Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#741914 Wed Jan 08 2020 09:16 PM
M
muckyp Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. I have looked at many different pics of G&B 176 pumps and have come across no real consistent placement of decals/signage. Mine has holes on both skins but I have no idea what for. On one side there are 4 holes that make a 6"x7.5" rectangle. On the other skin there are two holes about 6" apart. I also purchased a circular G&B logo badge that I think would have been on there originally and also a UL tag that may go on there.. Anyone know what and where things go.

Inked2 Hole Skin_LI.jpg Inked4 hole Skin_LI.jpg InkedBrass_LI.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
muckyp #741915 Wed Jan 08 2020 09:26 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J

J, Micieli #741916 Wed Jan 08 2020 09:33 PM
M
muckyp Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I thought that might be a possibility, but those measurements don't seem to line up. Any idea what would be on the side with two holes?

muckyp #741921 Wed Jan 08 2020 10:42 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Let's make an assumption here. Oil company decides it wants to order 100 visible pumps. It choses the G&B company picking out the 176 pumps. Because this is a big order G&B will paint and apply all decals, oil company signs and lead signs to the pumps before there are shipped. The oil company sends information to G&B as to what colors and how the pumps should be painted. They also include where they want the decals and the lead signs. (Some states required the lead signs to be on the front of the pump, other states didn't care). Where the decals went were worked out and depending on if the pump had a ridge, like the 176 has. This was worked out, and a blue print was created just to specify where the decals, etc. went.

Why do I know this, I have over 500 of these blue prints from the Bennett Pump Company showing hundreds of pumps, the color or colors were to be and where the decals went. I have often wondered, did Bennett have the decals/signs in stock or did the oil company have to supply any or all of these.

So....did your pump come from a state where the lead sign was on the front?

Besides all this, some counties, some cities had specifications as to where the lead sign and any other signs went.

Some states had specifications as to other thing used in gas pump, meaning some of my pump prices lists show a price for everyone, and a price just for a pump going to Pennsylvania.

I have all kind of literature for the 176 and the G&B badge goes just below the rib on the front of the pump (and below the large door). Some pictures show it about 6-8" above the rib. Other pictures show it at the top just below the cylinder.

These pictures are shown on this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gb%20176.htm, and they are for sale. Be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved