling signs for me and said he wouldn’t bother with anything but a “Frontier” as he was in the hunting mode and NOT for signs! When I was finishing my last of 3 calls to antique dealers anywhere near where he might go, I was once again told that they had no pumps or signs. The gal then said she did have a friend in a small neighboring town that had restored a couple of pumps. I obviously got his name and ph no and immediately texted him. He responded about an hr later and told me he might have a 40s Calso sign he would consider selling and that he collected Frontier signs! That startled me! That announcement started the avalanche and we quickly became friends and I convinced my son to go see the sign and his collection. Surprise! I got a short video of the garage which had 2 big Frontier signs in it along with lots of other cool stuff. We agreed on a price on the Calso and then my son left to go on to KS for his hunt. Of course he didn’t have the cash on him to buy any of the signs as he was hunting deer not signs. He had bullets not cash! Getting the cash was a problem as ATMs only give $300/day. New challenges every moment! While he was hunting I was making agreements to buy the two big Frontier signs and keeping him posted on the progress. It took a miracle from his bank and lots of work but we put it all together and after getting his big deer he went to see the guy and pay the $$ only to find that his car wasn’t big enough to haul the 5 signs I had purchased while he was hunting. No problem! I came home from Hawaii and loaded up for a nice trip across the Planet to NE and got my signs. Did I mention that I also located an original Frontier sign pole from another collector who also lives in NE? That’s another story for another day. I love hunting signs!

3316728F-66F6-4549-94A3-BA4C308A9945.jpeg
Golden Cowboy Frontier

Last edited by Lavorn; Sun Jan 19 2020 02:26 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Lavorn #742440 Sun Jan 19 2020 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Great story. Congrats on the find!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Lavorn #742525 Mon Jan 20 2020 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome, congratulations on the addition. You’re collection is something special!

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved